Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help identify this coin

A friend's friend emailed me these pictures and I have no clue as to what/where/when it is from. Any help would be appreciated.

Charlie

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roman, 2nd century.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    Trajan?
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 998 ✭✭✭
    What kind of value should I tell the owner this coin has? Does anyone have a better looking version of the coin and could post a picture?
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is, we can't read enough of the obverse or reverse lettering to give you a proper ID of it. I think the portrait is of a young, curly-topped Marcus Aurelius, as Caesar. The reverse depicts a standing figure of some kind. So the coin might look something like this one on Wildwinds But I can;t even read enough of the lettering to know that it's a Roman Imperial coin (which uses Latin script), rather than a Roman Provincial one (which are often in Greek script).

Unfortunately, as an "unidentified Roman", it's not going to be worth much. The coin dealers in my city sell them for $5 to $10 each.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    Maybe a young Carcalla 198-217 AD?
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was about to say Marcus Aurelius as Caesar, too.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.