Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Large lot of Non Sports Boxes/Sets etc

Posted this question on the sports board, had forgotten about the non sports forum, thought maybe I could get some other opinions on this board.

There is someone locally who has a giant non sports collection with a few sports items. Some of the highlights include

Full unopened box run of GPK from series 3 to series 15
6 Unopened boxes of GPK UK Series 1
16 Sets GPK UK Series 1
15 misc. GPK regular issue sets
Roughly 200 loose packs of GPK Series 3 to 15
Roughly 1150 unopened boxes of non sports from 1978 to 1991.
Nearly 1500 sets of non sports from 1978-1991
Almost 100 (800) count boxes of commons from those same years
1000 loose packs of non sports from 1978-1991
About 300 higher value commons like Look & See, Die Laughing, etc. most in EX condition
Full case of 1989-90 Fleer Basketball
35 Sets Dominos Pizza Upper Deck
17 1981 Donruss Golf Sets
11 1982 Donruss Golf Sets

The non sport box/set lot is 90% post 1984. Included are 110 boxes of Dick Tracy, 6 boxes of 1978 Elvis, 1 box 1977 Charlies Angels Series 3, 44 Boxes of 1987 Wrestling, 32 Boxes All my Children, 50 boxes of Hook, 100 Boxes of various Desert Storm Boxes and much more. Sets are about the same makeup as the boxes.

I have priced these out using the "average" selling price on ebay to be roughly $23,500. I am estimating it taking in the neighborhood of 5-8 years to sell all of this stuff. Factoring in the risk of many of these items going down in value, ebay fees, taxes and just sheer time at listing them. What is a fair offer price for this lot? The person selling them is asking $11k for the lot. I personally think that is almost double a fair offer, but would like to hear your thoughts...thanks

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY

Comments

• Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with you. Maybe 5k.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I do not think the $11,000 is a bad price.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Personally, I do not think the $11,000 is a bad price. >>

Perhaps to a collector. Consider that $23,500, turns into $20,500 real quick with paypal/ebay fees, plus tax implications since selling this would put you in ebays 1099 range You're looking at 17k to 18k after all that. At 18k, you are looking at a $7000 profit for nearly 3500 items? $2 an item profit on ebay is a waste of time.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Personally, I do not think the $11,000 is a bad price. >>

Perhaps to a collector. Consider that $23,500, turns into $20,500 real quick with paypal/ebay fees, plus tax implications since selling this would put you in ebays 1099 range You're looking at 17k to 18k after all that. At 18k, you are looking at a $7000 profit for nearly 3500 items? $2 an item profit on ebay is a waste of time. >>

Then why ask for our opinion if you don't want it or want to argue it? Offering someone less than 22 percent of what you feel FMV is is ripping the seller off and you are here admitting it. Good for you. I hope you sleep well at night.

• Options
    I was just offering you a reason why I thought it was too high, something you had perhaps not considered when I was posing the question. I was not posing it as a buyer wanting to collect junk wax, was posing it for resale and as I stated, based on his asking price and taking into account all the fees and taxes, a seller, selling boxes INDIVIDUALLY, not by case or in bulk, but ONE at a time, would end up with about $17-$18k. I actually did offer him $6600 for it, which is 38% of the net expected, not 22%, which considering I didnt even mention what I offered him previously, is quite a leap for you to suggest I am ripping anyone off.

Congrats on winning the overreaction of the week award
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    Are the 80s Topps boxes x-out boxes? I think there is a big difference.

To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    slackerslacker Posts: 231 ✭✭
    I would need more details of the better titles on the 1150 non sports wax boxes before I could chime in with my wisdom of what to offer.
    Love and laughter,
    Slacker
    Ps did he decline your last offer and make a counter offer?
    goal is to build my 1962 topps mars attacks set psa gpa 8.25.
  • Options
    mtcards please share more info of the lot.

A big lack of info to give or recommend a price. Also I will consider the condition of the items. I believe that many old boxes from Non-Sport are technically a waste of money if it has bubble gum in the packs. Let not forget the time checking the sets.
    My extra/duplicate cards for sale in my eCrater Store: http://elpereles.ecrater.com
  • Options
    The list of the lot is virtually pages.

I can say this that the majority of this lot is of the overprinted stuff. As i had said earlier, of the 1100 or so wax, there are nearly 110 Boxes of Dick Tracy, 33 Boxes of All my Children, 56 Boxes of New Kids on the Block, 54 Boxes of Hook, 48 Robin Hood, 100-120 Boxes of Desert Storm, 44 Boxes of Rocketeer, 24 Boxes of Dick Tracy Jumbo Packs, 48 Boxes of Adams Family, 40-50 Boxes of various Batman Movie cards. Cards like this account for nearly half of the boxes. They have a very low sell through rate (5-10%) and generally sell for under $5, when and if they do sell.

