Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Dude - Awesome 1969 Set!

gemintgemint Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hey Dude,

I went through your 1969 set and you have an awesome partial set! You even bested Bob Cacamese and Ron Sanders which is no easy task. After searching through raw cards for 20 years to build my 1969 set, I now feel my set building task was in vane at 8.04!

Should the 1969 set builders form a fab 5 like the 1972 collectors? image It's exiting to see what you've all managed to build so far. The 1969 set is real special and it's an honor to be part of the club. There are many tough cards in the set which makes it a challenge to build in PSA 8 or better. I'm looking forward to the day when someone completes the set with every card in PSA 8 or better. I have another 150 cards in at PSA now. I'm crossing my fingers hoping they treat me well..especially on the #110 Mike Shannon! When I started my set in 1982 at a card show in Philadelphia, I never conceived of professional grading or the internet. It's great to be able to talk to other collectors with similar interests.

Good luck finishing your set.

Comments

• My kudo's also to the Dude! Supreme quality 69' stuff!

Gemint - With my modest 69' set I am honored to walk among Giants. This is my childhood set that I have been hacking away at all these years. I spent many years first completing it, then upgrading and finally, jumping into PSA slabbing back in 1998. On limited funds this has been a labor of love.
    Bob, Ron, and Dan have shown us amazing material in our beloved 69's. Finer people and better collecting comrades are tough to find. Gemint - How bout' you giving us 69'ers our moniker?

1969Topps Baseball - My favorite topic!

RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    Dude - that really is a stellar job. I hope you will continue the supreme effort.

Gemint - there can only be one Fab Five image
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Dude -- Congratulations on such an incredible set. I am sure that it will continue to grow and improve as time goes by. It is a very tough set to find centered well -- and knowing your strict standards, it definitely seems that the vast majority of your cards are strong for their grade -- if not just for their great centering.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Thanks to all of you for your kind comments. I agree that it is a very tough set and from this point on it will only get tougher! I plan to submit about 40 more cards that are all well-centered, high-end 8 candidates. After that, I plan to just see what I can find at shows or elsewhere. Hopefully a dealer will buy Gaspipe26's set in the Superior Auction and break it up.

Also note: Not all of the cards have shown up in the Registry yet. There seems to be a 1 or 2 day lag in my entries and scans.

• Absolutely Outstanding!
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    I dont know if a set will ever be completed strictly in 8,9, and 10. There are so many really tough cards. The Whites alone will stop a few collectors. I have 18 in 8 and unless Ron wants to part with 4 he has that I need I dont know if a complete run of 8's will ever be made. Shannon,Hamilton,Satriano,Kekich,McDaniel,Shamsky,Weis are just a few that are super tough to get centered enough to get a 7 let alone an 8. Dan, what percentage of the set did you have graded? I has around 60%. It seems your probrably higher than that. If so thats a great accomplishment to get that many 9's. I have 260-1969's at PSA now, so I hope to back in the top 6 or 7 within the next few weeks. Good luck on the rest.
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Gaspipe writes:

<<I dont know if a set will ever be completed strictly in 8,9, and 10. There are so many really tough cards. The Whites alone will stop a few collectors. >>

Do you think that all collectors who are building this set are trying to also complete the whites, too? Though I typically collect all the variations of cards -- I know quite a few set collectors who don't, and who, I would presume, would consider their 1969 Topps set complete without the whites. I know that every set is different -- I guess I'm wondering if anyone out there would collect the straight set and be happy with it.

