Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

A few newps

Bought at CICF, via internet live, and some more.

A quite scarce to locate in mint state, one year type, Egyptian gold 100 qirsh from 1886, the so-called floral type. I love the design on this.

imageimage

A Greek copper 5 lepta, that looks more RB than BN to me.

imageimage

And yet another Greek 1910 drachma. I just can't resist these when they look so nice and the price is right.

imageimage

A 1832 drachma that I had sold 2 years ago, but decided to repurchase it at a reasonable premium. I had bought it raw and it graded PCGS MS65 two years ago.

And a key date farthing for the Geo V series that I crossed to PCGS as MS65RB

imageimage

And a few of the 40+ notes that I've been buying recently,the majority of which raw, and of which 20 are on their way to PMG.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

Comments

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lovely stuff, especially the notes.
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow someone has been busy indeed - great newps!!
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    That's quite a haul, very nice pieces in that group.
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice haul indeed!

Question: are the Disney currency for real, or a joke?

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Very nice D. Good to see some paper money in here.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Love that Ionian Islands note!
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Nice haul! image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great repurchase of the 1832 Drachma.
    Now is the Disney money real? I assume issued by Disneyland/world?
    Lovely paper money batch.
  • dukiduki Posts: 72 ✭✭
    those 30's grrek notes are similar to the french of that period, were any of the same artists used?
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very, very nice.

The reverse of 1910 drachma reminds me of the obverse on the Pan-Pac $2.5 gold.

I love the Bank of England note for its majestic reverse and the 1000 drachma for the captivating b&w obverse image of the woman.

Thank you for sharing!!
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous!

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for your kind words.

Indeed I've been much more into notes lately, rather than coins. I just can't post 50 choice-gem unc notes, let alone that 20 of them are on their way to PMG and unavailable for scanning.

My core collection is an illustrated economic history of Greece from 1828 to date, via my coins , but Greece did not mint ANY coins between 1930 and 1954, and even then, the 10 and 20 drachmai came only as late as 1959 and 1960 (the last silver coin minus the two 30 drs commems). There is therefore a 30 year gap to illustrate with banknotes that I've been purchasing very aggressively lately, the majority of which raw to cover that period. After that, I might still get a note here and there, because the bug is here, I know that, but my mission for the collection will have been accomplished. There's still a very pricey part, between 1945 and 1949 that I need to fill, but slowly slowly, some of the most expensive and difficult notes to locate in true unc were minted during those 4 years.

Finally, I bought a few raw Disney notes for my daughter and daddy got jealous and got his too. image Below are the ones for my daughter, both of which are in dupes and I intend to cover one with plastic, before she rips them all apart in 5 minutes. image

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

<< <i>those 30's grrek notes are similar to the french of that period, were any of the same artists used? >>

It's actually this series only from 1935 that was indeed printed in France, with their lovely noisy silk paper and engraved by their artists (WW2 was coming, no time to print decent notes etc). Before that, the very early notes from Greece , before even the existence of Bank of Greece (1928), and when notes were minted by the National Bank of Greece , and some rarer ones by the Ionian bank and the Epirothessaly bank (RRRRR) ,were generally printed at ABNC and/or Bradbury and Wilkinson. It's a period that is not absolutely necessary for my illustrated economic history, unless I decide to add notes to the coins of that period too, and why wouldn't I ? image But the prices skyrocket at that period, and I mean skyrocket, as in 10K euros for a VF25 note that might be the finest in existence. But there are intermediate price levels too, as always.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Great lot, Syracusian! I especially like the 35 farthing. I'm a sucker for British though. I do not collect Greek or Egyptian, but I appreciate the fine coins you got there as well.

I have to just stay away from bank notes. Too expensive and I kind of go bananas. Once I eventually get my coins organized and scanned, I plan on doing the same with my current banknote holdings which are mostly common stuff with an extensive German inflationary and notgeld collection. I would like to buy more notgeld actually if the prices are still as cheap as I remember but am sure are not. The only US note of interest is an offset $20 from 1985 I think which has a full obverse printing underneath the reverse printing.
  • desslokdesslok Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    I can't believe PCGS actually graded Disney Dollars. What's next? Coca Cola merchandise?

