Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Greek Dekadrachm found in safety deposit box

Hello, I've been a member of PCGS for many years and I've frequented the US coin forums, but I've never posted anything until now. The members on the US forum are usually pretty nice about giving advice so I'm hoping some of you will take pity and shed some light on what I can do with this "dark side" silver in my possession.

Most of my friends know me as that guy who collects old coins, so when they get their hands on something I'll usually get called to take a look. As it turns out, a friend of mine's mom was clearing out an old safety deposit box that belonged to her late husband (he passed away in 1984) and she came upon some coins. The deceased husband was a veteran of WW2 & Korea, he liked to collect nice coins, jewelry, watches, and other nice things. Most of the items he collected were bought in the 1950's through the 1970's.

As far as the coin collection goes, there were mostly US coins (and some very nice ones) but the thing we didn't know anything about is this Greek coin that's in an old white holder with gold lettering.

The lettering says "Greek Dedadrachm, 413-357 B.C." but there's no notation of who graded or encapsulated it.

There are no auction receipts so no known provenance. It's a fantastic coin in hand but I wouldn't even begin to know how to authenticate it or grade it. If I had to say something about the coin, I would say that the strike appears to be pretty good, it's centered with slight wear at the highest points of the coin like the hair over the ear and on the shoulders of the horses on the rear.

If there's anyone who wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction, I'm looking to authenticate it and possibly sell the coin for my friend's mom. I live in Las Vegas, I go to California frequently so if anyone has any insight on somewhere fairly close by where I could take the coin for authentication or appraisal somewhat close by I'd really appreciate it.

I hope the pictures come out OK, I spent about an hour trying to figure out how to get them to append to the bottom of this message.

Comments

• Options
    I don't think this one is authentic, sorry.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the piece didn't look like it was cast, it would have been from Sicily Syracuse.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks too circular to be a genuine ancient coin.

How big is it and what does it weigh?

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Do you have a picture of the whole slab?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Sorry, but this isn't real.

The coin is perfectly circular and has no fine detail. It should weigh about 42 grams, for kicks you should see what it weighs but this coin is a cast copy all day regardless.
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. As I said, I'm not an expert on ancient coins by any stretch, I appreciate the feedback.

If this were a US coin, I'd say that it's unlikely to be a cast counterfeit because the surface of the coin isn't rough, there's not a hint of a granular surface showing.

This looks like more of an elegant job of counterfeiting, perhaps it's an electrotype if anything? I suppose I should crack the coin out of the holder and check the edge.

Good idea on weighing the coin, I'll have to get on that and see what it weighs. I'll see if the owner will let me crack it out and do some more research.

I can photograph the entire slab, if I get time tonight I'll do that.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are definately casting techniques such as centrifugal that leave only minimal roughness or bubbling...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Would those techniques been available for use on a coin that was bought at the latest in the seventies?

Again, thanks for the feedback, I've had very minimal exposure to counterfeits. Generally I don't deal with coins that are faked as much as something like this is...
  • Options
    So, I pulled out the old food scale and put the coin on there...

22 grams

That would appear to seal the deal, definitely a fake I'd say.

Now the hard part comes when I have to deliver the news that what was thought to be an authentic heirloom is actually an old counterfeit.

Grandpa got bamboozled!

Thanks for all the honest feedback, I really appreciate everyone's input!
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So, I pulled out the old food scale and put the coin on there...

22 grams

That would appear to seal the deal, definitely a fake I'd say.

Now the hard part comes when I have to deliver the news that what was thought to be an authentic heirloom is actually an old counterfeit.

Grandpa got bamboozled!

Thanks for all the honest feedback, I really appreciate everyone's input! >>

I think that Grandpa knew that it was a fake, otherwise he would have paid a fortune for it, even in the late seventies. He might have simply liked the idea of owning a fake, regardless...Both the Athenian decadrachm and the one from Syracuse were actually commemorative coins that were minted in very small numbers to celebrate military successes, they didn't really circulate. The design of this decadrachm was made by Kimon, one of the finest engravers from Ancient Greece, and if the coin was real, it would have been worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    I bought this one 5 years ago :

she's popular on banknotes, these are genuine image

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Love it! Awesome!!! image
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love that currency! Here's a genuine dekadrachm which I bought for about $100K and sold for a profit recently (I swear I'm not a coin dealer, but it's funded several more purchases image). Greek silver, especially dekadrachms, are very rare in nice condition and if yours were genuine, it would be worth $70K or more in the current market:

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    simply amazing smeagle image

I feel I may have asked this already but do you have an EID MAR Brutus?
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>simply amazing smeagle image

I feel I may have asked this already but do you have an EID MAR Brutus? >>

I don't, but not for a lack of trying... I've been outbid on the last two which have come up for sale. There's one coming up at Goldberg in June but I'm probably going to skip it for its crystallization/porosity, although it is otherwise a gorgeous coin. The EID MAR sits at the top of my wantlist, but it sits at the top of most everyone else's as well.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Thats an amazing picture of an awsome decadrachme image

Found another Arethusa banknote in my collection.

and a large size banknote with a whole bunch of ancient greek coins pictured, hope you like that too.

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.