Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

DIESEL MOLITOR PSA 10 BUMPAGE & WHITE WHALE ADDITION

This has easily been my best week ever with cards-- and therefore one of my happiest weeks ever...

A couple weeks back we were all discussing a Molitor RC 10 that commanded an impressive $8100 on the bay; at the time, a photo of my 9 was posted, which I bought years ago after searching through so very many examples that had the usual flaws from which the card suffers. Anyways, some of my fellow collectors here opined that they thought my 9 was stronger than the 10. I concurred. I subsequently sent it in for review, and...

1 31322768 GEM MINT 10 1978 TOPPS 707 ROOKIE SHORTSTOPS Card

Needless to say: BLAM!

A great feeling when the pros agree with your eye.

I don't have it in hand yet, but here is a scan of the card in its former holder...

Then there is this crown jewel below. Of all the cards I've ever hunted down, this one has taken the longest to find. So in that respect it was a whale. I did very thorough research on it, and believe its current upward trend will only accelerate over time. Mr. Orlando's amazing coffee table book of the Top 250 Sportscards pegs it at #9. For me it's even higher. Just hardly ever comes up.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet! I remember saying back in that aforementioned thread that your 9 was the stronger example of the two. Nice work!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Those are fabulous cards!! Congratulation!
  • Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Sweetness Matt!! You have had an incredible collecting week. I'd love to see them all!

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WOW MATT! Thats a HR on the Molitor Rookie. CONGRATS!!!!!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Sweetness Matt!! You have had an incredible collecting week >>

+1 Congrats! Lots of threads this week about collectors harpooning whales. Great to see!
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the bump!!
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems well-deserved
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    nice card , more support for the current PSA business model and the proliferation of 10's being given out these days
  • Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭
    Incredible bump! Well done. That CJ Jackson is a beauty, congratulations!
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Despite the occasional watershed card like the PSA 10 Ryan, I actually don't see 10s appearing with frequency for vintage through 1970's key cards. In fact I've seen buddies submit for review many major cards that would not look out of place (to the naked eye at least) in 10 holders; time and again they receive zero upgrades to the 10 tier.

On a related note, I think collectors by and large have an even higher standard for what is GEM MT than the technical guidelines permit. Hence the extant 10s that really do pass muster with the majority of collectors who "buy the card" really soar, as compared to the weaker 10s. Within any grade there's definitely a bandwidth, though for me the top grades should have the narrowest bandwidth by far.

• Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    That is so great, congratulations!!!!
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    bbuckner22bbuckner22 Posts: 1,028

<< <i>1 31322768 GEM MINT 10 1978 TOPPS 707 ROOKIE SHORTSTOPS Card >>

Ding, ding, we have a winner! Congrats!
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    Not horrible image
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Matt, just wanted to say I followed the links in your sig and enjoyed browsing your galleries. Well done!
  • Options
    ergoismergoism Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    Matt, that is outstanding. Well done. Are you keeping it in the collection or realizing your gains and buying more stuff?
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ergo,

I was just agonizing over that very decision.

I am going to sell it to reduce my cost basis on both the 52 Mantle 4.5 and the Shoeless CJ. It essentially allows me to keep both my 1956 Topps Mantle PSA 8, which has sick centering, and my e90-2 Wagner (which is a total combined PSA & SGC pop of only 105 in all grades, and that's not even counting crackouts and crossovers).

I'd love to keep all three, especially since the Molitor/Trammell is such a legit gem mint card, but something's gotta go, and the Honus represents true rarity, which attracts me most. Even at a 3.5 grade it's higher than 77% of the extant 105 examples, so I gotta go with a Honus portrait and The Mick. Very, very hard call though. I can just see a high end example of the e90-2 Honus really breaking out at a catalog AH sometime down the line, and then that card would get its long due props; and then, in turn, I'd kick myself for having sold it. So basically someone on ebay is gonna wind up with perhaps the best Molly/Trammell around. That said I will play the Mega Millions today in hopes of keeping it.