Anyway, fantastic coins and currency. I love the lion design on the British note, the Egyptian gold, and that great Greek Drachma.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great additions- congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Great notes and lovely coins.
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Those lovely 50 and 100 Drachmai pastel notes from the 1930s are quite striking and remind me of French notes of the same period. Classic period style but I wonder how they held up in circulation. I don't know this series at all so really appreciate you sharing these!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why just 1828 to date, Dimitri? Seems almost ironic that while so many us in the rest of the world avidly seek the ancient coin masterpieces of your homeland, you're collecting relatively "modern" pieces (albeit lovely ones, of course).

Are there legal roadblocks to collecting ancients in Greece? I think I've heard you mention such in the past, but don't recall any specifics.

BTW, I like the floral design on the Turkish piece, too, and that 1832 drachma was worth buying back.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    Yes Rob, legal problems is the number one factor. In short, buying, selling or trading coins prior to 1828 is punishable by law. ( Such a stupid law, that forgets to take into consideration other countries' milled coinage, but noone pays attention to it as far as non Greek milled coins are concerned, and even hammered coins too). Apparently, it is possible to import some ancients (with a purchase certificate) and obtain a simple collecting licence, but at this point in my life, I have put some things into perspective. Coins are nice, they entertain me, they create various feelings for me, but I've narrowed down the beast to its appropriate percentage that it should have in my life. Otherwise, too many coins too little time, and I'm not about to start something so new and that requires so much reading now. There's children, family, work, obligations, holidays etc etc. and there's coins (and banknotes) too.

I apologize for the missing images from my OP. I was cleaning my photobucket library and was getting rid of the duplicates, of which unfortunately, I had copied the links in this thread.

Edited to add: since the image of the 1935 1000 drs (PMG 65 EPQ) disappeared, you have the chance to see what it looks like, learn a bit more about the series, and even get a chance to bid on it, in this 1935 1000 drs gem unc no reserve auction. OK, guilty of a little disguised SSP, I confess. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
    Can't get enough.

On Sunday I bought a truly super looking Prussian gold 20M 1914-A (small holder) Anacs MS63 ,very lustrous, and definitely undergraded in its very old holder, as well as another repurchase of a coin I had sold during the height of the crisis, this 5 Lepta 1869 BB PCGS MS64RB, the young head version of the 1878-K 5L 63BN that I posted in the OP. Not sure how this year will end with my other obligations, but it was about time to get so much of my stuff back, and you haven't yet seen any of the notes currently at PMG or other coins of which I have no images.

Here's a couple of AU dupes of much better examples, in true gem unc on their way to PMG.

Below is P194a, Bank of Greece 4/16/1956 . It's one of the prettiest post WW2 notes, that represented a fortune at the time that it was printed with a face value of 1000 drachmai. Putting aside, all the hyperinflation notes from WW2 and the ones that followed up until the 1953 monetary reform, where 1 new drachma was equal to 1000 old drachmai, with the new unit pegged to the US dollar (at first at 15 drs to the dollar, changed overnight in late 1953 to 30 drs to the dollar to prevent a leaking of local savings to other countries abroad), this note came to fill up a void of over 15 years without a note of such a high face value.

If I had to make parallels with today's buying power of this note at the time that it was printed, I would compare it to the current 500 euro note , ie slightly more than the price of 2 gold sovereigns, although if I look back at the sovereign price in 1956 it might be even more.... No wonder that it took over 30 years to print a higher face value note, despite a rampant two digit inflation for over 15 years, the 5000 drs of 1986.

This is why, for me, collecting Greek coins and banknotes from a certain period, is absolutely essential, in order to build a collection that illustrates Greece's economic history from 1828 to date.

Maybe, I'll even have the time to write this story along with images of my collectables and print them one day ! image

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • love that 1,000 drachmai with Alexander at the Battle of Issus (this famous mosaic was/is on a wall of a house in Pompeii right?) on the back
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
    Yep, you are very observant my friend: H EN ISSO MAXH (my Greek characters do not come out right on this platform)
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3