Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

So disappointing... (Update 5/13... closure)

I recently purchased a PSA 10 graded Kevin Durant Auto RC from eBay. I was very excited to track its delivery and I knew it was scheduled to be arrive today. When I got home and opened the mailer this is what I found.

The seller shipped it in a very thin bubble mailer without any protection around it. I hope he got the package insured because I am obviously requesting a refund. I am disappointed because I really wanted this card and was really excited to add it to my KD collection. This would have been my first PSA 10 auto of him.
Steve

Comments

• Options
    The card doesn't look damaged. Why not just have him pay for a reholder?
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Dan,

Believe me I would be more than willing to take that as a resolution. There are a couple issues. I don't know what my window is with eBay/Paypal to get the reholdering done. More importantly, to my knowledge if PSA takes this card out of the holder and there was some damage that is not visible through the case now, they could downgrade the card from a PSA 10 to a 9 or 8 or whatever they deem it to be presently. If it comes back a 10 I would be happy to have paid what I have for it. If it comes back even a 9 it's not even worth 2/3 of that. That's not a risk I am willing to take without some assurance from the seller that I can get my money back. There is no guarantee that reholdering will get the card back to me as a 10. That is the problem.

I messaged the seller and I am waiting to here what he wants to do. I told him I would be willing to keep or rebuy the card from him if it is reholdered into a PSA 10. I will update after I hear from the seller.
    Steve
  • Options
    Crappy situation. Good luck!
  • Options
    Dan,

Thanks for the well wishes. Hoping it can get reholdered into a 10. And man, what a quick response! I wish eBay sellers were as fast on the response as you. That's how you get 775 posts in 3 months image
    Steve
  • Options
    Ugh. That would def annoy me. Talk about disappointment.

I would make sure to stress to him that he can get it reholdered. That may lessen the pain for him and possibly allow this screw up to be handled much easier. So he doesn't think he's completely out of the money and be more willing. IMHO.

Oh how much does a 10 vs a 9 go for?
  • Options
    Steelernation,

I brought up reholdering as an option in my message to the seller. Like I said, I would prefer to keep the card if it is reholdered into a 10. I just don't want to be saddled with the card if PSA looks at the card and decides it's anything besides a 10. The value of the card obviously plummets with each grade lowered. I bought the card BIN for $300 which I think is a very fair price for a KD RC Auto in PSA 10. If it were to downgrade to a 9 I think it would lose about 1/3 of its value and probably be worth around $200. If it is an 8 you would probably be better cracking and selling the card raw. That being said, I didn't buy the card to resell it. I have a PSA 10 KD RC collection going and this would have been my first PSA 10 RC Auto of his, which is why this is so disappointing.

It is not necessarily the seller's fault as clearly a lot of stress must have been put on the package to cause this kind of damage to the case. I have bought probably 100+ PSA cards in the last year and many sellers have packaged cards similarly and not had any damage come to the cards. Only one other case had been damaged. In that case, USPS clearly was at fault as the package was beat up with tears in it. The card's slab had minor stress cracks that were only visible on the back of the slab that also clearly didn't affect the card's condition. That one was only a $15 card so I wasn't losing sleep over it. I messaged that seller that the case was damaged in shipping and he offered me $5 partial refund to pay for reholdering (which given the value of the card was more than a fair resolution). In this case, the slab is cracked all the way through, front and back, which is why I am nervous the card could be damaged as well. It's just disappointing that the seller didn't protect a $300 card with at least another layer of bubble wrap or some cardboard. When I mail cards, I typically put cardboard against either side of the holder and wrap in bubble wrap to try and protect the card/holder from damage. We'll see what the seller says. I am open to any solution that ends up with me having this card in a new PSA 10 holder or gets me a refund.
    Steve
  • Options

A card like that should not be send in a bubble mailer. That is just lazy and irresponsible on the sellers part.
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭
    Sellers fault all the way. A card like that should be boxed, either a 400 count card box, or for a card with that value, a small flat rate priority box wouldn't be too much to ask. If he did have insurance on it they won't pay the claim as it wasn't packaged securely enough to begin with.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is exactly why I use the poly bubble mailers with loads of bubble wrap. If you want even further protection use card board cut outs like you should with raw cards.

There is no excuse for cheap shipping.

I decided to give these a try and will see how they look when they come.

Poly Bubble Mailer
  • Options
    jboxjbox Posts: 408 ✭✭

<< <i>This is exactly why I use the poly bubble mailers with loads of bubble wrap. If you want even further protection use card board cut outs like you should with raw cards.

