Home Sports Talk
Options

MLB replay officiating...what is your early take?

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
Like it, hate it or don't care?

Comments

• Options
    I think it is a wonderful way to slow a painfully sleepy game to more of a snaillike crawl.

We need corporate sponsorship though. Maybe the Doublemint double play challenge or the Pepsi, out at first challenge.

Good way to get more money into the game so the players can truly be paid what they are worth.

• Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Hate it, and the transfer rule change. IF I had cable, I wouldn't watch the games now. As is, I'd rather sit on the back porch and read with Pandora in the background, rather than listen to the brutality that is now MLB.
  • Options

<< <i>Hate it, and the transfer rule change. IF I had cable, I wouldn't watch the games now. As is, I'd rather sit on the back porch and read with Pandora in the background, rather than listen to the brutality that is now MLB. >>

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess they made the new Home Plate Rule also.

They all should wear dresses!image
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm tepid on it. I like the out/safe at first, homerun, etc... But the must get away from the whole catch and transfer play as well as the home plate lane BS.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I'm fine with replay. I may be more fine with it because the Giants have managed to get 3 out of 4 calls reversed.

The pace of a baseball game has never bothered me.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All for it as long as they continue to get more calls right than wrong. Better yet all right with the replays review. But there is that little clause in the formula-must be conclusive. By the way last week HOF Mike Schmidt stated that he feels within 10 years MLB will have Balls/Strikes called by a scanning device. Still will be a home plate umpire though.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

<< <i> Mike Schmidt stated that he feels within 10 years MLB will have Balls/Strikes called by a scanning device. Still will be a home plate umpire though. >>

For what purpose, to serve Pina Coladas to the prima donna players?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> Mike Schmidt stated that he feels within 10 years MLB will have Balls/Strikes called by a scanning device. Still will be a home plate umpire though. >>

For what purpose, to serve Pina Coladas to the prima donna players? >>

We get it--you don't like the game of baseball anymore, lol..

Replay is fine. I don't understand those who get all worked up about it. As digicat said, if you're a true fan, the pace of the game is not something that should irritate or annoy you. If so, don't watch or talk about it. As Johnny Bench once said, the game of baseball is still great, you just have to appreciate the good parts.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok with it, generally .... but my lord, the transfer rule is horrid!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

<< <i>We get it--you don't like the game of baseball anymore, lol.. >>

Baseball is the greatest team sport ever created. I follow the University of Arizona teams intently (men's baseball, women's softball). They actually run out grounders to first.

MLB lost me somewhere between the Strike and the Superball homerun era.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Say.....anybody know what the count is? image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>We get it--you don't like the game of baseball anymore, lol.. >>

Baseball is the greatest team sport ever created. I follow the University of Arizona teams intently (men's baseball, women's softball). They actually run out grounders to first.

MLB lost me somewhere between the Strike and the Superball homerun era. >>

I should have clarified my statement by saying MLB. Still the highest level of baseball to watch and the most impressive. And there are plenty of guys who run out grounders and hustle at the major league level. You must not be watching close enough.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>I should have clarified my statement by saying MLB. Still the highest level of baseball to watch and the most impressive. And there are plenty of guys who run out grounders and hustle at the major league level. You must not be watching close enough. >>

Fair enough. It is interesting how our fandom evolves, or revolves as we get older. Up until my 30's, Saturday baseball was the event of choice to lull me into a nice afternoon nap. Now it is Golf.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    This should clear up the transfer rule nonsense.

That pretty much reverts it back to the pre-2014 interpretation.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting rid of the Home Plate umpire would be the biggest improvement EVER! More bad calls made there than everywhere else combined.

Let the computer call balls and strikes...it's always right. I'm surprised they (umpires) allow the viewers to see the computer grid on pitches. It really makes them (umpires) look bad!
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Getting rid of the Home Plate umpire would be the biggest improvement EVER! More bad calls made there than everywhere else combined.

Let the computer call balls and strikes...it's always right. >>

They can let a computer calls balls and strikes, but an umpire would still be needed behind the plate for fair/foul balls, foul tips, HBPs, checking the baseballs for pine tar or damage, etc.
  • Options
    After reading different baseball books through the years, including ones on umpires, the thought came to me of favortism by umpires for certain pitchers in relation to the calling of balls/strikes. If true, I wonder how many inflated strikeout totals came as a result of this possibility. They are, after all human, and would imagine their emotions must of got to them on certain occasions. If a like or dislike was established for a certain pitcher would this, however slight, weigh in on the call of the pitches. More so in a subtle manner than an overt obvious one.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>After reading different baseball books through the years, including ones on umpires, the thought came to me of favortism by umpires for certain pitchers in relation to the calling of balls/strikes. If true, I wonder how many inflated strikeout totals came as a result of this possibility. They are, after all human, and would imagine their emotions must of got to them on certain occasions. If a like or dislike was established for a certain pitcher would this, however slight, weigh in on the call of the pitches. More so in a subtle manner than an overt obvious one. >>

There's quite a few things that can influence the umpire's call. The handedness of the batter, how well the catcher caught/framed it, etc.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>After reading different baseball books through the years, including ones on umpires, the thought came to me of favortism by umpires for certain pitchers in relation to the calling of balls/strikes. If true, I wonder how many inflated strikeout totals came as a result of this possibility. They are, after all human, and would imagine their emotions must of got to them on certain occasions. If a like or dislike was established for a certain pitcher would this, however slight, weigh in on the call of the pitches. More so in a subtle manner than an overt obvious one. >>

There's quite a few things that can influence the umpire's call. The handedness of the batter, how well the catcher caught/framed it, etc. >>

Yes, as well as different strike zone interpetations by different umpires. Hopefully a scanner with uniform settings equal for all, devoid of the personality issues will be a much fairer/equal way for all concerned. Anything thats more accurate would be a plus for the sport. Get it right.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Complaints about bad calls have been part of the game since its creation. If you get a strike calling robot, they'll just say the robot missed the call/someone programmed it with a home team advantage, or some other nonsense.
    As was stated here by others, I'm OK with it in its current incarnation except for the home plate thing. That said, it does slow the game down, and it also makes me wonder if the officials will come to use replay more as a crutch in the future.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012