Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

An idea that would boost the Roosevelt series.

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
If you have read these boards over the years, some of us have mentioned a redesign for the Roosevelt dime. I for one really could care less if it ever gets to that point since we can just add 2 new dimes every year to the set. I did notice looking at Wondercoins unreal quarter set, that the Mint started producing "S" mint circulation strike quarters. Now minting "S" circ dimes and a redesign are in no way in our control so those really are not up for discussion unless someone wants to pursue that avenue. Not that it would produce any interest in the series.

Also what would be a nice treat is if the Mint would sell rolls and bags of Roosevelt dimes, but I was told in person at the National ANA in Milwaukee a few years ago from the U.S. Mint Director that there was just no interest in anyone buying them, so they don't sell them.

I think it is due time that C.A.C. starts to grade Silver Roosevelt dimes. They grade the mercury dimes, Washington Quarters, Franklin Halves of the same era. Why not the silver Roosevelt Dimes to start?

What do we need to do to get C.A.C. to accept these? Lets get the ball rolling....

Paul.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the compliment Paul.

I agree with you that CAC should begin recognizing silver Roosies as well as 1938-1964 Jefferson Nickels. Let's not forget that they already recognize Mint State Ike dollars dated 1971-1978.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they need to just be done with the coin series all together and put something new in its place in addition to the other moderns that circulate and the ones that don't circulate. I don't know how much effect the 96W dime had on the series years ago, but that goes along with your "S" mint mark idea. I'm guessing no too much and what ever enthusiasm has since died down.
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the compliment Paul.

Wondercoin >>

Mitch, lets face it, for a set like that, it doesn't deserve it, it requires it!

Now, how do we go about getting those nice Guys over at C.A.C. to start "Green beaning" the Silver Roosies to start?

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to rain on your parade Paul, but I don't see how getting Roosies into CAC would make any difference here. The BIG Roosie guys here are going for top pop FB coins for set rankings. PCGS doesn't and never will give extra point value for CAC coins, so they don't help any in the rankings.

Also, there are many like myself that couldn't care less about stickers. We know nice coins when we see them, and don't need a sticker to tell us it's a nice coin.

<< <i>Not to rain on your parade Paul, but I don't see how getting Roosies into CAC would make any difference here. The BIG Roosie guys here are going for top pop FB coins for set rankings. PCGS doesn't and never will give extra point value for CAC coins, so they don't help any in the rankings.

Also, there are many like myself that couldn't care less about stickers. We know nice coins when we see them, and don't need a sticker to tell us it's a nice coin. >>

I'm talking about energizing the Roosevelt Dime series. Waiting for the series to be redesigned and the Government/Mint to do anything else with the series is a waste of time. I'm not talking about the registry point system either. I'm talking about being able to buy a PQ Roosevelt dime in the correct holder that it is in, whether it has FB or not. Alot of emphasis the last few years regarding some coins graded a second time by C.A.C. does make a coin worthy, otherwise that entire "Green Bean Phase" would have went out a long time ago.

BTW, I'm interested in quality high grade dimes, not necessarily something to fill in a whole. Therefore, if I were to purchase a dime in a MS68FB, and it has a C.A.C. sticker, then I may have a better chance of selling it at a later date.

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>> Therefore, if I were to purchase a dime in a MS68FB, and it has a C.A.C. sticker, then I may have a better chance of selling it at a later date. <<<

You're probably right there Paul. I'm not a fan of CAC, but a lot of people are. I could care less.....I buy the coin if I like it and need it. Some won't have a coin in their collection without the sticker.

To each his own.image

I think the Roosevelt Dime is here to stay...like the Lincoln cent. FDR was a very popular President and the whole "March of Dimes" thing keeps him on the dime......I think. Who knows!
    Unfortunately, we as Americans are in the stale "Dead Presidents" rut. When Ronald Reagan died, there was a group that tried vigorously to get his mug on the dime to replace Roosevelt. When the Lewis and Clark 2 year Nickel series was ending and they wanted to redsign the Nickel, the Virginia Legislation said "Wait a minute, we need the Nickel, it brings People to Monticello and we will lose money if we lose the Nickel, so they stopped the redesign of the Nickel. Washington is never leaving the quarter and neither is Kennedy when it comes to the Half. We have had the same Lincoln cent for over 100+ years.

What I'm saying is that if you think the dime is heading for a redesign, think again. It isn't and will not probably in our lifetime. Only if they do some sort of anniversary redesign like they done to all of the other coinage.

Dimeman, I really admire what you are trying to do with your dimes. Add to it what you like and what you can afford. Your dime collection could be so much better in so many ways. Good luck with your collections!

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    I am not a fan of CAC. A few years back a couple silver Roosevelt dimes made their way through the CAC system
    and actually got the green bean sticker. I owned one of them for about 2 minutes. I purchased it off e-bay and
    promptly sent it back to the seller. Even if CAC started grading Roosevelt's I doubt I would send any in.

Lets just face facts. The Roosevelt series will never be popular.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Lets just face facts. The Roosevelt series will never be popular."

Now you are scaring me me Nick with just how many Roosies you might be "squirreling away" during these "unpopular" times image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.