Home U.S. Coin Forum

PayPal Raising Limit for Signature Confirmation to $750 (from $250)

CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
Effective May 15, 2014.

At least according to a Policy Update e-mail I received from them today.

FYI.

Comments

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Should make for some interesting transactions when $700 coins are left in an outside mailbox in a not so nice hood.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Previous thread exists but I didn't post

The limit is well above some generic gold coins.

I'd still use sig conf on $200 and above.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    I am thinking $500.
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pardon my ignorance, but isn't that what insured mail does? I've always used the premise that insured mail will stand the test of receipt by the buyer since they must also sign?
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paypal wants it online

The blue label insurance gets a signature if they follow procedures, but it doesn't show online.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>Pardon my ignorance, but isn't that what insured mail does? I've always used the premise that insured mail will stand the test of receipt by the buyer since they must also sign? >>

If one of your "insured over $250 but no signature confirmation" packages ever goes missing and the buyer files a claim with PayPal, you'll find your premise to be flawed. Just a heads up. image
  • NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is well above some generic gold coins.

I'd still use sig conf on $200 and above. >>

I definitely agree with this. I can see this opening a whole big can of worms with a flood of 'never received' items from 'those' ebayers who want something for nothing. Now, they can b*tch about much more expensive coins, and we all know ebay gives virtually no protection to sellers as it is. Thanks, Paypal, for making it even MORE difficult to be a seller on ebay.
    I'll come up with something.
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This is well above some generic gold coins.

I'd still use sig conf on $200 and above. >>

I definitely agree with this. I can see this opening a whole big can of worms with a flood of 'never received' items from 'those' ebayers who want something for nothing. Now, they can b*tch about much more expensive coins, and we all know ebay gives virtually no protection to sellers as it is. Thanks, Paypal, for making it even MORE difficult to be a seller on ebay. >>

I don't think there's anything stopping a seller from adding Sig Confirmation to any package.
    This would seem to be a win for sellers as they will get Seller Protection w/o having to pay extra
    on packages between $250 and $750.
    I'll continue to abide by PayPal's policies regarding tracking/confirmation/etc. for all payments received through their system but will not pay extra for services PayPal does not require. If buyers aren't happy with the protection that PayPal affords them, they are always welcome to contact me directly to work out mutually agreeable payment/shipping terms.
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think there's anything stopping a seller from adding Sig Confirmation to any package. This would seem to be a win for sellers as they will get Seller Protection w/o having to pay extra on packages between $250 and $750. >>

If a seller did that without insurance and it got lost in the mail so it's never signed for as delivered, would paypal seller protection cover the loss?
    Ed

<< <i>If a seller did that without insurance and it got lost in the mail so it's never signed for as delivered, would paypal seller protection cover the loss? >>

Not a chance.
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't think there's anything stopping a seller from adding Sig Confirmation to any package. This would seem to be a win for sellers as they will get Seller Protection w/o having to pay extra on packages between $250 and $750. >>

If a seller did that without insurance and it got lost in the mail so it's never signed for as delivered, would paypal seller protection cover the loss? >>

No, seller protection and postal insurance are not related. The concept behind the former is that if you
    follow the PayPal guidelines, and the PO indicates the package was delivered, you won't be out the
    money if the buyer claims he/she did not receive it. If the PO loses the package, on the other hand,
    you'd better have insurance or you are out of luck.

<< <i>

<< <i>Pardon my ignorance, but isn't that what insured mail does? I've always used the premise that insured mail will stand the test of receipt by the buyer since they must also sign? >>

If one of your "insured over $250 but no signature confirmation" packages ever goes missing and the buyer files a claim with PayPal, you'll find your premise to be flawed. Just a heads up. image >>

Why? Insured parcels still require signatures and I've been told that USPS employees handle insured parcels with great care since they are trackable and have potentially greater value putting the PO at greater risk. That's why it costs more to send insured --
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My crystal ball says: expect quite a few more claims on standard tracking packages valued between $200-700.

I use sig conf to strangers above $150. Never have had a problem in 10 years, knock on wood.

Have a nice day

• << <i>

<< <i>

If one of your "insured over $250 but no signature confirmation" packages ever goes missing and the buyer files a claim with PayPal, you'll find your premise to be flawed. Just a heads up. image >>

Why? >>

The post immediately below your first post holds your answer. image
    I've had ~4 claims or so in the past 10 years where my shipment was "not received" and the USPS covered those losses since they can track signatures. I suppose I never requested a refund through PP for these or felt a need to.

Are you saying you don't insure and PP will still cover the amount of $250 - $750 with Sig Conf? If true, it will save a few $ in insurance and I won't argue.

• << <i>Are you saying you don't insure and PP will still cover the amount of $250 - $750 with Sig Conf? >>

If you don't insure and Signature Confirmation shows delivery, a buyer who files a claim through PayPal will lose the claim. If you insure but don't use Signature Confirmation and the buyer files a claim of non-receipt through PayPal, you will lose the claim even if he signs for the shipment.
    Thanks for the clarification!
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    buyers will take the hit on this change. It is not rare for usps to show delivery confirmation complete yet the buyer never got the item.

and yes, insurance signature does not meet the ebay/paypal requirement for signature confirmation. As stated one must be able to confirm signature or delivery (as applicable) using a tracking number at the usps (or other shipper) website. Usps electronic return receipt does meet the requirements for a signature, is purchased at the counter and does not require a usps form.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic and long overdue. Such a waste for $250.

Figures that I just sent out 20 packages for over $400 but less then $600 w/Sig Conf...
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Should make for some interesting transactions when $700 coins are left in an outside mailbox in a not so nice hood. >>

If insured someone still has to sign.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it sounds like some sellers will have think (Do I feel lucky today or not.) when they go to print lables.image
    I have used that service a lot times for items less than the current $250.00. And yes I have also sent items worth more an not had it signed for.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Should make for some interesting transactions when $700 coins are left in an outside mailbox in a not so nice hood. >>

If insured someone still has to sign. >>

And this probably explains ebay's logic behind the change. While the insurance signature does not satisfy a requirement for a signature, it will reduce non-signature confirmation deliveries that get marked as "delivered" without actually being delivered.

Previously, buyers could care less if the seller bought shipping insurance, they were covered by buyer protection that required an ebay acceptable delivery signature for those items over $250 which required actually putting the shipment in the buyer's hands. Now buyers of exensive items up to $750 value will be hoping for a required insurance signature to make sure the mailman actually delivers such items. As before, insurance protects the seller and it is in the seller's best interest to insure. Insurance means nothing in an ebay/paypal claim for non-delivery. It does however, allow a seller to get reimbursement from usps for non-delivered items that were refunded to a buyer by ebay or paypal.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file