Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Wrestling, Surfing, Soccer poppage 1978 Maradona and 1987 Kelly Slater Rookies

Tough grader. I thought the cosmos and gong cards were near mint but it's the first time the cosmos and Gong cards to be graded so its cool to just get them slabbed. The Brees is the 3rd time it got a min size req so at least they are consistent. The psa 7 Popy hogan makes the sub though.

1 1 22707639 FAIR 1.5 1964 BARRATT & CO. LTD FAMOUS FOOTBALLERS SERIES A.12 29 GEORGE BEST Card
2 1 22707640 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 2001 TOPPS CHROME 229 DREW BREES ROOKIE REFRACTOR Card
3 1 22707641 NEAR MINT 7 1981 KAJIWARA PRODUCTIONS WRESTLING HULK HOGAN Card
4 1 22707642 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1987 ASTROBOYZ SURFING MIKE STEWART Card I had a mike Stewart bodyboard when I was 12 and wanted a card to represent bodyboarding.. Shocked this was even produced
5 1 22707643 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1995 DYNAMIC MARKETING ALL BLACKS RUGBY 21 JONAH LOMU Card
6 1 22707644 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1987 ASTROBOYZ SURFING EDDIE AIKAU Card. Saw the 30/30 on him an had to add it. Would have liked something earlier but this was the earliest I could find
7 1 22707645 EXCELLENT 5 1981 GONG MAGAZINE RIC FLAIR VS. GREG VALENTINE HAND CUT Card
8 1 22707646 EXCELLENT 5 1982 GONG MAGAZINE HULK HOGAN HAND CUT Card
9 1 22707647 EXCELLENT 5 1982 COSMOS RIC FLAIR Card
10 1 22707648 NEAR MINT 7 1982 COSMOS HULK HOGAN
Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

Comments

• Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    As usual, great stuff that you don't see everyday ( or any day, for that matter).
    What are the details on the Cosmos cards? I would love to hear about those!
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    These are the cosmos cards. They were from vending machines in Japan. Looking forward to see how they look in slabs.

Here they are slabbed
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Surfing cards? Epic dude! Your variety is always fun.

Great stuff. Would love to see the pics.

Jim
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    Thanks. Ill post some scans when I get them back. I collect rookie cards from the major sports too.. I just figured these are things you might not see every day and some people might find them interesting
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Very nice! That is a good grade on the Popy Hogan. I wonder what is wrong with the Cosmos Ric Flair? They didn't look that bad I thought.
  • Options
    This is the bodyboard.. Amazing what's on google images.

• Options

<< <i>Very nice! That is a good grade on the Popy Hogan. I wonder what is wrong with the Cosmos Ric Flair? They didn't look that bad I thought. >>

I don't know. I really thought the flair had a shot at a 9 or 10 and was thinking 7 for the hogan. I thought the Gong were in the 7-8 range too. I'll take it though because I thought the Popy was a 5-6. It was a tough grader but at least there were no N9s. The Brees is the easiest card in this sub to replace so if anything has to come back in slabbed I'm glad it's that one
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks. Ill post some scans when I get them back. I collect rookie cards from the major sports too.. I just figured these are things you might not see every day and some people might find them interesting >>

Looking forward to seeing these. Surfing cards, who knew?!
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Very nice! That is a good grade on the Popy Hogan. I wonder what is wrong with the Cosmos Ric Flair? They didn't look that bad I thought. >>

I don't know. I really thought the flair had a shot at a 9 or 10 and was thinking 7 for the hogan. I thought the Gong were in the 7-8 range too. I'll take it though because I thought the Popy was a 5-6. It was a tough grader but at least there were no N9s. The Brees is the easiest card in this sub to replace so if anything has to come back in slabbed I'm glad it's that one >>

Yeah, I thought the Popy would have been a 5-6 too with the light staining on the back.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet! We all know Eddie would go, but which side of the argument are you on: do you think Eddie would tow?

• Options

Also, nice to find that Best card, no matter what condition. Nothing wrong with adding a 1.5 for that one.

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Sponging isn't surfing!
    I've got a box of surfing cards from the last 80's- Tommy Curren, Gary Elkerton, etc.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

<< <i>Sponging isn't surfing!
    I've got a box of surfing cards from the last 80's- Tommy Curren, Gary Elkerton, etc. >>

Haha. Agree. I was pretty surprised that mike Stewart even had a card and it included in that surfing set. I wouldn't even know him unless I had that board when I was little.
  • Options
    He was pretty incredible at the time- as dominating as Kelly Slater is now. Way, way ahead of everyone else.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    There was a 1993 Futera Gold foil kelly slater card on eBay a few months ago that sold for way more than expected. I would have set my snipes for about 40 bucks and I thought that was on the high side. I had no clue there was that much interest in his cards.

Auction
  • Options

Speaking of surfing card value, the earlier-issue Duke Kahanamoku cards can go for quite a lot sometimes too.
  • Options
    I've been looking for a 1913 duke but haven't really seen one at a reasonable price.
  • Options
    Pan Handle Scrap Duke always seems to be pretty high priced. I looked for a decade and could never find one to pull the trigger on.
    His Sport Kings is a nice card and pretty reasonable though.
    I've been looking for a trophy from the Duke Invitational for years to no avail.

• Options
    Here are some scans of the oddball sport cards

• Options
    This prob won't interest many people.. But just picked up the kelly slater card from the 1987 set. I had no idea he was even in the set. The card was only listed as ESA on the checklists I've seen. The fun part about collecting the oddball sports is finding new sets or cards like this.

