Home Sports Talk
Options

Team in this town is paying Miguel Cabrera $248,000,000!

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
say what you will. I have no answers for this.

[/IMG] image

Comments

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Since when have Cabrera and his team been playing in Manila?
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not the tigers and Cabrera's job to fix Detroit.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    Hey! I resemble that remark!
  • Options

<< <i>Since when have Cabrera and his team been playing in Manila? >>

My mistake on the second (now removed) image. Manila has the better skyline.
  • Options

<< <i>It's not the tigers and Cabrera's job to fix Detroit. >>

Agree. Perhaps it is time for MLB to stop feeding at the trough of local tax revenue as well!
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    I know he like most all of us have been told to "go to hell!" and look what happens when he tries...I mean where was he supposed to go? image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The City of Detroit did that to themselves with the help ofcourse from the United States Goverment and some of their stupid law/immigration policies

• Options

<< <i>The City of Detroit did that to themselves with the help ofcourse from the United States Goverment and some of their stupid law/immigration policies >>

Not sure about the immigration part (regarding Detroit), but agree with the rest.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The City of Detroit did that to themselves with the help ofcourse from the United States Goverment and some of their stupid law/immigration policies >>

Not sure about the immigration part (regarding Detroit), but agree with the rest. >>

What I meant is the care packages the US Goverment gives to illegal aliens, Im sure you agree with that?
  • Options
    Not really. It's been 50 years of corrupt politicians who couldn't help but help themselves to "all dat cheddah" along with outsourcing the auto companies to other countries.... Two of the top 5 cities to live in in the 1950s were Detroit and Flint. For the past 20+ years those cities have been among the bottom 5 in the country.....
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So only owners from wealthy cities should be able to offer long-term lucrative contracts?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Not really. It's been 50 years of corrupt politicians who couldn't help but help themselves to "all dat cheddah" along with outsourcing the auto companies to other countries.... Two of the top 5 cities to live in in the 1950s were Detroit and Flint. For the past 20+ years those cities have been among the bottom 5 in the country..... >>

The corrupt politicians yes no doubt, but the auto industry is/was not the only game in town although Im sure it was a huge part of it and I didnt know it was outsourced like you just said.

As far as my point goes I know this isnt a politics thread but let me just say what I was reffering too could have saved millions upon millions if it was stopped, I mean geezuz if a US city is on the verge of bankruptcy then cuts need to be made and I think the millions dumped on illegals should have been the first step.
  • Options

<< <i>So only owners from wealthy cities should be able to offer long-term lucrative contracts? >>

63% of Comerica Park in Detroit was publicly funded. No issue with Mike Illitch or any other billionaire cutting checks with as many zero's as desired as long as it is out of their own checking accounts. Don't do it with tax dollars though.

Ironic to suck the few extra dollars out of this ravaged city to pay these Roid induced crybabies.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seeing photographs of Detroit as it exists in reality simply offers a view of what is already present in many cities in the USA and what other cities in the USA can look forward to in the future as USA society and the people living in the country morph from a mind set of independence, hard work and self sufficiency to dependence and cradle to grave nanny state.

Equal opportunity is great.

Equal outcome [based on the notion of "fairness" and ignoring the vast differences in the amount of "input" contributed by individuals] is a disaster that flies in the face of basic human nature. All is does is insure equal misery for all [except those who are our masters].
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    And the OP loves turning a Sports Talk forum into another thinly veiled political thread...

Detroit's woes didn't start in 2009. Cracks were forming since the 60's. Political agendists chose the last five years to turn it into a political flashpoint. Disaster happens when a one industry town develops a habit for producing a sub standard product.

I don't care for any of Detroit's sports teams but I give lots of credit to the Tigers ownership for willing to spend to stay competitive. They chose not to take the "we're a poor team playing in a poor city so please feel sorry for us while we have no intention to be competitive" route some other MLB teams relish. Oakland A's I'm looking at you.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

<< <i> and the people living in the country morph from a mind set of independence, hard work and self sufficiency to dependence and cradle to grave nanny state. >>

Agree 100%. Important to also note the intentional redistribution of wealth which heads up hill, not down.

Stadium in question was mostly funded by taxpayers. Not the billionaire owner. That is insidious.

ACA is not a gift to the poor as much as the wealthy medical community. It only insures that every patient is a profit center and nothing gets written off. Too bad for the schmuck in the middle that has to pay for his care, his families care, his neighbors care and everyone over 65's care.

Fortunately 98% of those targeted by this unwieldy program have run the other way.

• Options

<< <i>And the OP loves turning a Sports Talk forum into another thinly veiled political thread... >>

I have disdain for thin veils.

