Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Comparison Assist from the Troops

Hi all,

I am looking for some extra eyes to see if my comparative skills are still viable. I have already come to a conclusion but would like to hear what the rest of you have to say.

Linked below are two combined images of the famous Karl Goetz Lusitania medal. This medal is cast, and therefore, exhibits casting artifacts and flaws that make each piece cast unique. These artifacts (bubbles, surface spatter, etc.) are like a fingerprint to a cast piece. In this case the medals are British bronze replicas of Karl Goetz' original medal, but for the most part, well done if you don't look at them under high resolution as I have provided. Both images were taken by the same photographer.

My question to all of you, Are these images of the same exact medal? I'll give you a hint...pay particular interest to the casting bubbles and flaws on the obverse (top) of both images.

After receiving your assistance i will tell you the rest of the story.

Lusitania Comparison

Comments

• Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are these images of the same exact medal? >>

No.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang, I don't know how close they CAN be, but I see a couple small differences (and many I would have thought would NOT be different). I'll go with 'no' and be prepared to get educated image.

eta: could it be some of what I see as 'different' is because the same medal was handled or something?

Nice to see you again!

Cathy

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    You can put me into the NO camp also. Glad to see you post.
  • Options
    1509eric1509eric Posts: 43 ✭✭
    the material of the right one look a bit different.
    Even the bubbles and so are on same place, the right one look like more "rough", look like is a copy from the left one...
    collector from Germany
  • Options

<< <i>the material of the right one look a bit different.
    Even the bubbles and so are on same place, the right one look like more "rough", look like is a copy from the left one... >>

That was my thought too....

Chris

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54
    LochNess and ProfHaroldHill

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No... I see differences

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to see you posting and hope all is well

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Definitely not photos of the same medal. Two separate metals.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me the different lighting could account for the differences I'm seeing so I'll say it's the same amazing medal in both images.
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭
    At 1st I thought yes same medal maybe the lighting hi-lites some details differently.

Then I thought no some of the imperfection on the right don't match the left.

Now I'm back to yes. I think the right side photos are of the piece after it was treated to remove some crust.

I also think that 1509eric may be on to something like one is a copy of the other.

What an interesting mind twister.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If those little tiny pits are casting bubbles, the patterns seem to match up to my eyes. I think it's the same medal.
  • Options
    Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    I think it's the same medal, although I wouldn't be surprised either way. I've attributed the lighting to any differences I see. Or think I see. The finish on the left one seems to be a flat finish, where the one on the right seems semi-gloss. I know those aren't the correct terms, but it makes my point. The right one seems a bit crisper in the details also. That could be lighting though. Tough call. Even with the differences I see (or think I see) I still think it's the same medal.