• Options
    These just popped today. They were crossovers that psa never used to grade. I think the Maradona card could evolve into an important card for soccer collectors. It was pretty difficult to get this in a psa slab but glad PSA decided to grade it. The cricket cards seem ridiculous but they are actually really rare and I have gotten some unsolicited PM offers from people in India. I feel like getting them in psa holders gives the cards some validity.

1 1 22707370 NEAR MINT 7 1992 PRO SPORT CRICKET 3A SACHIN TENDULKAR Card
    2 1 22707371 EXCELLENT 5 1985 POULAIN SERIE 44 GRANDS NOMS DU SPORT 18 CARL LEWIS Card
    3 1 22707372 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1992 TOTAL CRICKET SACHIN TENDULKAR Card
    4 1 22707373 GOOD 2 1978 CRACK CAMPEONATO MUNDIAL AR10 DIEGO MARADONA Card
    5 1 22707374 NEAR MINT 7 2009 ABRIL GOL BRAZILIAN LEAGUE STICKERS 155 NEYMAR
  • Options

Nice work with the Maradona! Believe me, I can totally understand the difficulties of getting a vintage foreign soccer card graded by PSA for the first time, as I've been through it a bunch myself. Congrats, that is a nice one to have. The only ones I've seen have been really rough on back with paper loss that would keep them either at a 1 or an A.

• Options
    i've gotten quite a few sets graded for the first time.. and i think the 78 crack set was the most work.. the 1974 Yamakatsu was pretty difficult too though. Someday i'll get around to scanning all of my random rookie cards and put them in a single thread.
  • Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    eagles33 you seem to like some cool stuff I would have never even thought about. Did they make any skateboarder cards from the 80's. Those would be cool to see if they did.
  • Options
    Good question. The earliest that I know of are the SI for kids cards. Tony Hawk has one from 1990. I've looked for something earlier but haven't seen anything... But they could be out there. I didn't know about that kelly slater card until last week even though I knew about that set for a few years.
  • Options

<< <i>Good question. The earliest that I know of are the SI for kids cards. Tony Hawk has one from 1990. I've looked for something earlier but haven't seen anything... But they could be out there. I didn't know about that kelly slater card until last week even though I knew about that set for a few years. >>

I looked around EBay a bit and those were the earliest I saw in my few minutes of looking. I saw a Christian Hosoi from the SI for kids from 90 as well. Always wanted his model skateboard back in the 80's.
  • Options
    Funny, I remember Christian when he was a little kid of about 10 cruising the freestyle area of Marina. He got real good real fast.
    There was a skateboard set issued in 1978 by Donruss. The box and pack design is really good, but the cards are horrible. The selection is pretty spotty too. I bought a box a few years ago, they are really easy to find, and there is a pack on ebay right now with a bin of about $4.

• Options

<< <i>Funny, I remember Christian when he was a little kid of about 10 cruising the freestyle area of Marina. He got real good real fast.
    There was a skateboard set issued in 1978 by Donruss. The box and pack design is really good, but the cards are horrible. The selection is pretty spotty too. I bought a box a few years ago, they are really easy to find, and there is a pack on ebay right now with a bin of about $4. >>

I remember wanting a Hosoi Hammerhead skateboard so bad. That funky shape of the front of the deck was the coolest thing. I wish I still had my old Vision Gator board from back then.

Hosoi deck
  • Options
    Got these back from psa today. Neymar might no take the cut for the collection yet.. But if he pans out this will be his best card. It's an actual card not a sticker. PSA said they wouldn't grade it initially so I'm just happy it was

• Options
    Cool! Great additions!
  • Options
    Clearly I'm missing a surface issue on the flair card. The 9 on the kelly slater is actually a really high grade for that set. Ill post some scans when I get them back

GOOD 2 1968 Mira Tuttosport I Campionissimi 490 Lew Alcindor Card
    POOR 1 1978 Crack Campeonato Mundial AR10 Diego Maradona Card
    EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1987 Astroboyz Surfing Eddie Aikau Card
    MINT 9 1987 Astroboyz Surfing Kelly Slater Card
    NEAR MINT 7 1987 Astroboyz Surfing Kelly Slater Card
    EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1982 Cosmos Ric Flair Card
  • Options
    This thread is always a great read. Two 78 Maradonas?? I'm jealous!
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I sent in the common Cosmos since they looked good just to see if there are some surface issues with them or not. I'm running my own type of experiment to see if it is tough to get a mint grade with these. At least you got a small bump with it.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    I am strictly a baseball HOFer collector, but I've really enjoyed seeing and learning about sports cards that I never even knew existed. Thanks to all who've contributed to this very cool and educational thread!
  • Options
    Thanks. The Maradona has some paper loss but I think it presents better than the 2 that I have. The centering is much better on the 1. I enjoy discovering new cards from oddball sets. Just when I think I've gotten a "rookie" of a certain player I'll stumble across an earlier card. I just found out a few months ago about a 1966 card of Arthur Ashe and for the longest time I thought it was 1970 panini. Now the challenge is getting psa to grade it.
  • Options
    Bummer about the Flair. Did you crack it out and look at it before you sent it back?
  • Options
    I did.. I honestly thought it was better than a 6. Oh well. It was worth a shot. I wish I knew if it got a 6 for focus or for a surface issue.
  • Options
    It'll be interesting to see what WKC comes back within the Cosmos cards.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Just logged on Saturday so it will be a while
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Got the cards back today. I haven't seen many of the astroboyz cards in mint condition. I'm also pretty happy with the way the Maradona looks. Much better centering than the psa 2 I have. I'm on the fence about the Alcindor. The 69 topps card is such a classic card I think I need that for my rookie card collection over this.

• Options
    Nice looking cards.