Poly Bubble Mailer >>

I have these and they're not bad at all.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>This is exactly why I use the poly bubble mailers with loads of bubble wrap. If you want even further protection use card board cut outs like you should with raw cards.

Poly Bubble Mailer >>

I have these and they're not bad at all. >>

Not bad? Or good? I am thrilled with the one's I have been buying from Office Depot but they keep raising the price and it is getting hard to justify such a spread. I have also been selling some very low dollar cards of late and thought it would be wise to order a batch of these.
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that and hopefully you can send it back to him for a full refund...anything else would get messy in my opinion. Very similar happen to me a couple years back on a PSA 10 Topps Mattingly rookie...think I paid 100 bucks...the seller claimed it's all about the PSA label and the crack (not touching the card) shouldn't reduce the cost...if I recall the packing he used was similar to what Topps uses on redemptions, paper envelope with thin bubble-wrap...since it was clear the card wasn't at all damaged, I accept a partial refund...The Mattingly currently sits with others of that era awaiting submission. Good luck.
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Poly Bubble Mailer >>

I have these and they're not bad at all. >>

Not bad? Or good? I am thrilled with the one's I have been buying from Office Depot but they keep raising the price and it is getting hard to justify such a spread. I have also been selling some very low dollar cards of late and thought it would be wise to order a batch of these. >>

You can get a pretty good price on bubble mailers on eBay also, just check feedback for quality. Package the card between 4 pieces of corrugated cardboard, throw in a packing peanut or two to make sure its 3/4" thick and it stays under 3 ounces which costs the same as a bubble mailer with just an unprotected card at 1 ounce. I also put a "SCAN ME" florescent sticker on the package near the bar code.
  • Options
    pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭
    From what you described of the slab condition, full refund is your only option. No guarantees when PSA pops it, it will retain the 10 grade. Why should you chance re-holdering it? His poor packaging caused the problem. Put it on the seller to re-sub the card to PSA. First, return the card for a full refund, but agree to re-purchase the card at the original selling price . . . IF . . . it comes back in a new un-damaged slab as a 10. Also, specify seller re-ships to you in a box. If he protests, walk. Then, go through paypal / EB to get a full refund. Good Luck!
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    To reholder a card worth $300 it is like $40 all together....not $5 by any means. Postage both ways and insurance plus the fees. Pain in the ARSE. Folks always say it's $5.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With a card of such a high value I would double even triple level pack it and assume the worst case scenario in it's transit to a buyer. Even putting the card in a water proof plastic baggy/saran wrap in case the package is exposed to moisture/rain. It's worth the extra effort/slight material expense to ensure against, as best as you can, this type of described scenario. It not only disapoints the buyer who was waiting with great anticipation of an addition to their collection, but ties up the sellers income with having to make good on the transaction until the buyer is happy with the transaction. You can pack correctly the first time or have the lack of proper packing come back to haunt you later. From what I've observed lack of proper packing and lack of proper description are the 2 biggest issues related to card purchases. This is my policy on shipping that fits best for me. JMHO.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to see this Steve. Hoping for a good resolution. Disappointing says it pretty well.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    Thanks for your sharing your thoughts everyone. Yes, I am requesting a refund. I haven't heard back from the seller yet. Which is a little annoying. He only has about 100 feedback so he probably doesn't do this for a living so I will give him a 24 hour pass to respond before I get really annoyed. I am hoping that I have little to worry about. I have read here that eBay seems to side with buyers in most cases, whether warranted or not, so I think this case should open and shut. I would not risk attempting to reholder it. Although I hope he does. I would be more than happy to buy the card back from him at the same price if it stayed a 10. Again very disappointing as this was avoidable. If he packed this card how I pack $15 cards I sell, we would both be happier right now.
    Steve
  • Options
    daprodapro Posts: 209 ✭✭
    You have nothing to worry about, you will get your full refund if you ever need to open an ebay case.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Poly Bubble Mailer >>

Wait a minute--you are going from premium quality mailers at a buck a piece to ones that cost 16 cents!!?? image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be awesome if just 1x Joe Orlando was reading these boards and said:

Hey Bro, send that in to me all wrapped up as nice and neat as possible not to damage the card any further, and I'll have it reslabbed at no cost for you, and we will pay for return shipping!

Wouldn't that be just the best, but that never happens. When you go through the drive through, you ALWAYS get less food, ya never get more.

