Home Sports Talk

Don Mattingly's Managing Abilities and/or Tactics

MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
I have been a New York Yankees fan since I was 7 years old. My favorite Yankees player of all time has been Don Mattingly ever since I was in high school. My best friend treated me to Don Mattingly Day at Yankee Stadium on August 31, 1997. I have since had Donnie Baseball sign my ticket stub from that historic day. Recently, I have been a little bit conflicted about my loyalty to the New York Yankees. Please do not misunderstand me. They are still my favorite baseball team. I just don't know what I would do if the New York Yankees were to face the Los Angeles Dodgers in the World Series. I may find myself rooting for Donnie to win his first World Series rather than the New York Yankees to win their 28th.

I thought that it would be fun to create a discussion that is related to Don Mattingly for collectors to share anything and everything that they wish to share. Do you collect Don Mattingly baseball cards? Does your sports memorabilia collection contain any unique Don Mattingly items? What are your personal experiences that you would like to share about him? Does he deserve to be in the National Baseball Hall of Fame? I look forward to reading your responses as well as sharing some additional things of my own.
"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."

Comments

• CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Mikey, if you want to talk about his cards and collectibles, you should start a thread like this over in the Community/Sports Card forum- it gets all the traffic, and is the right forum to get some interest.

I thought this thread was going to be about Mattingly's managing tactics/abilities when I clicked on it.
  • MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Don who??? >>

I don't get it, Baseball. Your author icon indicates that you are a Yankees fan, and yet you do not seem to appreciate the only ray of hope during the longest World Series drought in Yankees history. I understand that many baby boomers continue to enjoy worshipping Mickey Mantle, and many echo boomers have never known a Yankees team without Derek Jeter, but some of us still enjoyed visiting Yankee Stadium even though they weren't winning championships.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."

<< <i>Mikey, if you want to talk about his cards and collectibles, you should start a thread like this over in the Community/Sports Card forum- it gets all the traffic, and is the right forum to get some interest. >>

C Note, thanks for the advice. I will do just that.

<< <i>I thought this thread was going to be about Mattingly's managing tactics/abilities when I clicked on it. >>

I moved the discussion to the Sports Cards & Memorabilia Forum. I have posted the link below. If anyone would like to discuss Don Mattingly's managing abilities and/or tactics, please feel free to do so here. Thanks again C Note.

Don Mattingly
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I don't know much about Mattingly's managing tactics, but I do like the way he is putting Puig in his place when he needs to (at least that's the way it appears from a distance).
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>I don't know much about Mattingly's managing tactics, but I do like the way he is putting Puig in his place when he needs to (at least that's the way it appears from a distance). >>

I do too. Remiinds me of the stance Pete Carroll took with the Seahawks when he first arrived. Made a lot of fans that had settled for playoff wins say "Hey! What's he think he's doing?!"
    I totally agree about Yasiel Puig. Don Mattingly was never a flashy player who demanded a lot of attention. That was a pretty remarkable trait, particularly considering that he was playing in New York City back in the 1980s. He is Midwest born and bred, and his modest demeanor coupled along with his tremendous work ethic were exactly what the Yankees needed back then. Steinbrenner should have worked the farm system more for players just like him rather than going for the big overpriced flash that was so reminiscent of that time period. If Puig doesn't straighten out, and I am absolutely confident that he will, he may find himself gone before the All-Star break.

For what it's worth, I was very impressed with the way that Donnie stuck with Josh Beckett when the chips were down in the fifth inning last night. It was a very temperate managerial approach that I am sure he has learned from Joe Torre.
  • Happy birthday Don!
  • You all know I am a diehard Dodger fan since the 1950's, I have watched or listened to almost every game this year. As a player & person, I think the world of Mattingly. He reminds me a lot of how I think of Lou Gehrig, a modest, hard working, respectful person. But as a Dodger fan who was used to winning a couple of World Series titles every decade, I am starving for one after 25 years, I find myself very concerned about Donnie's decision making.

