Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this crazy money for a PCGS sample??

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
3 hrs to go and already $260. image

Link to auction on ebay
"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes and a wining fool and his money will soon be separated imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BanemorthBanemorth Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    While I wouldn't personally pay that it is a pretty cool piece.
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭
    I've never seen that date in the 'all zeros' before, so it's probably rare. 1964 MS and PR are most often seen in this holder, and those are still worth $80-$100.

I will be watching this auction closely. If this date-holder combo is unique, It wouldn't surprise me if it realized $500+.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    phnataccphnatacc Posts: 367 ✭✭
    They are cool. I bought that coin's twin a couple years ago in Baltimore from a dealer I buy lots of generic coins from. It wasn't priced, so I asked... I caught him quickly glance to see how full my box was and he replied, "You can have it at melt." Good guy.
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    For the seller, it is not. image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is this crazy money for a PCGS sample?? >>

Since it's you asking the question, I'll say yes.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

This seller is a genius up until today I couldn't picture the terms "super rare" and "roosevelt dime" fitting in the same sentence.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This seller is a genius up until today I couldn't picture the terms "super rare" and "roosevelt dime" fitting in the same sentence. >>

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭
    It certainly "appears" to be but then...........it's a free country.

Looking at the "bid history", it also appears as if bidder m***e ( 580 is a bit naïve on bidding practices by entering such a large bid so soon in the bidding process which then allowed bidder z***z ( 1092 to nickel dime him thereby forcing another couple of dumb bids.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well then I guess its 40 foolish bidders because a lot of people bid on it
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    well then I guess its 40 foolish bidders because a lot of people bid on it

6 bidders so far - and the snipers haven't had their chance yet. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it crazy money? Stupid money? Cheap? Depends whom you ask.
  • Options
    I've never understood the collecting of plastic. If there was a coin worth while inside, maybe, but please.....
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it crazy money? Stupid money? Cheap? Depends whom you ask. >>

+1

it could easily be argued that most numismatic items are overpriced when compared to their "face" value.

i personally wouldn't pay that much for this piece but for some for other slab types i would/will.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems pricey to me
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've never understood the collecting of plastic. If there was a coin worth while inside, maybe, but please..... >>

I have family members who don't understand the collecting of little metal disks either.....But I just smile and go about my business with the assumption that nobody is harmed. image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To each his/her own. Clearly someone was bidding against the winner.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    Never mind....just find it hard to fathom this slab going for $525!! Hope the buyer knows how to swim.
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    Wow ..... don't know what else to say...... image
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Never mind....just find it hard to fathom this slab going for $525!! Hope the buyer knows how to swim. >>

That is a lot of dough for some plastic and a couple of grams of silver...

But to each his own. image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $525 and 42 bids, wow.
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    This makes me feel so much better about my last buy. You crazies keep it up.

I just hope that Lakes is not spending our Club money!!!
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I've never understood the collecting of plastic. If there was a coin worth while inside, maybe, but please..... >>

I have family members who don't understand the collecting of little metal disks either.....But I just smile and go about my business with the assumption that nobody is harmed. image >>

• Options
    Boiler78 called me the Simpson of Samples.

Not any more. image

Although there are some samples I would pay $500 for..... image
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a huge gap between the underbidder and the next highest bid.

Items like this make me shake my head in amazement. I wouldn't pay more than melt for it. It does absolutely nothing for me.

To each his own.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    Regency slabs have been purchased for less than this. Sometimes, I really have to wonder, but as was said prior, a fool and his money.......and I firmly believe this is the case with this slab.

Sampleslabs.com considers this 'scarce', as there are 2 with this cert # (the 1.1 and 1.2, the coin in the auction being a 1.2, and "scarcer" than the 1.1), and the first one surfaced in '04, but I don't believe any sample slab collector would think it's $525 worth of scarce. For you sample slab collectors, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong (or agree if the final price is crazy), but I just don't see this being worth the final price, proof coin or not, 1.2 or not. Though, with Cameron stating "I imagine it will be as hard to locate as PCGS 1 and would be a highlight in a PCGS sample slab collection. Keep your eyes open for this type!"....I can't imagine that, well, $525 for this sample, c'mon......

Would a sample slab collector PLEASE chime in, and let us know whether our jaws should be hitting the floor, our heads shaking, or IS this particular sample worth this kind of $$???? I just can't believe, in any perfect world, this sample slab being worth what it brought.

edited...if Lakes doesn't think it's worth it, then my question has been answered
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's in kind of rough shape for that money, who is to say what is crazy?
  • Options
    NotSure:

As a sample "type" slab it's not. But, if you're doing a date run of that sample type and it's the first one with that date that's been offered in a long time, if ever, then there is going to be spirited bidding.

I was willing to pay 2X the usual price - others obviously valued it more highly.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭
    April 22nd, 2014 - Mountain View, CA

Two "Nuclear Snipes" collided in the atmosphere over eBay Headquarters this afternoon as two very determined individuals took part in a Nuclear Exercise to determine exactly who was the better man. Two "Monstrous Bids" were placed at exactly 2 second before a listing for a supposed "Rare Sample Slab" listing ended thereby preventing counterbids such as what had occurred on 4/21 and earlier this morning. Obviously, both parties in the conflagration were convinced of the rarity of the item they sought!

Only one casualty was identified and whether he was killed outright or is in the local Credit Union recovering from wounds sustained in the fire fight is unknown. Reliable sources state that the last thing the casualty said before pressing that "RED" fire button was "I'm going to wipe this smug bast*rd off this listing if its the last thing I do! That slab is mine! NOT HIS! I-E-E-E-E! The source also stated that the coin would more than likely be returned to the original owner once the anesthesia of the Bidding War, wore off.

Interested parties watched in wonder as the Nuclear Encounter unfolded. They knew exactly what the outcome would be, they simply did not know how high the Nuclear Cloud would rise above the eBay Headquarters. All reports seem to indicate that the cloud was beyond what anybody had expected and that the effects will linger for days over the Mountain View based Auction Companies Headquarters. Customer Support is preparing to be called in at the last minute as it fully expects it will be needed to make an accurate determination on whether or not the casualty actually "meant" to key in the winning amount or did the "wrong" amount get entered by some unknown computer force.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Boiler78 called me the Simpson of Samples.

Not any more. image

Although there are some samples I would pay $500 for..... image >>

Yeah as it looks like there's a new Sheriff Simpleton of Samples in town! imageimage

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silly price ...

Prediction ... buyer's remorse activates during the return period and the coin is returned and then offered to the underbidder, who declines. Then it's back on eBay with an auction and healthy BIN at the start.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the chances that none of the parties, (seller, high bidder, or under-bidder), are members of this board? I think someone is being intentionally quiet right now.... image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if the new owner used to buy pet rocks on speculation ? image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just sold a PCGS Sample Slab 1.2 on E-Bay about 10 days ago with a 1961 Proof Roosevelt and the slab was near perfect. I got $102.50 for it.

I'm guessing it's the 1957 Dime that brought this money because I had mine up for 10 days twice (it failed to sell the first time at $125). That's the only logical explanation.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    19Lyds: well done! I'm thinking of Slim Pickens riding the H-bomb in "Dr Strangelove." Yeeee Haaaaa......
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>19Lyds: well done! >>

I'm LMAO!

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file