Tough to separate professional team sports from the public funding which has multiplied over the last three decades.

Be glad for a bit of action here on this moribund forum.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>And the OP loves turning a Sports Talk forum into another thinly veiled political thread... >>

I have disdain for thin veils.

Tough to separate professional team sports from the public funding which has multiplied over the last three decades.

Be glad for a bit of action here on this moribund forum. >>

Action is fine, but your agenda is often politically motivated in many cases, which is not. No offense, but that's JMHO.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Action is fine, but your agenda is often politically motivated in many cases, which is not. No offense, but that's JMHO >>

No offense taken.

My agenda is to enjoy the US Coin, Sports and Precious Metal forums that CU provides.

When politics cross the subject matter, it is important to freely note these interactions in a civil manner.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Action is fine, but your agenda is often politically motivated in many cases, which is not. No offense, but that's JMHO >>

No offense taken.

My agenda is to enjoy the US Coin, Sports and Precious Metal forums that CU provides.

When politics cross the subject matter, it is important to freely note these interactions in a civil manner. >>

Civilly stated or not, I think it's better to just leave politics out of the discussion and stick to sports. Any topic can be turned political in nature, but that's not the purpose of this forum.

• Options
    I recall working part time in Detroit in retail during the mid 70's.

Earned $3 an hour, which for a full time employee would have been $6000 per year.

Al Kaline was the highest paid Tiger player of that decade and as I recall earned $100,000. About 17 times what the retail clerk was making.

Today the retail employee is in the $20,000 bracket, against $30M for Cabrera. Ratio is now 1500 to 1.

Something is a bit out of whack.
  • Options
    sports=showbiz..... Cabrera is the star of his show and airs 162 episodes a year plus playoffs. Maybe baseball needs a salary cap. But where does all that extra money go? 40,000x$30 a ticket x 81games + concessions= around 150mil
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe baseball needs a salary cap. But where does all that extra money go? >>

A good start would be reimbursing the taxpayers for the stadium. Beyond that, all incoming proceeds are voluntary and legitimate.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Maybe baseball needs a salary cap. But where does all that extra money go? >>

A good start would be reimbursing the taxpayers for the stadium. Beyond that, all incoming proceeds are voluntary and legitimate. >>

Got to be the most intelligent thing I have ever seen you post Glicker.

We should NEVER fund crap like that. My electric company paid or is paying the Cleveland Clowns for naming rights to their stadium. How about lowering everyone's bills and giving me back my all electric discount you stole from me Edison? Crooks. All of them
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So only owners from wealthy cities should be able to offer long-term lucrative contracts? >>

63% of Comerica Park in Detroit was publicly funded. No issue with Mike Illitch or any other billionaire cutting checks with as many zero's as desired as long as it is out of their own checking accounts. Don't do it with tax dollars though.

Ironic to suck the few extra dollars out of this ravaged city to pay these Roid induced crybabies. >>

I just looked at a bunch of articles on the funding for Comerica - and all of them put Ilitch's funding at roughly two thirds of the cost. That's still not the 100% it should be, but far from the 37% you're stating.
  • Options
    I will re research that Tabe. Make sure that the online infor I had was correct.

Chew on this one though until I get back.

$450M State funding for Wings arena.
  • Options
    This was the site that gave me the funding info.

Text

Percentages are at the upper right hand corner. Other sites are showing the inverted percentages that you noted.

I'll put a call into Detroit Monday and see if I can get the correct info.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

A good start would be reimbursing the taxpayers for the stadium. Beyond that, all incoming proceeds are voluntary and legitimate. >>

Got to be the most intelligent thing I have ever seen you post Glicker.

We should NEVER fund crap like that. My electric company paid or is paying the Cleveland Clowns for naming rights to their stadium. How about lowering everyone's bills and giving me back my all electric discount you stole from me Edison? Crooks. All of them >>

Funny part about First Energy Stadium... it's not even powered by First Energy, it's powered by Cleveland Public Power. image
  • Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    Seeing photographs of Detroit as it exists in reality simply offers a view of what is already present in many cities in the USA and what other cities in the USA can look forward to in the future as USA society and the people living in the country morph from a mind set of independence, hard work and self sufficiency to dependence and cradle to grave nanny state.

Equal opportunity is great.

Equal outcome [based on the notion of "fairness" and ignoring the vast differences in the amount of "input" contributed by individuals] is a disaster that flies in the face of basic human nature. All is does is insure equal misery for all [except those who are our masters].

Your avatar sucks screw Denver! But very well put, I go to community college and heard a kid say I oughta just drop out and sell drugs besides my mom won't know what im spending the college fund she saved for me on.....if I wasnt taking a number two i woulda slapped him by God!
    Nathan Wagner