Now I can go on & on with examples, but let's take last night for instance: Beckett, just back from DL, was not sharp. I do like the way Donnie removed him though as he waited till he got the strikeout for the 2nd out and than brought in Maholm to get the 3rd out, which he did, keeping Beckett with a little something positive going forward. But with one run down & the meat of the order coming up in the 9th he brings in Perez, who has not been good this year. Perez walks 4 batters in a row, Donnie does not get anybody up & throwing in the BP until Perez has walked 2 batters & a 2 ball count on the next. As poor as Perez has been, he should have had somebody throwing immediately. So after 4 consecutive walks, he brings in the sinkerball pitcher League to get the ground ball double play against a non pull hitter Russell Martin. Bam! There's the ground ball right to the 2nd base position for the double play but because they have Gordon shifted way over playing Martin to pull, it's a 2 run base hit to right & the game is broken open!

This is only one instance, I can go on & on. I am trying to back Donnie but we just can't continue to give games away. Ownership has done their part, they have spent a ton of money on great players. The players must perform & it is up to the coaching staff to put them in the best state of success.

I do think he has done a great job with Puig. Most of you that knock Puig are listening to the media way to much instead of the full games. This kid did not receive proper training in his early years & must learn what most young players have already been taught, and he is doing so with a very complicated past. he has a great attitude, loves the game and loves to have fun playing, just as any kid should. He made a ton of mistakes in his on field decision making last year but has done much better this year. He still makes mistakes & when he does, Oh boy, the media blows it out of proportion & that is what you see.
    Interesting analysis Cocoa Beach Dodgers. Growing up in Connecticut as a huge Don Mattingly fan, I can tell you that your comparison to Lou Gehrig is one that I had heard many times in the local newspapers back then. Being in New York now, I would not know how often the types of managerial scenarios that you have described have played out in Los Angeles. I really do hope that Donnie gets a World Series ring with the Dodgers. He deserves it. I also agree with what you say about Yasiel Puig. Thanks for replying to the discussion.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    it's not Don's fault that his 4th & 5th rotation slots are routinely combustible and his 10 million dollar set-up man has been a bust. he's also not persistently throwing at Hanley Ramirez.

still in the race for the right to get bounced by St. Louis again.

<< <i>still in the race for the right to get bounced by St. Louis again. >>

I can't wait for October to arrive. This is shaping up to be a great season for MLB.
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also like how he handled and continues to deal with Puig's development.

It can't be easy to devote so much energy to one player when as he has an entire team to manage.

Don gives him leeway to use his obvious natural gifts but holds him accountable as well.

In another atmosphere Puig could have had a short, wild, "what could have been" career. I think Donnie is setting him up for much better.

Go Yanks!

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

I totally agree Sparky.
    Am I the only one who thinks that Don Mattingly should not have allowed Clayton Kershaw to talk him out of relieving him in the seventh inning last night? What a disaster.
  • CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    I agree..He should have over ruled Clayton's opinion and should have pulled him. But,
    I guess that shows respect between a player and manager.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan

<< <i>I guess that shows respect between a player and manager. >>

That is a valid point Cubby.
    After the second hit in the seventh, with no outs, I said "Pull him Donnie." I said it out loud. He must not have heard me. Better luck next year.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>still in the race for the right to get bounced by St. Louis again. >>

too many Matt's and it all went Wong.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭

<< <i>After the second hit in the seventh, with no outs, I said "Pull him Donnie." I said it out loud. He must not have heard me. Better luck next year. >>

As a Dodger fan I would appreciate if you would be louder next year!
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mattingly still thinks through the prism of a player IMO... but short rest or not you can't blame him for putting his best guy in for a must-win game.

I think if anyone choked for LA it was the overhyped Yasiel Puig. 8 strikeouts I believe, whined like a baby and abused his bat after each one.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012