Options
.
coin22lover
Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭
.
0
Comments
<< <i>I would leave a negative and I would contact eBay to file a complaint that the seller broke the contract he made when he agreed to eBay's listing terms. >>
Agree!!
My Original Song Written to my late wife-"Plus other original music by me"
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8A11CC8CC6093D80
U.S. Army Veteran 1/11 ACR Fulda, Germany
<< <i>What good would filing a complaint do? >>
Nothing. You can no more force a seller to ship you something he doesn't want to sell than you can force a buyer to pay for something he doesn't want to buy.
Exactly, that's why a neg and 1 DSR's across the board should be left. I really hesitate to leave a neg for anyone, but in this particular case of the OP, it's totally warranted and justified imo.
I reserve negative feedback for cases where I don't get my item (for whatever reason) and the seller is difficult to deal with on a refund.
If it were me, I would leave a neutral feedback in this case, as you did not get your item, but did get a quick refund.
It is one the be wrong and admit it, and ask for forgiveness, it is quite another to try and hide under a rock.
Using eBay
While using or accessing the Services you will not:
fail to deliver items sold by you, unless the buyer fails to follow the posted terms, or you cannot contact the buyer;
My Original Song Written to my late wife-"Plus other original music by me"
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8A11CC8CC6093D80
U.S. Army Veteran 1/11 ACR Fulda, Germany
then give negative feedback
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else. - Bastiat
Yes.
Now if they refund promptly, I would not, but I would still neg them.
Stuff happens. I would be steamed, but move on without nailing their discounts with a negative.
Lance.
<< <i>They made an honest mistake and probably preoccupied with other things to realize the problem right away.
Stuff happens. I would be steamed, but move on without nailing their discounts with a negative. >>
They probably should have done their due diligence prior to listing the item on eBay. If they really cared about their discounts, they would have shipped the coin. I will give you an example of what I did in a similar situation as a seller.
I had a garage sale years ago where I sold an old sewing machine. I couldn't find any information on the sewing machine anywhere. I asked $150 for it and started lowering the price every hour by $10. At the end of the day, a young college student girl comes back to the garage sale and asks if I am really going to sell the sewing machine for $10. I told her yes, I just wanted it gone and no one would even make me an offer all day long. She paid the $10 and asked if I would help load it into her car. As we were getting it ready she says, "you are such a nice person and I feel really bad because this sewing machine is worth over $1,000. My family owns a seamstress business and this machine is very valuable. If you don't want to sell it to me, I understand." I told her that I was happy she could cherry pick the item from me and I was glad it was going to someone who could appreciate it for what it was. She was speechless. It actually made my day and I love telling that story. There is no way I would have backed out of the deal I had made with her.
<< <i>So, several days ago, I bought a coin as a buy it now. Waited 3 days, requested a tracking number. No reply. Asked again, and was told that they were sorry, that they found out the coin was worth more (which is correct) and were refunding my money. This outfit appears to be a prototypical gold buying brick and mortar shop selling on Ebay. How would you react? >>
The reality is : several days ago you thought you bought a coin as a "Buy it Now". However, the facts are you didn't buy it then and you don't have it now, despite what the seller does. My reaction in such a case would be a stern letter to the seller admonishing him for behavior unbecoming a professional. Period. Probably wouldn't block him , but would likely leave a neutral feedback pointing out that this dealer is breaching his own contract after the sale.
Then again, I'd probably NOT react, rather respond to you.
"Honest mistake" means absolutely NOTHING. And I would immediately leave negative feedback, and I would share with the users on this forum his identity. Sounds to me like you have a winning hand. You do not need to fold and you do not need to negotiate.
OINK
Think this'll fly?
<< <i>They probably should have done their due diligence prior to listing the item on eBay. If they really cared about their discounts, they would have shipped the coin >>
Depends.
I once sold 10 Morgans as a buy it now at what I thought was a fair price. They were worth $100 more than the $200 I asked. I shipped them promptly the next morning.
