Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Reale or not? Sorry, iPhone pics (this title does not have a spelling error)

Don't see a seam and I don't think it's cast but I can't tell which is why I'm asking. Weighs 5.5 grams which is between the one real - 3.4335 and the 2 reales - 6.867. The coat of arms looks wrong and the devices in the octolobe look wrong. But still I will cross my fingers and ask those more experienced than I. Thanks, it does appear to be silver but I don't have a way to test it. It's not magnetic.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H.L. Mencken

Comments

• Options
    for what I imagine to be some sort of medieval hammered coin the design is too strong and perfect in my opinion
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks very much like a cast fake to me.

You're right- the devices look strange, too.

Then again, a lot of cobs were produced under pretty primitive conditions, and I'll be the first to confess I don't know a whole lot about them.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a cast counterfeit to me, too.
  • Options
    I wasn't sure, still not sure but for $3 I figured I could risk it.
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H.L. Mencken
  • Options
    the front side looks genuine, the cross side seems a little suspect (the center seems a little too bold/well-struck). For one, I'm thinking the SPanish cob reales had lions and castles in the four corners of the cross, not those flowery type things. Then again, as mentioned above, since native Indians struck these, the workmanship could easily have been "off"
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 bux, huh?

Can't possibly lose, at that price.

Even as a fake, it's intriguing enough to be worth that much.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    looks like a clipped 2 escudo from 1715 - Philip V shield - but these were made from gold 917 /1000, not silver.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The devices inside the cross are supposed to be fleur-de-lys, which one sees on gold cobs, not silver cobs.

<< <i> (this title does not have a spelling error) >>

Well, technically it does. As was just recently pointed out by a frustrated Spanish student on another forum, "Real" is singular; "reales" is plural. "Reale" does not exist as a Spanish (or English) word, no matter how many eBay sellers persist in using it.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)