Home Sports Talk
Options

Michael Pineda and Pine Tar

pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
Will he change his name to Michael Pinetarda??image Is this guy not smart or what? He dodged the bullet the first time he caught with it and then he still comes back with it?

Comments

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Says he will never do it again. He will be the only one then. They all do it.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First off, I dispute that "they ALL do it". Obviously some guys do it; I'm not naïve- but good pitchers with confidence in their stuff don't need foreign substances...and Pineda (supposedly) didn't start using it until after coming back from surgery to repair, I believe, his shoulder (NYY fans correct me on this if I'm wrong-can't recall if it was his elbow or shoulder). This nimrod even acknowledged that he knew it was illegal but did it anyway because he was afraid he'd hit someone otherwise...? If he is so unable to control the ball (which is already pre-mudded in the first place) that he needs pine tar for extra grip, then maybe it's time to consider pulling him from the rotation until he can regain said control. He deserves the ten game suspension IMO...mainly for being stupid.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'd be shocked at how high the % of pitchers who use pine tar in cold weather. None of this will be an issue in a few weeks when weather gets warmer. As Yankee announcer David Cone said in the booth, trying to throw the ball on a cold night is like throwing a cue ball. Coney would put the pine tar on his belt buckle. I do agree that Pineda isn't the brightest bulb in the shed.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 2 cents...

Pineda was far too blatant about the location of the pine tar, which forced Farrell to talk to the umpire. Farrell all but said he gets the cold and how hard it is to grip the ball. He knows pitchers use it, but when Pineda was in your face about it, he had to call it.

So, if the resin bag isn't good enough, change the rule so that when the dew point and temp become problems, add whatever to the resin bag to help the pitchers pitch as best they can. Surely MLB and the union can solve that one pretty easily.