Home U.S. Coin Forum

Ebay seller question

ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just posted some stuff on Ebay less than an hour ago, and already I'm getting an offer to end one auction early. The coin currently has no bids. What would you do? I know you cannot do the transaction outside of Ebat, not sure if that's what is being done here.

Oh, and the Ebay ID is ishopcoinshowsforyou; thought I remember some discussion about that name some time back, but couldn't find it in the search results.

Comments

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    I have found that ending auctions early generally lead to problems.

On fixed price lisitngs, I have occasionally dropped the ask price on Ebay if the price worked for us both.
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think your gut is already telling you what to do.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whenever I get offers to end early I politely decline and then take a closer look at what I'm selling.

Variety, error, other tell that this astute buyer saw that you perhaps missed.

You could revise the listing to a buy it now for the buyer after agreeing to a price.

Got a link?

bob

PS: I recognize that seller's ID for some reason as well.
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), [email protected]
  • ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My gut did say no, now that the coin actually has a bid so that reinforces the answer. I already said no once, then he upped his offer. Going to say no again. Thanks for the responses!
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have sold to this guy in the past. He like to make lowball offers, but he is legit.
  • coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭
    It's not against the rules for someone to ask you to add a buy it now option.
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I assume you have a typo? I sold to "ishopcoinshows4you".
  • bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought that the ebay buyer in question was a member here at one time.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have completed many successful ebay sales after a buyer contacted me and asked if I would change the auction to a BIN at a price I found acceptable. Sometimes price negotiation is involved and I always require immediate payment. Many buyer's will throw their best offer at you this way and many times it is a good offer. Some buyers just do not like having their funds tied up in an auction for days that they eventually do not win - it requires them to hold off bidding or buying something else that comes along. These type buyers are basically throwing out their highest bid in an effort to not drag things out.

Note that once an auction has a bid, it cannot be revised to a buy it now. For this reason, new auctions with zero bids will be the ones to attract a request for a buy it now revision.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not end an auction early for anyone. If it does not sell or you end it later on for some other reason you may be able to go back to him.

However, If his offer is so wonderful or if he has any money then why is he so afraid to bid in the auction? I think it is a total lack of class for someone to request an ebay seller to end an auction early. These people trying to but into my auction hack me off and I don't want their business. Its like they are broadcasting "hey guy I am a broke bum without class who wants to lowball you and get your coin cheap so why not end your auction." They can bug off as far as I am concerned - they are like someone trying to horn in on a deal a dealer is busy with at a show.

Answer him if you want, I would not even answer him or dignify his lack of class with a response.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    If the buyer thought he could get it cheaper by bidding and winning the auction, do you think he'd be asking you to end the auction and sell to him now?

<< <i>You can always cancel a listing with bids and relist with a BIN. I've seen sellers do it before. >>

yes, but you will pay ebay fees on the bid amount when you cancel.

<< <i>I would not end an auction early for anyone. If it does not sell or you end it later on for some other reason you may be able to go back to him.

However, If his offer is so wonderful or if he has any money then why is he so afraid to bid in the auction? I think it is a total lack of class for someone to request an ebay seller to end an auction early. These people trying to but into my auction hack me off and I don't want their business. Its like they are broadcasting "hey guy I am a broke bum without class who wants to lowball you and get your coin cheap so why not end your auction." They can bug off as far as I am concerned - they are like someone trying to horn in on a deal a dealer is busy with at a show. >>

How is making an offer on an ebay item different than making an offer for a coin at a dealer table or at a B&M?

• mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    Every time I've had a buyer ask me to add a Buy It Now price to an auction, I've declined. And every time, the item has sold for more than the Buy It Now price the buyer wanted me to sell for. But then again, that's just me.

<< <i>Every time I've had a buyer ask me to add a Buy It Now price to an auction, I've declined. And every time, the item has sold for more than the Buy It Now price the buyer wanted me to sell for. But then again, that's just me. >>

Usually the case, but occasionally a seller will welcome the quick sale and immediate payment. It also gives the seller control over who they do business with. Any request for me to conclude a quick sale is immediately followed by my checking the potential buyer's track record. In an auction I'm pretty much at the mercy of any buyer who is free to pay when they want to or not pay at all.

• TireKickerTireKicker Posts: 870 ✭✭
    Please send a link to the listing by PM.

In addition, I would suggest posting it on the BST board. The more people who see the coin, the better chance you will get a higher winning bid.

Also it might not hurt to throw a picture up here and ask if there is something that adds value to the coin such as a variety...etc

Just my 2 centsimage
    All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bid on this one from him....but I did not win

...if I were to sell a coin on eBay and somebody asked me to end early, I would immediately spend some time looking very closely at that coin to find out why they want it so badly. Then, I would either re-list as BIN for what it's newfound worth may be, or accept an offer from dude, or let it ride at auction image

Erik
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never end an auction early and usually say so in the listing itself. It is not fair to the other bidders and you are most likely shortchanging yourself when you do. One of your regular customers may get a bit irked if he was planning a bid and then the coin quickly sold to smoeone else. Also a possible new customer may shun your auctions after smoething like this is done. When I put a coin up for auction I am committed to the complete the process, unless a listing error was found or smoe other circumstance occurred where the auction cannot be completed.

I decided to place a nuclear snipe bid once on a variety that a well known dealer missed. Smoe other bidder emailed him and asked him to end the auction early and sell the coin to him at his current bid. (Which was about 8% of the coins value). The dealer responded that he would not end the auction early even if the person that asked him to would have offered him thousands of dollars for the coin because it would not be fair to the other bidders. I feel the exact same way. (I wound up purchasing this coin for about $217). I now have the utmost respect for this dealer even though I do not purchase from him often. JMHO

Bob
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fair is fair. Unfortunately not every one sees an item in a 1 , 3, 5, 7 or even 10 day auction, especially on ebay.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Every time I've had a buyer ask me to add a Buy It Now price to an auction, I've declined. And every time, the item has sold for more than the Buy It Now price the buyer wanted me to sell for. But then again, that's just me. >>

That's my experience. Typically I know I have something good when I get a few offers. For a recent one, I got multiple $100-$150 offers (some even accompanied by text telling me how strong the offer was). The piece sold at auction for $720. Bar none, I don't take offers on items listed for auction.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file