Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Pope John VII 705-707 AD Papal Medal. Info needed.

JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hey guys. Here is a Pope John VII medal from the restitution series. Does anyone have any info from CNORP they could share as I do not have a copy?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance guys.
Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Comments

• Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Modesti dates the large series of restitutions which this belongs to to the second half of the 16th century, noting that they belong to the period "certainly after the close of the Council of Trent (1545-1563)". Little is known about the origins of the series. While originally cast, your piece looks to be a later aftercast with significant loss of detail.
  • Options
    Thanks Joe.
    Was there a period when these were re-cast or was it unique to each piece ?
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Aftercasts can be made from any example of a medal, so there's no real way to pin down when a particular aftercast was made.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Aftercasts can be made from any example of a medal, so there's no real way to pin down when a particular aftercast was made. >>

Can't add much to what Joe said except this medal is pretty typical, both in condition and detail, of what seems to be normally encountered for these. The first volume of CNORP has a number of tables and some rather terse description of the various restitution series, but doesn't get into much detail at all before Martin V, the traditional/typical starting point for Papal medal collectors. So, I only have a representative handful of these that I've picked up, usually cheap, along the way for various popes and most look like your medal. It would be interesting to see a more or less complete run of these, but not something I've pursued.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    Thanks for the info guys.
    This piece was very inexpensive and it still rates high on the coolness factor.
    Appreciate the help.