Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

75 Topps Minis - what would these grade? UPDATE with grades

Just had my grades pop on these 4 along with a larger sub. I wanted to update the thread with the actual grades. Super pumped about the Burleson.

NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 291 BILL SUDAKIS
MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 533 RUDY MEOLI
MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 302 RICK BURLESON
N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 TOPPS MINI 16 FRANK TANANA
--
Wanted to turn to the experts here to get some opinions on these 4 that I'm considering sending in. The Burleson and Tanana are super low pop, even at 8. I'm hoping each of these could land in a PSA 8. The Tanana has a small spot or stain on the left border. Not sure if this is enough to put a ST qualifier on it. The other two look nice and solid 9s to me, but I'll defer to the crowd to see if I'm way off.

Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan Hoge - PSA President, IG: @maysmantle

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They look NICE! I hate to predict grades on 75's as PSA seems to have a different (tougher) standard for grading this year.

You could get 7's or 8's or even a 9 or two on these. I have a Killebrew and a couple other Minis on ebay right now that came back as 7's and I thought they would grade 8's.

Look at the corners with a loupe and check for any "chipping" at the very tips.

GOOD LUCK!

Please post results when they come back.

Joe

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    Burleson has the print mark on the left and the white mark (?) top right - i don't think it pulls an 8

Tanana has a small dot stain on the left side? also has a print mark on the E and looks like another to the right of him in the clouds? also seems like it a has an ever so slight tilt?

meoli is fuzzy on the borders, sudakis is pretty sharp (maybe a fuzzy bottom right corner?)

those are definitely some sharp cards, but i suspect they're probably 7s - that's the bet i would make
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My two cents:

Sudakis - strong 9 potential
    Meoli - L/R centering and rough cut right edge probably keeps it an 8
    Burleson - thinking a 7 w/fisheye by 'R' in Red & mark on top right border
    Tanana - probably gets the ST qualifier in an 8, the stain is too obvious in the white and the PD in the 'E' of Angels keeps it from a 9ST
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice cards! Tanana is short and will likely N6. Burleson looks full-sized or close to it and has a shot at an 8. Both those cards are beasts in this set. Meoli looks like an 8 and Sudakis has a good shot at a 9, imo. Good luck!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    I say all 8 except Sudakis a 9.

Nice cards!

aconte
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    Nice cards! Tanana is short and will likely N6. Burleson looks full-sized or close to it and has a shot at an 8. Both those cards are beasts in this set. Meoli looks like an 8 and Sudakis has a good shot at a 9, imo. Good luck!

I think Grote is spot on. The Tanana is definitely short (top/bottom). The Burleson has a shot at an 8, but I would guess it's no better than a 50/50 chance due to the PD at the top.

Edited to add: The dimensions of the card should be at least 80 mm tall x 57 mm wide. The Burleson and Tanana look slightly wide to me, but that shouldn't matter. The Tanana looks about 3-4 mm short and the more I look at that Burleson, the more it looks about 1-2 mm short to me. If they are under 80 mm tall, they will both likely N6. Is there any chance you'd be willing to measure the Tanana and Burleson and report those dimensions back here?
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    Burleson has a good shot at an 8 imo, if it slabs. Think it is an iota short, but for that card the pd is minimal. Tanana is too short. Meoli is an 8 with 9 upside on a good day. Sudakis looks like 9 with a shot at a 10 (if the bottom corners are as clean as the top, cant tell on my screen). It is very clean and bold as well as well centered.

Financially, little downside to subbing all 4. You wont get charged for an n6 and both would pay well if slabbed.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I'll measure them when I get home from work. All of these were pulled from a single pack that I opened the other day. The rest of the cards in the pack were in great shape, but the centering l/r was hit or miss. All out of the 9 range.

• Options
    Just measured all of these. Here's what I got.

Burleson 57 mm x 80 mm
    Meoli 57 mm x 80 mm
    Sudakis 57 mm x 80 mm
    Tanana 57 mm x 79 mm

So with the Tanana being 1 mm short, does that put it in the N6 bucket? For those that asked, the Sudakis is super sharp. The only real flaw the I can see is the upper right corner under a loupe isn't as sharp as the other 3.

