Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Henry VIII Penny? not sure if this is right

Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
This piece came to me as a Henry VIII Penny S1809. Not sure if this is right or even how to price coins of this era. Love these early hammered English coins yet I know nothing of them.

Comments

• RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭
    Elizabeth I halfgroat (2d), i.m. Hand (1590-2) S2579 refers.
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats what I thought as well from what I could find online. Whats the standard reference book used for English Hammered coins?
  • RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭

<< <i>Thats what I thought as well from what I could find online. Whats the standard reference book used for English Hammered coins? >>

There isn't one. The subject is so vast that each era has its detailed references. These are getting ever more refined, but still need to be used in conjunction with something like Spink's Coins of England to give you a ball park figure on pricing. What is never going to be clear from a general reference is the relative rarity of varieties within a single issue. For example, the amount of silver in the pyx trial for various marks will be a rough proxy for rarity. Some marks are scarcer than others. In the case of Saxon coinage, some issues are rare even for a nominally common mint. You need to do a lot of reading around a subject and will still find a lot of gaps in your knowledge. Expect the unexpected.

In this case, for Elizabeth I the standard reference is Brown, Comber & Wilkinson's 'The Hammered Silver Coins produced at the Tower Mint during the reign of Elizabeth I'. You can get it from Paul Withers at Galata.
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not excited to unload a few grand in books as I really ever get these in the door 4-5 times a year. Even then I just mail em off to a friend who then mails me a check.