Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

2013 Limited Edition Proof Set Question

Question for you folks...are the 2012-S & 2013-S Silver Proof Coins labeled PCGS "Limited Edition", from the Mint L.E. Sets, in the registry sets, with their unique numbers? Prices for PR70 DCAM's are quite high, and, seem like it may be worth sending my just arrived box of 4, 2013 Sets in for this special label.
Thanks
Calvin G.
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
Albert Einstein

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding your 2013 coins, be careful Calvin, as for the moment, the coins generating high prices are "First Strike" pieces where the grade through rate for PR70DCAM (notably the Silver Eagle coin) was dismal and PCGS may have received less than 500 total sets for FS thus far (with FS over now) out of the 50,000 mintage. Non-First Strike coins can be submitted at any time and there are the other 49,500 sets to go around to submit.

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    ikenutikenut Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Thanks...I needed the info....maybe you can tell me...how did some folks get their 2013 sets early enough to qualify for FS if the mint just started mailing these out? Early dealer bulk sales? Kinda confusing to me....anyway, I'm gonna open my boxes up, and look for issues and or errors....
    If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
    Albert Einstein

• Options
    Ikenut: I bellieve the Mint started mailing them out close to a month ago. So, there was plenty of time for FS coins. But, the coins were expensive to grade and, as I said, the Silver Eagles graded out very poorly (so far I believe only about 23 in the 70 grade out of more than 300 sets graded thus far and the majority of those coins graded PR67 and PR68).
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    you need a huge sample of sets to make any run at proof 70dc coins. I usually go in at 200-1,000 or more sets to have any hope at all on the Lincoln-Kennedy back sets. Easier on quarters and if you get a spotty run of presidential it is also very hard. You really have to roll the dice and the prices are barely worth it most of the time.
  • Options
    I agree Mark. And, as I mentioned, these special label coins cost substantially more $$$ in grading fees for most, if not all, submittors. Remember, these are not $5 proof sets from 1980 or 1990. These have a cost of $140/set from the US Mint with no dealer discounts as I recall. Even a (500) set position would cost about $70,000 (as compared to $2,500 for, say, (500) proof sets from 1990). So, the typical speculator of these sets buys perhaps (10)-(20) sets from the Mint. They then pay PCGS an $18/coin added fee for the FS label across all (8) coins in the set. So, the (8) coins in the set cost $140 from the Mint, but the grading fee for these (8) coins might cost upwards of close to $250 on smaller quantity submissions. Hence, plenty of PR67DC and PR68DC getting graded (last I looked, the majority of all graded Silver Eagles from these sets were in either the PR67 or PR68 grade).

As always, just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a registry set for the 2012 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set, but so far I haven't seen one for the 2013 set.

2013 Silver Eagles with the Limited Edition PR Set "First Strike" label already outnumber their 2012 counterparts by more than 4 to 1. And the 2013's have only been out for several weeks.

In PR69 and PR70 the 2013 Silver Eagles in First Strike from the LE set outnumber the 2012's by more than 3 to 1. Only 9 of the 2012's have been graded PR70 and slightly over 100 First Strikes exist in all grades. Apparently very few 2012 sets were sent in for the First Strike label, and very few unopened eligible mint sealed mailing boxes were saved.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)