Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1766 5 kopek copper

I was buying some 90% last week and the dealer showed me a 1766 5 kopek . I've never seen a copper coin that large beforeimage

He wants $15 for it , I have half a mind to grab it as a pocket piece , is that a fair price?

It doesn't look too bad as far as the wear is concerned but its kind of lumpy , is that typical?

A long time ago I read in a russian book , novel whatever of someone being struck by a 5 kopek coin and killed. I thought it was artistic license at the time but I can envision it after seeing this coin.image

Comments

• Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    They are rather large and heavy. Normally the design can seem lumpy. $15 isn't a bad price for an unusual coin. Look for over-striking on the detail. Sometimes older coin were over-struck and some can be worth a fair bit (although I am no Russian expert).
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Save your money, $15 might be a bit much for it - surprisingly they are very very common and a lot of them came out of Russia in the early 1990s. I have boxes of the things, at one time I was collecting them by mintmark, ie AM for Anninsk, KM for Kolyvan etc.

An awful lot of them look like they were used as grapeshot against Napoleon in 1812.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love these large Russian copper pieces. In high grade, they are extremely majestic. In low grade, they can be weaponized. image

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    I have one that I bought from a forum member. Not sure who. I just got it because I've always wanted one. I love the heft of these. You always know which pocket it's in. image