Home Precious Metals

Moved to BST

Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
SO who here has the best deal on some silver for me?

-Must total $2346.00 shipped.
-1,10 or 100 troy oz bars. Please state brand.
-SAE's or Maple Leaf's (leaves?)
- 90% U.S. Coinage. Roosies, Washies, Frankies or Kennedies. Modern silver Proofs

At the moment, silver is $19.80. .

Curious to see what we got!

Comments

• How do people get these kind of tax refunds. Do you intentionally have them take 40% of your check every time just so you get a refund ? I am just asking because I pay huge taxes every time I get a check and at the end of the year, I still owe. I have never in my life gotten this kind of tax refund, and my last check, all told the gov't took about 35%.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How do people get these kind of tax refunds. Do you intentionally have them take 40% of your check every time just so you get a refund ? I am just asking because I pay huge taxes every time I get a check and at the end of the year, I still owe. I have never in my life gotten this kind of tax refund, and my last check, all told the gov't took about 35%. >>

Well, it looks like you aren't having enough withheld.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How do people get these kind of tax refunds. Do you intentionally have them take 40% of your check every time just so you get a refund ? I am just asking because I pay huge taxes every time I get a check and at the end of the year, I still owe. I have never in my life gotten this kind of tax refund, and my last check, all told the gov't took about 35%. >>

Your annual tax liability is based on taxable income throughout the year.
    If you are still paying after the end of the year…i.e….you still owe money to Uncle Sam on April 15 it means you are NOT having enough withheld throughout the year to cover your liability.
    It is that simple.
    Are the tax codes fair…no, but that is the law.
    Increase your withholding enough and you too can get a tax refund on April 15.
    Of course, it means you would have given Uncle Sam an interest free loan of your money throughout the year…something not wise to do!
    Getting a tax refund is actually a bad idea for that reason.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Thanks for the info . Didn't mean to hijack here. Sorry for that.

Mission, I think if you want to spend it on silver, probably 90% will be the lowest premium. I would just get whatever you can gt at the lowest premium/best price.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, my silver's shipwrecked. Time lock on safe won't open until 2020.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I have gotten 1 refund in the last 20 years for a whopping 139 bucks. I pay quarterly and still fell short 3k this year. I lie,cheat and steal and still pay in enough to buy a nice new economy car every year while I drive a 8 year old powerstroke 4 wheel drive.

I have renters that get back up to 8k a year and I bet they do not make 15k a year total. Some get even more than that. To get the 8k back, you need to get food stamps, medicad, disability, aid for dependent children, free housing and the like. I have one renter with 3 kids that gets around 3500 a month in freebees. She is 38 and never had a job in her life. lol
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Withholding is the key. And I agree it sucks giving Uncle Sam a tax free loan BUT it sure beats the heck out of scraping up funds to PAY the tax at tax time.

For the record, I am a straight, middle-aged, married, no kids white male so there is NO free programs for me to abuse. I have a 13 yo car and a 17 yo truck and I have a mortgage.

My bills get paid and what little is left over gets saved or stacked as silver.

i love silver.

So back to the OP. I've only got one offer thus far. Pretty good too.
  • JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    I'm beginning to think no ones selling at these prices; makes sense. You have the right idea though now is a good time to stack a little. Do have to agree with Baileys comment in another thread, {paraphrase} it's going sideways for awhile. Take care. jws
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm beginning to think no ones selling at these prices; makes sense. >>

Better known as being in "strong hands."

Check ebay daily, some weak hands eventually always show up.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

<< <i>I'm beginning to think no ones selling at these prices; makes sense. You have the right idea though now is a good time to stack a little. Do have to agree with Baileys comment in another thread, {paraphrase} it's going sideways for awhile. Take care. jws >>

APMEX is selling. JMBullion and DBScoins are selling. Provident Metals and Silvertowne are selling. Problem is if you are a recent purchaser that you will sell at cost or possibly a small loss if you want to be competitive with the big boys.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Suggest making a post in the BST thread indicating what you are looking for. Most forum members aren't selling at current prices but there are several bullion dealers that will be happy to sell you some silver.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

Unfortunately the best deal in recent weeks expired last Thursday evening. Still at their current pricing you could buy 105 ASEs delivered.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife and I both claim 0, not 1 but zero, the max. Straight deductions they say we still owe every year to the feds with no kids. We'd be better off divorced on paper instead of DINK punished by miles.

<< <i>Withholding is the key. And I agree it sucks giving Uncle Sam a tax free loan BUT it sure beats the heck out of scraping up funds to PAY the tax at tax time.

For the record, I am a straight, middle-aged, married, no kids white male so there is NO free programs for me to abuse. I have a 13 yo car and a 17 yo truck and I have a mortgage.

My bills get paid and what little is left over gets saved or stacked as silver.

i love silver.

So back to the OP. I've only got one offer thus far. Pretty good too. >>

At today's rates you aren't losing anything with the free loan. And you will get a nice lump sum come refund time. There are plenty of those who are better off with the forced savings.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    "Sorry, my silver's shipwrecked. Time lock on safe won't open until 2020."

Six more years of rain.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't know that you could have zero exemptions and still owe tax, but I think that it has to do with how the previous year's income compares with the current taxable year's income.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

i love silver.

So back to the OP. I've only got one offer thus far. Pretty good too.

I could put together a mixed silver package, type out a list, and take some pictures, and post the pics to you, but that would be taxing on my weekend time.

speaking of tax, it would be very easy to have zero exemptions and still owe tax, I paid cap gains through the nose in 1998-2002, then AMT up the wazoo in 2006-2008,
    On the other hand, have gotten carry-forwards and refunds that exceeded FICA withheld in more recent years. Deductions and dependents have helped, but what a mess.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

<< <i>I didn't know that you could have zero exemptions and still owe tax, but I think that it has to do with how the previous year's income compares with the current taxable year's income. >>

Could easily be done if you have other income not subject to withholding i.e. windfall profits from coin sales.
    theknowitalltroll;

• "Could easily be done if you have other income not subject to withholding i.e. windfall profits from coin sales"

If anyone here on the coin forums have paid capital gains on a coin sale, they have not done there homework. I have been buying and selling silver for over 40 years now and when I buy I try to pay cash and when I sell, I always get cash or check from known sources. That is why I always tell new folks to get to know a local dealer at a small coin shop and get to be good friends if he seems to give you great prices. When silver makes big moves, it is always easier for a dealer to move the stuff than You or I

I almost always sell at a local coin show to dealers that have been buying from me for years. I always return the favor and try to buy from them when something new shows up in there showcase. The BST boards usually have a few good deals and you also get to meet some nice folks with a lot of knowledge.

Keep stacking

Tom
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Could easily be done if you have other income not subject to withholding i.e. windfall profits from coin sales"

If anyone here on the coin forums have paid capital gains on a coin sale, they have not done there homework. I have been buying and selling silver for over 40 years now and when I buy I try to pay cash and when I sell, I always get cash or check from known sources. That is why I always tell new folks to get to know a local dealer at a small coin shop and get to be good friends if he seems to give you great prices. When silver makes big moves, it is always easier for a dealer to move the stuff than You or I

I almost always sell at a local coin show to dealers that have been buying from me for years. I always return the favor and try to buy from them when something new shows up in there showcase. The BST boards usually have a few good deals and you also get to meet some nice folks with a lot of knowledge.

Keep stacking

Tom >>

Never drag common sense into a thread about taxes image.

• Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Suggest making a post in the BST thread indicating what you are looking for. Most forum members aren't selling at current prices but there are several bullion dealers that will be happy to sell you some silver. >>

Thank you. I shall do that.