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The card doesn't look damaged. Why not just have him pay for a reholder? >>

DO NOT REHOLDER!!! My friend just tried this with a SP Jim Lynch rookie that went from a 10 to a 3. PSA will tell you they can't determine anything until they crack the card, and they WILL change the grade. Get your money back. It is amazing how so many cards and photos are poorly packaged and when you return them, you get the old refrain "I've been shipping like this for years and never had a problem".
  • Options

<< <i>

Poly Bubble Mailer >>

Wait a minute--you are going from premium quality mailers at a buck a piece to ones that cost 16 cents!!?? image >>

It depends on what they look like when I get them. If they are too cheap then no. And by the way your math isn't very good. They are $.2495.
  • Options
    If you're going to the National in Cleveland, you could bring it to PSA booth as is & let them reholder it for you for no charge if they will. Same grade, same serial #. in new holder.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why sellers insist on shipping graded cards in #000 (4" x 7") mailers... those suck and tend to give you this result. I've been using #00 (5" x 9" mailers and folding them in half. I fold the mailer in half for raw cards, and folds halfway for graded cards. It gives you an extra layer of rigidity, with no extra packing material needed. If I ever sell a card for over $75, I ship it inside a USPS Small Flat Rate Priority Box with bubble wrap.

I don't like those poly mailers at all... they are more flimsy than the kraft bubble mailers. I've been using Royal Mailers for years and have been very happy with them. I'm only spending $0.19 per mailer, and you can get them even cheaper if you buy more in bulk, or even cheaper than that if you feel like taking a chance with an ebay seller.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Poly Bubble Mailer >>

Wait a minute--you are going from premium quality mailers at a buck a piece to ones that cost 16 cents!!?? image >>

It depends on what they look like when I get them. If they are too cheap then no. And by the way your math isn't very good. They are $.2495. >>

I'm not counting the cost of shipping...the list price is 16 cents per mailer.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Well I got my response from the seller. He basically told me to kick rocks. Here was his response:

"None of ur reasons would merit a refund none if that is my fault. U can send the card to get regarded urself. We can let eBay handle this matter from here"

So I believe my next step is to have Customer Support review the case. Assuming they side with me, I would have to return the item to the seller. Obviously I need to send with delivery tracking and since it is over $250 I believe I have to have signature confirmation. It appears the seller is going to make this difficult. What if upon delivery the seller refuses to sign for the package? What will eBay do in that situation. Do I have recourse in that situation?
    Steve
  • Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    It is most definitely his fault. The seller has the responsibility to ensure that the item reaches the buyer in the stated condition. Don't send the card back yet- you should file a claim immediately and let eBay guide you from there.

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    The seller should have insured the card on his own, for his own protection. It's the seller's fault. You should be refunded, and he should get his insurance money if he did in fact insure the card.
  • Options
    Just be patient with ebay but they'll get this right for you. Hold onto the card and don't even go back and forth anymore with the seller...it'll just aggravate you.
  • Options
    Steve, file the claim and just be very matter of fact in your response to ebay. Chances are they will even send you a prepaid return label, too. Do not communicate with the seller anymore. Ebay will decide in your favor but it will take a while. Good luck.

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    just open a case via ebay.. i don't even think they even read them and just rule in favor of the buyer.. in this case it sounds like the correct ruling anyways.. sucks about the card and that you have to deal with it though.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    Reholdering...always thought theyd reholder and give the same grade as policy. Buuut what if the holder is damaged as in the OPs but somehow pierces then plastic and card is damaged? Are u guys sure no grade change is the policy or that they review it as one poster mentioned?

When I click on the link...says $0.16 cents
  • Options
    Yes. I have only had to return items previously with bigger sellers who had the no questions 14 day return policy. This is the first time I had a seller basically say "I am not accepting a return". When I saw his response I didn't see where I could escalate this case. The only obvious button was a respond to the seller with a new message. So I responded politely to him and said we could let eBay decide. I didn't see until after I already responded that I think I need to go to Take Actions tab and escalate the case through customer support there. Now I don't believe I have that option, since I sent a message to the seller. I think I have to wait for this seller to respond before I can do anything else. If I am wrong please let me know so I can start the process ASAP. If/when he responds I will be sure to escalate the case to customer support so I can get their decision. He seems to be under the impression that he does not have to accept the return because he has a No Returns policy on the item. I am cautiously optimistic (I don't want to jinx anything) that eBay will support my SNAD case and do right by me. I was annoyed with his response initially but I am just ready to move on and be done with this. I will chalk it up as a seller who doesn't really know what he's doing and move on. What a shame that because of careless packaging neither of us is going to end up really happy with the end result.
    Steve
  • Options
    Steve, you should still be able to open a case--just click on the "resolve a problem" link under "more actions" to the right of the item on your purchase history page.

