Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Lokris Opuntii Stater

I acquired this coin a few months ago but haven't posted it yet. I've always admired the staters from Lokris but hadn't found one which "spoke" to me like this one. My pictures capture the details but fail to show how lustrous the surfaces are. One of these days, I'm hoping 3D photography will be more readily available to truly share what coins look like in-hand.

Lokris, Lokri Opuntii. Silver Stater (12.0 g), ca. 350-340 BC. Head of Demeter right, wearing wreath of grain ears, single-pendant earring and necklace. Reverse: Ajax advancing right, holding sword and shield; on inside of shield, palmette and griffin springing right; on ground below, broken spear. BCD Lokris-Phokis 457.4 (this coin); Nanteuil 885 (same obv. die). Lustrous and well struck in high relief. Well detailed, Superb Extremely Fine, and among the finest known. Ex BCD Collection (NAC, 8 October 2010), 457.4.

Here's a historical writeup of the type, pieced together from a number of different historical sources and auction descriptions:

Opus was the main city of eastern Lokris, which was located to the north of Boeotia stretching to the coast opposite Euboea; it was separated by Phokis and Doris from western Lokris, which was on the northern coast of the Gulf of Corinth. It was a small, infertile territory, surrounded by larger, more powerful states. The Lokrians made but a small impact in history, and why the somewhat obscure town of Opus in Lokris should have produced such a lovely and extensive coinage is uncertain: military expenses seem the most likely reason.

Seltman suggests that mercenaries returning home after the Peace of Antalkidas in 387 B.C. brought considerable amounts of silver with them. These coins, with Syracusian designs, represented their salary, thus providing the bullion and models for the coinage of their home city. It is likely that Lokris may have needed this new coinage to pay for its continual conflict with neighboring Phokis during the Third Sacred War.

There are some varying opinions on who is depicted on the obverse of these coins, ranging from Persephone, to Demeter, to Arethusa. It is clear, however, that the inspiration was the Syracusian Arethusa heads of Euainetos. The general consensus for this particular variety is that the head is of Demeter, the mother of Persephone.

The staters of Lokris are divided into two basic groups by the way that their reverse legends are executed: the earlier type has the legend divided on each side of the reverse, and the later without spacing.

The reverse depicts the hero “Ajax the Lesser”, son of Oileus, commander of the Lokrians in the Trojan War. The shield Ajax carries is particularly remarkable for having its decoration on the inside: there are some sculptural parallels for this but it is a very uncommon attribute.

The Lokrian Ajax plays an essential role in the Iliad. He often fought side by side with his namesake, Ajax the Great, son of Telamon and led a strong contingent of forty ships to Troy. He is described as small, nimble, and a great javelin thrower and was counted among the heroes of the Greeks. However, he was considered arrogant and conceited and because of this, he died by the wrath of the gods.

After the capturing of Troy, Cassandra, the prophetic daughter of the king of Troy, fled to the temple of Athena and embraced the statue of the goddess, pleading to her. Ajax the Lesser found her and, violating one of the core principals of ancient religion, dragged her from the temple, toppling the statue in the process. As punishment, during their return, Athena sent a major storm on the fleet of the Greeks, scattering the ships. Athena sank the ship of Ajax himself with a thunderbolt but he nevertheless was saved by managing to cling to a rock. He boasted that he had braved the wrath of the gods, but Poseidon, upon hearing this blatant display of hubris, split the rock with his trident, causing Ajax to drown. The rest of the Opuntians reached home with difficulty but safely.

Nevertheless, the faith of the Lokrians was so great in their national hero that whenever their army prepared for battle, one place was always left open for Ajax, whose spirit they believed would stand and fight with them. And, in remembrance, they annually honored their former leader by launching a ship fitted with black sails and laden with gifts, which they then set alight.

---

If anyone else has an example of the type, or other coins from Lokris, share them here!
Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection

Comments

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice post, and nice coin. Must. Not. Collect. Ancients. Yet. If I were to get into ancients, I'd consider Greek minor city-states. This stuff always interested me, even though reading The Iliad was boring for long stretches of the book.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, SE1795-

You suck.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    outstanding coin!

thanks for the write up!
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Stunning coin! I love the detail of the griffin on the inside of the shield.
  • Options
    simply amazing
    "among the finest known" really says it all

loved the write up and of course your excellent photography, thanks for sharing another piece of art in your collection image
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭
    Cool piece. I have one that's a pretty rough Fine or so. Still one of my favourites, probably my first "high relief" almost cup-shaped ancient coins.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    What unbelievable talent those Greeks possessed ~2500 to 2200 years ago.

Seeing these artistic gems gives one the perfect antithesis of what then became the Dark Ages. It truly took mankind a very long time to recapture their coinage zenith.