Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I Need Your Help

Hey everyone, I am new to this website and I absolutely love it. I am 23 and have been a huge collector my whole life. It seems that I may have stumbled upon this website just in time to ask for your advice.

My mom and dad have been struggling financially and are looking to downsize and move out of their house. In order to do that though, my dad is flirting with the idea of selling some of his cards to pay for moving costs and get into a trailer or small apartment. He has severall baseball cards ranging from the late 40's all the way through the 70's. He has several rookies of HOFs and star cards.All of these are really in good shape considering they have been in boxes most of the time ever since he opened the packs as a kid.

What would you guy suggest we do if we decide to sell some of them? Also, none of these cards are graded, so would you suggest getting them graded before selling them and would that be worth it? Anyways, Im sure i'll be on here a lot discussing my own cards and I look forward to getting to know everyone and their collections.

Comments

• Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    I would get a couple appraisals from potential buyers...you just don't want to be taken advantage of as their are vultures out there...even your post here is like dropping blood in a shark tank...good luck.
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    high quality scans of the best cards and you can post them here would be a start........
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    If you have HOF rookie cards from the 40's-60's getting the graded is the best way for you to maximize your money for a couple of reasons. #1 you are new to this site so selling raw vintage will not bring you top dollar if you are selling here. #2 Same goes for Ebay.

What you should do is take some pics of the cards and upload them to www.photobucket.com. You can follow the instructions from an older post linked Here.

I also strongly encourage you to do your replies in this thread so the SHARKS don't eat your profits.

Best of luck with this and best wishes to your parents.
  • Options
    Thanks for the messages so far guys.

I plan on going through the cards and taking pictures in the coming days. Once I do that I'll post them here. The better ones of HOFs and stars I'll advise my dad to pay to get them graded. Especially if they look really good.

I know from looking at his collection in the past, he has some really good ones with very crisp corners and look mint condition. Of course that isn't graded so they may not grade as well, but I guess we will see.

• Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would get a couple appraisals from potential buyers...you just don't want to be taken advantage of as their are vultures out there...even your post here is like dropping blood in a shark tank...good luck. >>

"dropping blood in a shark tank"......Very funny---and true!
    Get your cards graded and maybe get an on line subscription to Vintage Card Prices. You would be surprised at the sales prices of high grade, low population commons. They can command more than stars.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would absolutely get them graded and I would absolutely not sell them on a website like this. Depending on the grades, ebay or an AH.