• Options
    scashaggyscashaggy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭
    On your 'My ebay' page under purchased items you will see the item with the issue.
    Look at the far right next to the item.
    Click 'more actions'.
    Click 'Resolve a problem' from the drop down menu.

• Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. I just got word from eBay that they have sided with me on the case. They sent me a prepaid UPS label and all I have to do is send back the card and wait for confirmation of delivery and I should have my refund. I am pretty sure the seller did not take out insurance on the item as he cheaped out on the simple packaging that could have prevented this. He was unapologetic and borderline rude to my polite request to work something out with him so I don't feel too badly for him. Ultimately, I am still bummed that I don't have the card I wanted. At least it looks like I will get my money back though and the seller will learn an expensive lesson on life as an eBay seller.
    Steve
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    It's not hard to be courteous when it's your mistake. So I'm sorta glad that all this a-hole is getting is the damaged card.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Poly Bubble Mailer >>

It depends on what they look like when I get them. If they are too cheap then no. And by the way your math isn't very good. They are $.2495. >>

I got these in the mail today. I won't be using them to ship my cards. Way to flimsy and much lower quality then the one's I am using. If someone wants these for free and is willing to pay the shipping send me a PM and they are yours.

Edit: Claimed.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    David...I have been using valuemailers.com for awhile now. I used Royal Mailers only once, and I too, found them to be too flimsy and poorly made for my taste. I prefer a more rigid bubble mailer, and those fit the bill.
  • Options
    pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭
    Now that you have been made whole by eBay, after all the s--t this d--k seller has put you through, if it were me, I'd administer the coup de grace and nuke his sorry a-- by dropping a neg on his feedback profile, with one star on the rating box sections. With only 100 FB, that would burn. Just my dos centavos . . .
  • Options
    Got an email from eBay saying that the seller received the card via UPS today and that I would receive my refund. Glad it worked out in terms of the return. Not sure if I will post a Neg on the seller or not. I may just let him deal with the lost sale and cracked holder and leave it at that. I have never left a neg before.
    Steve
  • Options
    scashaggyscashaggy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭
    While I am not big on leaving negs either, I would have no problem leaving one if it were me. Your feedback is your experience with the seller and the fact that you had a real issue. Other buyers need to know this. JMO.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    First and foremost, glad you are getting your refund and can be done with this mess.

If it was a lower-value card, I would probably just let it go without leaving any feedback at all. Considering the value of this one I'd at least leave a neutral. I would point out in my feedback that the card could have been better packaged considering it was fairly valuable. Just my 2 cents. Your mileage may vary image.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I wouldnt give him a neg based on the card case cracking, as honestly, I have sent hundreds of cards out in bubble mailers without issue. (Granted, most were in the $20-$30 range). I would give him at least a neutral based on how he handled it
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neg the seller, that is what the feedback system is for. Unless you think this whole process was a positive experience.

Drives me nuts that people are so unwilling to leave accurate feedback, we'd all be better off if we knew which sellers were jerks.
  • Options
    So about a week ago I picked this up and it arrived safely in the mail yesterday. I actually paid just about exactly the same amount for this card as I did for the first one (within $1). I would rather have the first one as I believe it is far rarer in PSA 10 but it is nice to have my Kevin Durant Autographed RC in PSA 10 one way or the other. I haven't left feedback yet for the original seller. I will likely put down a neutral, not for the shipping as that wasn't his fault necessarily but rather his unwillingness to accept responsibility for the problem and the attitude in which he responded to me when I notified him of the problem. I saw in his feedback there was already a neg on him for another high dollar card where he would not work with the buyer on a resolution to some problem. I don't know the details, if he was right or wrong in that scenario, but I think it is fair to alert potential buyers that customer service is not a priority for this seller and to bid at your risk on higher dollar cards. Anyway, here is my brand new card. Thanks everyone who offered insights, opinions and general well wishes during this fiasco. It definitely helped me stay cool through the process of getting my refund.

Steve
  • Options
    Very cool card!!! Sorry you had such an ordeal