On the other hand I errantly listed a 93-S Morgan with a $1 buy it now. It was worth $3000. That coin stayed with me.
Two different scenarios with different outcomes. Depends on the situation. Honest errors happen. Taking 3 days to not respond earns a neg more than the listing mistake.
<< <i>How would you react? >>
I might...
1) Leave negative feedback.
2) Leave neutral feedback.
3) Do nothing and get on with my life.
It would depend on the interaction/communication with the seller.
<< <i>
<< <i>They probably should have done their due diligence prior to listing the item on eBay. If they really cared about their discounts, they would have shipped the coin >>
Depends.
I once sold 10 Morgans as a buy it now at what I thought was a fair price. They were worth $100 more than the $200 I asked. I shipped them promptly the next morning.
On the other hand I errantly listed a 93-S Morgan with a $1 buy it now. It was worth $3000. That coin stayed with me.
Two different scenarios with different outcomes. Depends on the situation. Honest errors happen. Taking 3 days to not respond earns a neg more than the listing mistake. >>
I agree with you if it was an honest listing error but in this case the OP stated the seller is just reneging because they didn't know what it was really worth when they listed it. They should have done due diligence prior to listing in this case IMO and should ship the coin.
When I found out about a month later it is worth double what I sold it for, admittedly, I cringed...but all I can do is hope the buyer returns the favor at some point down the road. And if he doesn't, it still won't affect our collectors relationship. I should've been more informed of what I was offering.
This is what the eBay seller should do in the OP's case. All jmho for what it's worth.
I once sold 10 Morgans as a buy it now at what I thought was a fair price. They were worth $100 more than the $200 I asked. I shipped them promptly the next morning.
On the other hand I errantly listed a 93-S Morgan with a $1 buy it now. It was worth $3000. That coin stayed with me.
>>
I thought "Depends" are what old people wear for incontinence.
And in my humble opinion, you are sacrificing your reputation because you did not honor a $1 listing that was done by YOU. Perhaps your reputation is not worth $3,000??? Certainly you do not think so........
OINK
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else. - Bastiat
<< <i>And in my humble opinion, you are sacrificing your reputation because you did not honor a $1 listing that was done by YOU. Perhaps your reputation is not worth $3,000??? Certainly you do not think so........ >>
For putting the opening bid price in the buy it now box? Certainly you jest!
We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
And now we now your reputation...you can't be serious? It's your opinion, I get it, but that's such an obvious mistake I wouldve bought it on purpose just to save the sellers arse, and most likely, he would've forever been grateful to me and passed many a deal on to me.
>>
I am not a coin dealer. In my business I have swallowed way more that $3,000 on individual mistakes. Sometimes the mistakes have been over six figures. By being reputable, and I mean honoring my offer and fulfilling a contract, I have turned my losses into a credible reputation that has provided to me a very reliable customer base. And I have more than recovered my losses over time.
If $3000 is too big a loss for you to sustain, you should not be in business. Think of this more of an opportunity than a problem.
OINK
I have never forced a sale or threatened Ebay negatives, let alone legal action.
This is a business of trust and respect, not a lair of shysters and brigands.
HOOT
WOOF
<< <i><<For putting the opening bid price in the buy it now box? Certainly you jest!
>>
If $3000 is too big a loss for you to sustain, you should not be in business. Think of this more of an opportunity than a problem.
OINK >>
I agree and disagree. Just because one does it wrong doesn't make it wrong to stop the transaction from being a transgression for either party . Governments and big businesses lose millions of dollars every day, and they stay in business. And just like ebay, they can change the rules as they see fit. Small business people cannot always do that.
Unfortunately, ebay is still a shark tank. And fortunately lessons are still taught daily. Tuition costs are expensive either way.
The guy doesn't get the coin, but he gets schooled. The guy with the coin, keeps the coin and gets schooled. We view it from afar and get schooled.
Sounds like a win /win situation for everyone.
