Home U.S. Coin Forum

Ebay buyer interaction...a first for me like this

RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
Gotta love Ebay buyers...

I had several coins for sale for $99. One sold last night. Shipped it out first thing this am. I sent my usual note to the buyer thanking him for the sale and noted to please leave me pos FB when he gets the coin and I'll quickly do the same. Just as I've done for years.

I know that the debate on who leaves FB first has been discussed here countless times, but this is how I've done it for years and have never had any issues.

I then get a somewhat terse note explaining that he's done his part so he should get post FB and if I do mine I'll get same. I told him that while he seems like a great buyer that I've had buyers pay and then return items which they damaged and or were incomplete which is why I generally wait for FB to be left before doing same. I also pointed out my long history of leaving great buyer feedback and my 100% pos FB after years of selling. I then left him pos. FB immediately.

Since yesterday, I dropped the price of the coins $10 to speed up sales. No biggie I thought, like countless sellers I adjust prices depending on sales. So, now I get another terse note saying that he's not happy that I dropped the price $10 after he bought and "what's up with that?". Of course, I'm thinking that this is exactly why I don't leave FB until it's left by the buyer for me.

So, I refunded him $15 w/a note telling him that now he got the lowest price coin. Hopefully this will make him happy.

Ebay - the fun never ends.
Land of the Free because of the Brave!

Comments

• << <i>Hopefully this will make him happy. >>

Good luck. People like that aren't happy unless they're not happy.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks! I'll be really ticked if this is my first neg - ever.

I very carefully packaged and shipped the coin w/in hours of the sale. It's exactly as advertised. What more can I do? Good lord.
    I just got this note:

Guess he's happy. Looks like it was $15 well spent....

R-,that was so nice of you.I was just busting your chops.Wow,that has never happened before.Thank you so much."
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will never figure out why sellers ask for FB at all. You can't leave negative FB for a buyer, and eBay reminds them to leave FB for you after a set time.

Too many cans of worms have been opened by sellers asking for FB. If it ticks even one buyer off, is it worth the trouble?

<< <i>I will never figure out why sellers ask for FB at all. You can't leave negative FB for a buyer, and eBay reminds them to leave FB for you after a set time.

Too many cans of worms have been opened by sellers asking for FB. If it ticks even one buyer off, is it worth the trouble? >>

Primarily because of the benefits of 5/5 DSRs.

I didn't mean to rehash the who leaves FB for whom first debate, I just though that this was so ironic - i.e., precisely why I generally wait until FB is left for me. Also, such an odd email from the buyer. Certainly didn't seem like he was joking at all. In any case, the refund clearly made him happy. $15 very well spent.

That said, this the first buyer that has ever commented in the 9 years that I've been selling. Perhaps you're right and I'll have to think about not mentioning it at all.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feedback is next to meaningless these days anyways.

Good buyers who are burned and leave subsequent righteous negative feedback are seeing that feedback reverse by eBay for nonsensical reasons.

Good sellers can't leave negative feedback for horrific buyers.

What I look for now is how long the member has been on eBay along with quantity of feedback and return policy.

peacockcoins

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 100% positive Feedback. I generally leave feedback either right after I'm paid (the Buyer has done everything I've asked, bought and paid) and I remind Buyers that they can return anything for any reason. I never beg for positive Feedback. I'd rather sell coins on a corner than stoop to worrying about making E-Bay happy.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.

• << <i>Feedback is next to meaningless these days anyways. >>

This is pretty much where it's gotten to.
  • When I sell on ebay I simply let the buyer know the coin is in the mail and provide a tracking #

Once the return period has elapsed I leave positive FB regardless. Keeps it simple.
  • pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I totally agree with your logic but I never say a word, easy way to open a can of worms as mentioned.

I sell on ebay, you pay, I ship, you get the tracking number. Don't like it, send it back for prompt refund. Leave feedback or skip it, I don't care, I may do the same. I am not a big fan of back and forth emails. Over the years I have had a few want a few bucks back, I do it and move on. Some buyers are high maintance. Just the cost of doing business.

I have dinged a few on DSR's when earned and got some tacky emails from the sellers.

Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Feedback is next to meaningless these days anyways. >>

What he said.
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just got this note:

Guess he's happy. Looks like it was $15 well spent....

R-,that was so nice of you.I was just busting your chops.Wow,that has never happened before.Thank you so much." >>

that's one of the many problems with words on a screen. hard to tell when someone is just poking fun/making a joke or is one sentence away from appearing to be a nincompoop.

i've tried to find a master decoder ring but as of yet, i have not. image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• << <i>

What he said. >>

Here we have a seller who, from all appearances, is the kind of seller you'd want to encounter on eBay. And he feels that he has to give a buyer a $15 refund for- well, not anything to do with the item he sold, but for an entirely different item. Just to try to protect himself from negative feedback or low DSRs. How much more broke does feedback get than this?

Oh, yeah- what do you suppose the result would have been, had the seller listed another similar item for $10 more and asked the buyer to pay an additional $15?

<< <i> And he feels that he has to give a buyer a $15 refund for- well, not anything to do with the item he sold, but for an entirely different item. Just to try to protect himself from negative feedback or low DSRs. >>

Ebay sucks. They want to turn the site into Neiman Marcus service with Costco prices. Easy for them as they have not a dime invested in inventory.

My Ebay sales are still significant, but down 85% from the halcyon days. The last decade has taught us nothing if not that the business world rapidly evolves and if you happen to not be federally or state supported (directly or indirectly), you are most likely in for some hard times.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's quite important to seller's who get 20% off their ebay fees. It is motivation to be a good seller.

And, it carries weight with buyers. You gonna buy from a seller with 2 negs in the last month?

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

<< <i>And, it carries weight with buyers. You gonna buy from a seller with 2 negs in the last month? >>

Sure! Apmex has 27 in the last 30 days. image
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>And, it carries weight with buyers. You gonna buy from a seller with 2 negs in the last month? >>

Sure! Apmex has 27 in the last 30 days. image >>

APMEX is a good exception to the rule.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file