Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

COMC false advertising ?

Just a little worried about Beckett attacking of COMC with legal lawsuits. Is it possible that Beckett could pursue COMC for False or Misleading Advertising practices with all the problems with the COMC website? There are thousands of listings on COMC with Photo and description miss matches that are obviously difficult for a buyer to understand what is actually being sold. Hope that the Beckett Legal team does not pick up on some crazy counter to the counter lawsuit. Is it safe for me to keep sending cards to COMC?

Comments

• Options
    ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    I, like a lot of others, have slowed down/stopped sending in submissions until the new catalog is straightened out. It's just such a mess now.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like anything else, it's a gamble. You'll most likely get 50% off submission fees right now since they're working on the catalog non-stop and not checking in new cards as quickly. Other companies could learn from that policy, miss your date and customer gets 50% off.
  • Options

<< <i>Like anything else, it's a gamble. You'll most likely get 50% off submission fees right now since they're working on the catalog non-stop and not checking in new cards as quickly. Other companies could learn from that policy, miss your date and customer gets 50% off. >>

Wouldn't that be something. Couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    buymycardsbuymycards Posts: 125 ✭✭
    COMC has been a real mess. Part of the problem is the "Challenge". Giving people an incentive to enter a bunch of items as quickly as possible just creates errors. It doesn't matter what category you search, there are errors everywhere. The historical pricing is incorrect, the teams, insert names, card numbers, player names are all messed up. It took 9 weeks to get some of my cards on the site, and I'm still waiting for the rest of the order to be processed. The problem with the cards that have been processed is that all of the info is wrong. COMC expects me to add all of the card details for my cards. Unless I am missing something, isn't that what I paid them to do?

For instance, I sent in some NASCAR cards. I have a 2011 Stealth card, and the pricing history shows all of the sales and current pricing for all of the 2011 Stealth cards. My card is an insert of one of the top drivers, but I can't enter that information and I can't do a search for that insert set. They have the "fast track" process, but it seems more like a slow track to me. I have 3000 cards boxed up that I was going to send in, but I won't even consider sending more cards until this mess is cleaned up. I would be better off listing these myself on ebay.

• Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>It's just such a mess now. >>

It's such a wasteland, at least the football section, that I won't even TRY using the site again to finish up any sets.

I guess it's back to Sportlots.com for the foreseeable future. image

Snorto~
  • Options
    LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I, like a lot of others, have slowed down/stopped sending in submissions until the new catalog is straightened out. It's just such a mess now. >>

I am in this boat. I'm waiting to see how long it takes for the catalog to be finished or to get better until I send more in.
    Matt

• Options
    it has gotten alittle better.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I have 3000 cards boxed up that I was going to send in, but I won't even consider sending more cards until this mess is cleaned up. I would be better off listing these myself on ebay. >>

I have no doubt that once all this gets cleared up, COMC will be stronger than ever. And I think right now would be a GREAT time to send in a big submission. They've already guaranteed half off the prices if they don't meet the deadline.
  • Options
    DaClydeDaClyde Posts: 17 ✭✭

<< <i>COMC has been a real mess. Part of the problem is the "Challenge". Giving people an incentive to enter a bunch of items as quickly as possible just creates errors. It doesn't matter what category you search, there are errors everywhere. The historical pricing is incorrect, the teams, insert names, card numbers, player names are all messed up. It took 9 weeks to get some of my cards on the site, and I'm still waiting for the rest of the order to be processed. The problem with the cards that have been processed is that all of the info is wrong. COMC expects me to add all of the card details for my cards. Unless I am missing something, isn't that what I paid them to do? >>

The Challenge is set up just like the system at FamilySearch for the public indexing of historical records. Every card passes through the challenge system at least 3 times to ensure accuracy and avoid the "just type anything" mentality you seem to be implying is in effect. Every value entered is compared against at least two other instances of that value being entered, and the incorrect values can be reported and corrected. The incorrect player names are not a result of the challenges, it's a result of a very low-fidelity player database where their filing system is only tying a players first two letters of their first name and last name (like kegr for Ken Griffey). Eventually, they'll get that fixed, but for now it is a pain when searching.

Really though, what was everyone expecting, that the transition to a new database would be seamless despite all the public announcements to the contrary? Anyone who is surprised by the state of COMC at the moment has clearly not been keeping up with anything they've been saying (via ALL of thier social media outlets) since December. The alternative to the problems you see on the site now would have been for them to completely shut the site down for the month of April. Think of the level of panic and whining that would have generated! At least now, the system is still open, cards can still be bought and sold and new submissions are being processed and shipments are being made.

And, no, COMC doesn't expect you to enter the details for your cards, they are simply making that facility available to you should you choose to do so. If not, you can just wait and it will be done for you. Perhaps not instantly as you expect, but it will still get done.

I've actually sold more cards from my COMC account since April 1 than I did from 01 Nov 2013-31 Mar 2014 combined. So while it's not optimal at the moment, I think there are actually more eyes on COMC.com this month than there have been in awhile BECAUSE of the transition and the challenges.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    If Beckett succeeds in driving COMC into bankruptcy with this lawsuit, I wonder what would happen to everyone's store credit or the cards they "own" that are in COMC's warehouse.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Checked last night and even though the "Challenges" system they used for their site visitors to help build the database shows that player names have been assigned to each card, a site search for players named "missing" still turns up over 300,000 cards for which no player name is assigned in the database.

Additionally, there has to be thousands of cards mis-named. And it is not only because the errant name and the real name share a common set of initials. There are plenty mis-named that are just random. Hakeem Olajuwon's name assigned to an Ann Meyers card doesn't seem to follow any rhyme or reason. I don't know how they will ever find all those types of errors but I wish them the best.