Free Trial
<< <i>"I would advise the buyer in a formal demand letter that he has seven days to pay for the coin. And if after 7 days you have not received payment, then you will turn it over to your attorney for the purpose of filing a lawsuit against the buyer and against eBay. The auction was not even a no reserve auction. The Buy it Now is a "contract" that was agreed to by the buyer, and he now wants to cancel the contract before sending payment. He cannot be serious."
Think this'll fly?
It's definitely not what I would do, but why not? Another member threatened very similar some years ago when an eBay seller tried to back out of a sale (huge cherrypick as coin was thought to be of a value north into the 5 figure mark) and he threatened with an attorney and got the coin...... the way it went, the seller was just confused as other people were contacting her and giving her other info (buyer in question posted it here and was asking if it was real or if he should walk away (stiffing the seller).... when it turned the other way, he threatened legal action).
I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment
>>
Please, are you implying that a buyer can be a shyster or a brigand? The error was to the account of the seller. The seller created the error and wants to stonewall the situation because he made a mistake. In the OP's case perhaps the seller did not know the true value of the coin. In the secondary case the seller listed the coin as BIN for $1 where it should have been starting bid. Brings to mind WHO is an eBay seller? Is eBay just some type of flea market for coins where sellers play heads I win and tails you lose? I think perhaps many on this forum are coin dealers that think they are in a flea market and can play both sides of the coin on eBay. To them, I would say that I would suggest to eBay that sellers have to post a bond to support their offers. If they do not want to consummate the deal, then the buyer has recourse against a surety like a bonding company. eBay somewhat acts like a bonding company as they do provide a lever against sellers that have internal issues. But eBay probably excludes any liability.
Lots of coin dealers thinking like this are giving the industry a bad name.
OINK
<< <i>Would this be an 1830 CBH large letters O.114 by chance? I recall a thread about it.
Lance. >>
...was it this? If so, that sucks because someone here posted that it was a steal right after the sale...leaving it vulnerable to everyday haters who roam/troll these types of forums...I hope it wasn't...and I would let the seller know if he reveals who contacted him about its worth that you will not leave him a negative...then I would out the hater right here in this thread...that's just me though
I hope you work it out in your favor and I am sorry for your loss,
Erik
<< <i>To them, I would say that I would suggest to eBay that sellers have to post a bond to support their offers. >>
Capital idea, as long as the buyers have to post a bond which forces them to pay for their purchase.
Just like I have to provide security to Heritage for my purchases on their auction. But the OP's problem would not have existed on Heritage. But you do not seem to take any exception to my description of eBay as a flea market. And for goods other than coins, it could also be named eFence.
The whole idea is to raise the standard of conduct for coin dealers or for that matter anyone who wants to deal in coins. I do not speak for large dealers, nor do I advocate regulation, but collectors deserve better than a flea market inhabited by gypsies selling their coins.
OINK
<< <i>I haven't left a negative in years; however, I believe this warrants a negative and DSR 1s in all categories unless there was some kind of honest mistake as opposed to seller's remorse. >>
+1. This is unacceptable from a seller. And I hate leaving negatives.
Former CoFounder of Choice Numismatics
All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
<< <i> But you do not seem to take any exception to my description of eBay as a flea market. >>
Ebay carries no inventory of their own, they are a collection of dealers. Many good and reputable and some not. Paypal and Ebay offer buyer protection that is second to none.
I have made perhaps 2000 purchases on Ebay with a 99% plus success rate. The few problems were quickly resolved.
One must of course use some intellect and avoid the obvious scams.
<< <i>How would you react? >>
I would react accordingly
>>
But when a buyer makes a bona fide bid, and submits legal tender, and then it is retrospectively rejected by the seller, this does not seem to be an issue about buyer protection. eBay must hold sellers accountable for their mistakes, intentional or not, or their whole market is nothing more than a flea market. And the legitimate dealers who stand by their offerings are the ones who will suffer. I sense that there are a lot of dealers on this forum standing up for their dealer brothers and want to stand for a unintentional error precedent because of an unintentional mistake. So, what is the difference when JP Morgan screws up and has to pay a few billion, except the position of the decimal point?
OINK