Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Heritage today?

So is everyone getting their mouse buttons warmed up for the auctions?

Comments

• Options
    I have my eye on a piece for my 12 Caesars set, we'll see what happens
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I acquired a piece privately for 1/4th of a lesser example from the Greek sale. I'll be bidding on the Roman aurei but some are already massively overpriced... so we'll see how it goes. I'm attending the auction in person and will give a mini-report on it after (little/no cell reception within the bidding room for me).
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    I know zip about ancients, but I find it interesting that most of these beautiful gold coins are not certified? I guess these collectors are really not concerned about slab'bage??
  • Options
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I won the brockage Otho image

imageimage

poor Otho wasn't around very long, I can't imagine too many of his denarii got stuck in the minting process that survive to this day, I'd been looking for months for an Otho with character and this is hard to beat

cheap too, I threw a nuclear bid at it
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Didn't happen without a pic.

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I won the brockage Otho image >>

Nicely done! I won only a single lot, and was priced out of all of the aurei, unfortunately (they went for substantial premiums over what any comparable examples have sold for previously). Prices relaxed considerably after the aurei but the Colosseum sestertius sold for $106K all in, quite late in the auction.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I won the brockage Otho image

imageimage

>>

Congratulations!
    That piece has a lot going for it.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I acquired a piece privately for 1/4th of a lesser example from the Greek sale. I'll be bidding on the Roman aurei but some are already massively overpriced... >>

Could it be that the market has moved (and continues to move) on these? Maybe those buyers are trying to get ahead of the new prices???
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of the Heritage prices a bit fancy - IMO great for the seller . I think the venue has a lot to do with it.

On a slightly different tact, I felt that the late Victorian proof silver and gold were off the hook and I am still in utter disbelief at the prices that Gothics continue to fetch - the very serious collectors I know steer clear of the like and yet they bring big prices. 10k for a "62" Gothic off the cliff as an example. 8, 10, 12, 15k for the '87 and '93 proofs equally bizarre. Somewhere, somehow these prices have been supported of late and yet I am still unconvinced of "true" collector demand and almost see a small scale analogy to the sales of US Gold eagles, SAEs, HOF commemoratives, and the like where sales are there but are evidently in the hands of investors (flippers?)....
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was there both Thurs. and Fri. nite . The few dealers and bidders that were there could
    not believe the high prices overall. About 80-90 % of the lots went to the book or internet
    bidders. When the Alex the Great pieces came up the bidder in front of me just shook his
    head and muttered " I can't pay next years prices" and left after 20+ lots.