Options

Don't like it

Instant replay in baseball.

Comments

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    get over it
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>get over it >>

Or better yet as I have.....quit watching it.
  • Options
    Whats wrong with getting calls right, that were wrong on the field? Id love to hear your explanation for this one.
    What I Collect:

• Options

<< <i>Whats wrong with getting calls right, that were wrong on the field? Id love to hear your explanation for this one. >>

Baseball itself is a game of errors. So much so that there is a spot for them on the scoreboard. The best pitchers miss the strike zone on a regular basis and of course the best hitters fail to hit cleanly two thirds of the time.

Yet, yet, we expect precision and infallibility on the part of the officials. So much so that the sharpest umpires in the game are no longer trusted to make the proper calls.

Enjoy the perfection if you like, I will pass.
  • Options
    But errors by players are part of the game and happen. Errors by umpires are not part of the game. There is no spot on the scoreboard for errors by umpires. It is one spot in the game, that errors can be corrected, and should be corrected when possible. With bad calls taken out of the game, there are no longer lame excuses by players saying umpires were the reason why they lost the game. Now the players win or lose based on what they actually do on the field. Not because of some mistake an umpire made on a call because he didnt see it correctly the first time.
    What I Collect:

• Options

<< <i>Errors by umpires are not part of the game. >>

They have been since the earliest days of baseball. In the brave new world of digital accuracy, the umps are now near extinction. OK by me but fortunately we still get to choose our entertainment.

• Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>But errors by players are part of the game and happen. Errors by umpires are not part of the game. There is no spot on the scoreboard for errors by umpires. It is one spot in the game, that errors can be corrected, and should be corrected when possible. With bad calls taken out of the game, there are no longer lame excuses by players saying umpires were the reason why they lost the game. Now the players win or lose based on what they actually do on the field. Not because of some mistake an umpire made on a call because he didnt see it correctly the first time. >>

The game seemed to be doing pretty damn good for a few years before MLB tried copying the NFL.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same things were said about instant replay when they introduced it in the NFL. In five years, no one will think anything of it. Those who appreciate the beauty of the game of baseball will still enjoy watching it. Those who like to complain will continue to complain.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instant replay is a good thing.

Getting it wrong should be reduced.

It's that simple. If you don't like it don't watch.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

<< <i>Same things were said about instant replay when they introduced it in the NFL. In five years, no one will think anything of it. >>

On the little NFL that I watch now, I find the replays and the associated discussion as to whether a flag will be thrown or not to be another distraction to what once was my favorite sport.

My vote does not matter though and that is fine as I am not the consumer that the advertisers seek.

Younger viewers are more pliable and will watch whatever the TV provides. But will they, being used to mile a minute gaming and instant texting, anything that slows down the already molasses-like flow of MLB and NFL may place these sports on the extinct list.