Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

TRIAPD: Brett Butler Master and Basic sets finally at 100% (updated 12/22/16)

TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
edited December 22, 2016 9:34PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
I want to take this opportunity to inform my tens of fans... erm... ones of fans... erm... anyone that gives half a crap that I just finished inputting the last card needed to bring my Master set to 100%. I started the BB registry in August 2006. Back then I think the set might have been made up of a whole 20 cards or so, seven of which I didn't have. Over the past eight years I have slowly built it up to 200 total items, but never did get around to getting the last seven, mostly 'cause nobody ever submitted them so that I could buy them.

Here are links to my sets. I'll add scans of the missing cards as soon as they are in hand.
Brett Butler master set
Brett Butler basic & collector's issue set

I've been meaning to submit the needed cards for the last few years, and finally ended up piggybacking on Mike's (mknez) March group sup, which popped in only 14 days. A couple of grades were disappointing, but overall I was pleased with the grades received. I also submitted a couple of my extra Aqueous Test cards, mostly to see if they were indeed legit - they were (an 8 and a 9). Here are the results of what I submitted.

58 1 22724919 EXCELLENT 5 1984 TOPPS TRADED TIFFANY 20T BRETT BUTLER Card image (note to self - don't drink SoCo from the neck when picking the best possible '84 Tiffany to submit)
59 1 22724920 MINT 9 1989 SCORE 216 BRETT BUTLER Card
60 1 22724921 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1990 DONRUSS AQUEOUS TEST 249 BRETT BUTLER Card image
60 2 22724922 MINT 9 1990 DONRUSS AQUEOUS TEST 249 BRETT BUTLER Card image
61 1 22724923 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1990 TOPPS 571 BRETT BUTLER Card meh
62 1 22724924 MINT 9 1991 TOPPS TRADED 15T BRETT BUTLER Card
63 1 22724925 NEAR MINT 7 1993 TOPPS 65 BRETT BUTLER COL. ROCKIES INAUGURAL Card (these are pretty tough to find in good condition, so I'm not too disappointed)
64 1 22724926 MINT 9 1993 TOPPS 65 BRETT BUTLER FLORIDA MARLINS INAUGURAL Card image
65 1 22724927 GEM MINT 10 1996 DONRUSS 515 BRETT BUTLER Card image
66 1 22724928 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1997 DONRUSS LIMITED EXPOSURE 91 B.BUTLER/T.GWYNN Card (thought this one might/should have been a 9)

Comments

• Options
    Congratulations. I do remember when you started down this path quite some time ago. Tell me please - what is the significance of Butler? A childhood favorite? I recall him to be a solid player. This reminds me a bit of my Derek Sanderson obsession.
  • Options
    Long story short, I hate the Giants. Loathe them. In spite of that, it seems that every year there is a player on the roster that at the very least I respect, sometimes even like - Robby Thompson, Bill Mueller, Omar Vizquel, Buster Posey to name a few. In the late 80s it was Butler. Something about his style of play - above average hitter (T-124 all time), great bunter, could steal you a base (25th all time), above average defense. I just liked the guy. When he came to the Dodgers, it was icing on the cake. When I got back into collecting in the early 90s I started picking some of his cards up - at the time there was nothing approaching any kind of focus. I liked him as a player, he was now a Dodger, so I'll sorta start collecting his cards. A few years go by and the collection starts to grow, and I get the player collector bug. I started scouring the old usenet boards, the old Beckett and Topps boards, AOL forums, the Oddball Mall, Southpaw Cards. Back then there was only one other Butler collector, guy by the name of Terry Tu. We traded emails and cards back and forth, but I lost contact with him ages ago. As a player collector I've had it pretty good - I compete with virtually nobody, unless a certain card comes up that is a fit with someone else's overall set.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Congrats on finishing your sets. Enjoy them. Here's to you!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    NIIIIIIIIIICE!!!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Nice job Geordie.

Also, might I recommend grey goose + Mountain Dew next time you are reviewing submissions?

• Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I want to take this opportunity to inform my tens of fans... erm... ones of fans... erm... anyone that gives half a crap that I just finished inputting the last card needed to bring my Master set to 100%. I started the BB registry in August 2006. Back then I think the set might have been made up of a whole 20 cards or so, seven of which I didn't have. Over the past eight years I have slowly built it up to 200 total items, but never did get around to getting the last seven, mostly 'cause nobody ever submitted them so that I could buy them.
    >>

That's AWESOME. Congrats. What an accomplishment. Your perseverance is to be commended!

<< <i>Long story short, I hate the Giants. Loathe them. >>

I take back everything I just said.
  • Options
    thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    Way to go --- now go after 9 of each image
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Really impressive set. You've got a ton of 1 of 1 PSA 10s. Nobody is going to get anywhere close to you without some truly maximum effort.

For Braves fans from the '80's, Brett's the one who got away. His departure signaled the beginning of he end of that too-short period of quality baseball under Torre and the start of a slide into another period of mediocrity...and worse.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Do you and OneFastTalon ever meet up at the National and discuss the awesomeness of your collections and how nobody will get near you in the registry?
  • Options

<< <i>Do you and OneFastTalon ever meet up at the National and discuss the awesomeness of your collections and how nobody will get near you in the registry? >>

No, Russ and I have never met in person. I'm in awe of his collection - it is truly amazing. Did you know about his hoard of Sabo RCs? At one time he had at least 6500 of just that one card.
  • Options
    Here's a link to my Butler page.. It has an up-to-date list of what I have and what I'm looking for, plus links to scans of almost all of my cards. Since my house fire last year, I kind of lost steam on my project of rescanning the entire collection. That's gonna happen soon, I hope.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    awesome score on the Aqueous!!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Nice work! Congrats.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, that's one awesome PC!
  • Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭
    Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Congrats. Here is an odd ball Butler. I think I heard they do not grade such cards

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    If i recall correctly I as well remember you starting this set. Not sure why but I always liked Butler. Congrats on this huge achievement!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Geordie, what's next on the agenda? Pepe Frias perhaps?

Seriously, great job!
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Why wouldn't they grade those Louisville slugger cards?

Congrats Geordie, that's a hell of an achievement! Anybody who completes 100% of a player set of at least a couple hundred items is truly a master collector. I'm eagerly anticipating Joe reaching 100% on his Killebrew master. In any case, well done Geordie!
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Very nice collection!

I have a 3rd variation on the 1988 OPC , very difficult card...

1988 OPC Butler

If your interested in the 1991 Box Bottom, will treat you right on it...

Tom
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats Geordie, what's next on the agenda? Pepe Frias perhaps?

Seriously, great job! >>

thanks, Steve.

In all seriousness, I think I would probably do a Rick Monday collection. He has always been a closet favorite of mine, especially since he saved the flag in 1976.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>In all seriousness, I think I would probably do a Rick Monday collection. He has always been a closet favorite of mine, especially since he saved the flag in 1976. >>

Rick Monday saves the American Flag!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Well done!!!
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    they do grade the Louisville Slugger cards. I had some Hershisers I sent in.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Geordie , very nice job on finishing image----- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    Well, as a result of this thread, a couple of new cards made their way here, courtesy of Tom (tsalems). One of them had popped up on my saved search and the other I had no idea of its existence. Tom and I struck a deal, and here they are:

Soon-to-be item #201 in the master set:

From the "I'd never heard of this variation before" files: 1988 O-Pee-Chee black back proof
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    That is awesome.. Love that box bottom too..
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

If anyone's interested, I updated the set last night. Had a few upgrades that I hadn't logged yet (special thanks to Sonny aka @calaban7), and a dozen or so cards that I hadn't scanned for whatever reason. All cards logged and scanned now.

Brett Butler master set - 208 cards (and counting)

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

Amazing, I can barely imagine finishing a basic set!

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geordie,

Great job on the Butler set. You are only 10 cards short of having every card in Top Pop, that's amazing. :+1::+1:

Congrats, Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the Butler set. I enjoyed seeing the pictures of your new acquisitions as you worked on it. Truly a unique accomplishment.

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Add me to the list of "ones of fans". I enjoy following this thread.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Well done my friend. Congrats!!

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats Geordie, I could tell this was a labor of love!