Home Sports Talk
Options

In Memorium....

MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
Today on WFAN, a caller asked Mike Francesa a very interesting question. He mentioned that after Mickey Mantle passed away, the radio station devoted one week of coverage to discussing the life and career of Mickey Mantle. The caller then asked Mike Francesa to speculate on the next great athlete to receive such adoration. Joe Namath and Lawrence Taylor were both considered, but Francesa disagreed. He explained to the caller that Mickey Mantle was a hero and an obsession for an entire baby-boom generation. He suggested that Muhammad Ali would elicit a similar reaction among sports fans. As a Yankees fan who grew up in the 1980s, I would have to say that Don Mattingly would be the one athlete that would elicit such a reaction from me. Of course, it would not be for at least thirty years, but the question did get me thinking about my own boyhood heroes and obsessions. What about you? Who is your Mickey Mantle?
"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roger Staubach
    Troy Aikman
    Emmit Smith
    Too Tall Jones
    Randy White
    Pete Rose
    Jordan

to name a few.

edited to add Jordan
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Joe Paterno.....but that didn't work out so well.

Willie Mays would be the next choice, along with Al Kaline.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ali. The one athlete I'd just love to meet. Bigger than life.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ali for sure would not only match but exceed Mantle.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jordan.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Who is MY MICKEY MANTLE? There is no other to me. Although there are many other GREAT athletes who probably deserve the same respect when they pass away, TO ME, there never was nor will there ever be anther MICK. We all have our childhood heros ... and he was mine.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    I played guard throughout my middle and high school career, id sit and watch tape of the greats Larry little, Gene Upshaw, John Hannah, but only one was truly greater then all the rest there has never been a guard who fired off the ball, with incredible technique all done without magnificent size but shear heart and undeterred determination. The greatest guard of all time to me will always be Jerry Kramer.
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tony Romo
    Roger Staubach
    Troy Aikman
    Emmit Smith
    Too Tall Jones
    Randy White
    Pete Rose
    Jordan

to name a few.

edited to add Jordan >>

Fixed it for ya dimeman

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    The Mick!!!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Emmitt Smith? The midget running back?
  • Options
    BurksBurks Posts: 1,103
    Nolan Ryan - My personal childhood hero.
    Michael Jordan (still young, healthy).
    Ali
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!