Thanks for all the opinions. Very helpful.

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    I think all the cards look great but with my past experience with minis I see no more than a 7 on any of them.PSA is harsh on minis.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Tanana = N6
    Meoli= 8.5
    Sudakos= 8 (bottom right corner looks to have a ding?)
    Burleson=7
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    So with the Tanana being 1 mm short, does that put it in the N6 bucket?

9 times out of 10, yes. However, there is a PSA 7 Kusick Mini on eBay right now that looks about 1 mm short that was recently graded, so it might be worth a try to send in the Tanana as nice as that card looks.

Congrats on that Burleson being full size! If it were me, I would definitely sub that card. A 7 will at least cover the grading fee, and an 8 would be hitting the jack pot. Good luck!
  • Options
    I went ahead and pulled these out of the card savers and did another scan. This shows the edges and corners better. Any of the white specs on the cards are from the scanner. I think I'll end up submitting all 4. Will be sure to post results once I have them.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am by no means a grading expert, but I know what has eye appeal for me. In that case I favor the Sudakis over all the others as a best shot at a high grade. But some of those color combinations used for the 75's sure can test your stomach.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    I went ahead and ripped 3 more packs tonight. Thoughts on where these grade? Brett too oc for an 8?

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps no other set has had so many packs ripped and results shown on these boards, and those results never fail to impress me with just how UTTERLY BRUTAL this set is. I mean, how often do any of us really see a great mini HOFer that fills the holder, has no tilt, great centering, no PD, and untouched corners? A perfect mini is really a thing of beauty.

The Frank Tanana mini has to be one of the toughest cards Topps ever produced to find Gem Mt. I can think of a handful of other minis that are equally impossible to find with super high end eye appeal.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    Some very nice cards in that group, Ryan! Brett has a shot at an 8. Brock looks Mint 9. Some other potential 9s in there, also--Blue (if the white mark on the baseball is not on the card), Geronimo (centered a bit low, but not too bad, and a tough card), Walker, Fitzmorris, Smith, Cardenas, 1952 MVPs. On a good day several of those will grade Mint 9. Are these packs from BBCE?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Thanks tim. These are from BBCE. After opening that first pack and saw how nice the cards were, my friend and I bought the rest of the box. We have 26 of 36 packs from that box. This was one Steve opened in mid Feb.

• Options

<< <i>Thanks tim. These are from BBCE. After opening that first pack and saw how nice the cards were, my friend and I bought the rest of the box. We have 26 of 36 packs from that box. This was one Steve opened in mid Feb. >>

That box was from one of the better cases for sure. Good luck on the sub! Minis are always either an exercise in elation or frustration to submit, LOL..

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    If you could get an 8 on that Burrelson you hit the Jack pot.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Grades popped. Hit the jackpot on the Burleson.

NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 291 BILL SUDAKIS
    MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 533 RUDY MEOLI
    MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 302 RICK BURLESON
    N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 TOPPS MINI 16 FRANK TANANA

• Options
    Nice! Between that and the Montague card, you paid for all the packs and grading fees, LOL!

• Options
    Awesomeness! Very nice sub.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dynamite image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice hit on the Burleson.

Robb
  • Options
    First off, congratulations! That's a nice hit. I am very happy for you.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I can't see how that Burleson is a 9. Fish eyes, top border, and it's tilted....I continue to be baffled by PSA's grades at times

Regardless, very well done!
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
  • Options
    Just checked VCP...WOW! That might be a $1000 card. Double Congrats!
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure that was the Burleson that got the 9, but I did submit two in my sub. The other graded out an 8. I'll know for sure when I get the cards Monday. This one actually might have been the 8.

• Options
    AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭

<< <i>Nice cards! Tanana is short and will likely N6. Burleson looks full-sized or close to it and has a shot at an 8. Both those cards are beasts in this set. Meoli looks like an 8 and Sudakis has a good shot at a 9, imo. Good luck! >>

Wow, Grote nailed it.

Edit: Just re-read, he didn't nail it but was pretty close and called the N6. Still pretty good.