Home Sports Talk
Options

2014 NHL Playoff Thread (Unofficial)

lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭
try to keep yourselves in check and not resort to the lowbrow stuff.

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Best sport of the 4 majors!
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Go Rangers!
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Go Flyers!
  • Options
    So, what happens to the Pens when they have another first or second round exit in the playoffs? Do they (somewhat) blow up this team?
  • Options
    Yacorie1Yacorie1 Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Go Flyers! >>

+1

Lucic gets 5k for that spear but if you grab your own it costs you 25k in fines.....go figure
  • Options

<< <i>So, what happens to the Pens when they have another first or second round exit in the playoffs? Do they (somewhat) blow up this team? >>

the salary cap is projected to rise from $64.3M to $71.1M next season so that will leave some room to resign Orpik and Niskanen if they should choose. The Pens have $55.1M in salary commitments for next season so far, and I guess it will depend on how Fleury fairs down the stretch. He has one more year on his deal ($5M) so they could buy him out if he tanks again and take a run at signing Ryan Miller or Jonas Hiller or someone else. As it seems, the goaltending and the bottom 6 forward group seems to be the Pens folly (Letang taking dumb penalties isn't helping matters either) so there will be some room to make improvements with the cap rising. I'm not sure I'd want two subpar skaters on the blueline with both Scuderi and Orpik, so I'd probably resign Niskanen over Orpik, but the Bruins have proven you can win with a collective of glaciers so there is that. Given the Penguins tried to swing a trade for Ryan Kesler at the deadline, it would probably be sound odds to predict another run at acquiring him while shipping out Brandon Sutter along with one of the Pens' young defensemen not named Maatta and a draft pick.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Go Flyers! >>

+1

Lucic gets 5k for that spear but if you grab your own it costs you 25k in fines.....go figure >>

Coaches aren't confined by the NHLPA's collectively bargained penalty/fine structure so Shanny and his fellow dopes can tag any coach or front office member for whatever they see fit. In fairness to the bejowled Lucic, that fine will probably cost him a few runs to the Cheesecake Factory so at least he is being stung a little.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    It wouldn't be an NHL thread without lane taking pot shots at the Bruins...

Other than B's/Wings, the other series I've seen a lot of is CBJ/PIT...it feels like CBJ has a legit shot at pulling the upset despite giving that game away last night.
  • Options
    I'll try to stop being so darn accurate.

Be sure to read that first link.
    In a between-periods interview during Game 1, Marchand was already bemoaning the amount of hooking and holding the Red Wings were getting away with.

The Bruins complaining about the Wings' hooking and obstruction is a real thing. This is funny to people who watch hockey because of the raving hypocrisy, you see. This would be like Robert Pollard or Jandek ripping another musician for his inability to self-edit.
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gooooo Flyers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    San Jose Sharks are expected to announce a name change for the team to the San Jose Chernobyls. The San Jose Chernobyls...always good for one giant meltdown.

Up 3 games to zero only to lose the next 4 games including the last at game at home. The tradition of snakebit Bay Area sports teams continues. Makes you wonder if the SAP Center was built on top of an old burial ground.

Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    Classic meltdown by SJ...wonder what changes will ensue?

If Bryz has to play against Chicago, it will be over in 4.

I bet the Pens are happy the Flyers lost.

When was the last time the Flyers lost a playoff series and goaltending wasn't the biggest issue?
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i'm really, really scared to say this, but it's ok cuz i'm amongst friends. you guys will support me here, i know, so i will bare my soul for hockey.

i love Tyler Toffoli. he makes my heart skip a beat and my brain melts when he scores.

GO KINGS GO. image
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Classic meltdown by SJ...wonder what changes will ensue?

If Bryz has to play against Chicago, it will be over in 4.

I bet the Pens are happy the Flyers lost.

When was the last time the Flyers lost a playoff series and goaltending wasn't the biggest issue? >>

Nothing much will change. Nothing ever does and you can expect next season to be a carbon copy of this season and every season since 2006.

Consistent goalkeeping and defense would be a start. You just don't know what version of Niemi and the defense would actually show up. Basically the team needs a rebuilding of its core but that won't happen especially after Marleau and Thornton were given extensions earlier this year. About half the roster have full no-trade clauses.

In a nutshell it's the same old story as every year. After a strong showing in the first few games that core completely disappeared like they always do. Completely disappeared. No goals, no points whatsoever.

But despite the same plot year after year team management are fully aware that Silicon Valley (nobody in San Francisco or anywhere outside of the South Bay watches hockey) is not Toronto: rebuild the team which will in turn result in several losing seasons which will result in an arena going from sold out every game to half sold out which means loss of revenue and interest. It's in management's best interest to field a weak playoff contender year after year to dupe fans into believing the coming season "will be the year". The last decade has proven it is the same song and dance season after season.

Good news is we can start the countdown clock now. Only 12 more months until the next Sharks meltdown.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    Chicago – Fenwick Close/Corsi – 55.2%/55.9% (2nd)
    Minnehaha – Fenwick Close/Corsi – 48.6%/48.8% (21st)

Chicago +41.9 Offensive GVT (2nd)
    Bemidji +18.9 Defensive GVT (5th)

Chicago +17.5 Defensive GVT (6th)
    East Fargo -20.1 Offensive GVT (25th)

Even Strength GF/GA. Chicago +34, Fighting Nygaards +15

Crow +11.3 GVT
    Bryz/Kuemper - guh/+3.5 GVT

-----------------

Boston Trappers - Fenwick Close/Corsi - 53.8%/54.3%
    Les Expos - Fenwick Close - 48.5%/47.3%

Sam Adams +38.9 Offensive GVT (3rd)
    Bacon Poutine -2.0 Defensive GVT

Junk Spearers +15.9 Defensive GVT (7th)
    Police Cruiser Torchers -10.1 Offensive GVT (21st)

Tuuk - +30.9 GVT
    Price - +27.0 GVT

-----------------

Penguins Fenwick Close/Corsi - 50.5%/49.1%
    Rangers Fenwick Close/Corsi - 52.9%/52.7%

Penguins +22.9 Offensive GVT (5th)
    Rangers +11.7 Defensive GVT (8th)

Penguins +10.3: Defensive GVT (10th)
    Rangers -5.1 Offensive GVT (19th)

Flower - 14.3 GVT
    Hank - 15.9 GVT

------------------------

Ducks - Fenwick Close/Corsi - 51.0%/50.4%
    Kings - Fenwick Close/Corsi - 56.7%/57.3%

Ducks +43.9 Offensive GVT (1st)
    Kings +30.6 Defensive GVT (2nd)

Ducks +10.3 Defensive GVT (10th)
    Kings -21.1 Offensive GVT (26th)

Hiller/Andersen +2.5 GVT/+10.7 GVT
    Quick +13.5 GVT

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big win for the Blueshirts tonight on the road after a quick turnaround and a 7-game series! image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edmundfitzgeraldedmundfitzgerald Posts: 4,306 ✭✭
    The Blueskirts are now down 2-1 and have a must win situation tonight.
  • Options
    anybody wanna shake hands with Lucic? or how 'bout a kiss from Subban? image
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    KINGS!
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Da Hawks...

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's Go Rangers! image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Kings!
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    Bump
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    Kings!
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Tonights game has been unreal. What a performace by both teams!

This is what the Stanley Cup Finals should be like!

Go Kings! >>

+ 2
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    wow. W-O-W! i'm delirious. can't wait til Monday.
  • Options
    Let's go Kings!
  • Options
    aaarrrggghhhhhhhh!!!!! stopped short by King Henrik and a Slurpee in the crease. image