On that note, I think it is very silly that the Set Registry set composition includes every white/yellow letter variation as a "necessary" part of the set, but than makes other more important variations as an optional. For example, the Dalrymple variation to me is a much more integral part of the set than a white leter card. But, again, that's just me.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • MikeSchmidt - I had a tough decision to make way back when I first attempted to complete this set raw. Include or not include the white letters.
    Ultimately I decided that this was one of the very things that made the 69 set great. I decided that for me, only the "Master Set" would do.
    It is certainly going to weigh down the GPA of most serious collector because PSA 8 examples are so incredibly rare. Since my set currently contains quite a few PSA 7's I found owning PSA 7 White Letters appealing. My goal is PSA 8 or better on all cards, ultimately, with this set. As time has passed my appreciation for the rarity of the "Whites" has grown immensely.
    I am frankly in awe of the PSA 8 examples in the sets of my fellow 69'ers Bob and Ron.
    Some of the 7's that reside in my collection now in fact were kindly supplied by Bob.
    Only the select group of White collectors can really appreciate how truly tough it is to find them nice.
    To answer the question posed - I could nt be content with just the base set. Whether its the Dalrymple, the Nettles Loop or the Whites my set should contain them all.

1969Topps Baseball - My favorite topic.

RayB69Topps
  • For me, I decided not to go for the white letters. The main reason is the cost and availability. Even with the Mantle being the most common WL in high grade (PSA 8+), it still costs as much as the entire raw set to purchase. I'd rather buy a high grade 1967 set and extend my collection back another year than build a PSA 8 white letter subset. I do have a PSA 8 Don Clendennon "Expos" variation and a nice Dalrymple "Phillies" variation but only because I happened across them as I built my set.

My set is probably 90% PSA 8 or better quality. When I grade it all out, I'll consider it complete once all the non-variations are PSA 8 or better.
    Please visit my eBay auctions at gemint
  • dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    gaspipe26,

The set is 48.6% graded. I'm really only interested in completing the Basic 664 set and not the Master Set.

There were two major sources for the 69's, both from Houston. One was from Perry Schwartzberg who found a bunch of 3rd Series vending boxes in Pennsylvania. He once told me that he pulled 23 Reggie Jackson rookies and sold them to Jackson himself. He flew out to California and sold them to him in person (this was around 1990). He sold the other stars too right away. Many of the other cards came from a shop in Houston (now closed).
  • gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    First to mikeschmidt, The registry considers the WL to be an important part of the set, as do I. The other variations are not listed but there not for most sets. The WL McCormick in 68 isnt listed nor the 2 Yellows. Neither is the Alou NP in 74 or the 1966 and 67 variations. As the set is listed now, to complete it, you need the Whites. Is the set complete w/o them? Sure. Is the Dalrymple tougher than the whites, tougher than a couple of whites, but not all or even most of them.
    Next to Ray. Keep those 7's. If it wasnt you I wouldnt of let them go. There tough in 7 also.
    Dan, believe me I know how bad the centering is on 69's. I recently uncovered a few 1st series vending boxes and only 10% of the cards were gradeable. I wish I never took them out of the box. At one time I had 400 Bobby Bonds (R) , a few hundred Ryan's, most of the stars. They all went in the early and mid 80's for dirt. Well its dirt now. Back then I thought it was decent money, found money in fact. If I only knew!
    The set is what it is, a great set with major stars, a group of variations that will stand your hair on end trying to find. The 1 flaw as I see it is NO TEAM CARDS.
  • Don't worry Bob, they will bury me before I let loose of my White Letters!
    Thanks again!
    RayB69Topps
  • That's bad news regarding the 1st series 69's. I've been hoping a find such as those would turn up someday and bring a nice supply of PSA 8 Satrianos or Santiagos to the market. I'm wondering if I'll ever see one of these cards up for sale. And I shudder at the thought of what $ they would command. image
    Please visit my eBay auctions at gemint
  • Good Job Dude!!
    1968 Topps Pawlus Collection - First to Complete

Interested in Topps Baseball 1968-1975
  • Gemint,

It is interesting to add that the initial growth of my 1969 Topps set (conversion from raw to graded) occurred as a result from the generous advice and support from Dan Markel about 3 years ago. In fact, several of the 1 of 1 pops that I have came from him and they continue to be 1 of 1's. The experience and knowledge of gaspipe26 and 69topps8 has also been invaluable.

Ron
    Ron Sanders Jr.