For the sets, there are over 100 sets of desert storm, 88 sets of 21 jumpstreet, 60 sets of dick tracy, 35 sets of Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, 25 Batman Movie cards, 30 Hook, 25 Robin Hood, 40 New Kids, 50 Rocketeer, 15 Adams Family, 20 Star Trek TNG Impel etc. Having researched the sets, 58% of them have a sell through rate of under 10% even priced at 99 cents a set.

Some of the better items: Boxes include 1 Box of Superman The Movie, 1 Box of Star Trek The Motion Picture, 2 Boxes Jaws 2, 1 Box Magnum PI, 3 Boxes MASH, 4 Boxes Elvis, 4 Boxes Donruss Rock Stars, 44 Boxes 1987 Topps WWF Wrestling, 1 Box Moonraker, 12 Boxes Marvel Universe IV, 1 Box Goonies, 7 Boxes of Gremlins and 16 Boxes of Tron. Those are all the Boxes with an average sell price of over $20. For the sets, there are 17 Sets of Elvis, 27 Sets of 1987 WWF Wrestling, 2 Sets Jaws, 2 Sets Rocky II, 1 Set Each of all the color Star Wars Sets (Does not include the C3PO "Junk" Card), 2 Sets ET. None of the rest of the sets sell for more than $8 on average. The problem is that the good stuff is such a small part of the lot and that the majority are virtually impossible to sell, especially considering ebay takes a whack out of the shipping as well.

The price I was giving for purposes of ebay, was taking each item and selling it individually. I have seen other online retailers sell these items by the case for under $25 for many of the items. So my estimate of $23k for sales, is not the price you would pay if trying to recreate the lot, rather only what you would pay buying them one at a time.

As for the offer, he declined the offer and has countered with his original price of 11k. Also, consider this is the same person who has offered to sell me his cases of 1989 Donruss baseball for $200 each, since he bought them in 1991 for $180 and doesnt want to lose money on them. I also know he has contacted most of the larger buyers in the country and has declined all of their offers as well, which were all equal to or less than mine. Which is why I took offense to the accusation of ripping someone off, considering some of those buyers have the utmost respect of myself and other board members

Edited to add....many of the boxes are X outs and many of the sets do not include the stickers. Also, many of the boxes are in "less than collectible" condition.
  • Options
    After reading more details and condition of the stuff. The $5K isn't bad. I will not offer more than $6K and not before inspecting visually the stuff.

It is too bad this non-sport lot has too much not interesting stuff. A more sci-fi, wrestling, and comic book related stuff and you can spend 8 years selling continuously all the stuff. About the old sets and the missing stickers. I will not be surprise. If the guy buy the stuff long time ago. I'm sure many of the stickers just fall apart.
    My extra/duplicate cards for sale in my eCrater Store: http://elpereles.ecrater.com
  • Options

<< <i>As for the offer, he declined the offer and has countered with his original price of 11k. Also, consider this is the same person who has offered to sell me his cases of 1989 Donruss baseball for $200 each, since he bought them in 1991 for $180 and doesnt want to lose money on them. I also know he has contacted most of the larger buyers in the country and has declined all of their offers as well, which were all equal to or less than mine. Which is why I took offense to the accusation of ripping someone off, considering some of those buyers have the utmost respect of myself and other board members. >>

You are the one that said FV is $23,500. Based on that, I feel $5,000 is too cheap and is ripping the seller off. After reading your new description with more details, I think perhaps you overstated the FMV and maybe $5,000 is not a bad offer. You should not take offense if you come here seeking opinions and someone gives you an opinion that you disagree with. Having said all that, good luck with your quest to purchase this lot if that is what you so choose.

• Options
    He countered offered back to 11k I'd counter offer 8k not a penny more. Hope this helps.
    Love and laughter,
    Slacker
  • Options
    Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    My guess is he is looking for a sucker at $11k, especially when all other top dealers have offered what you offered.
    I'd pass, not thinking you could make out, especially with the list and condition of the items you mentioned.
    As far as your original offer, I believe it to be fair. I can only imagine the time it would take to remove this stuff and bring it to your residence. People often forget this when offers are made.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    5k is too much, and NKOB in that junk?
    Good for you.
  • Options
    buymycardsbuymycards Posts: 125 ✭✭
    It sounds like much of this is junk. Try taking it to a card show and no one will buy it. You might get offers of a buck or two per box, but it won't be worth your time. The cost of shipping will prevent customers from buying this stuff on ebay. Just think of how much time it will take you to list this stuff on eBay. $5k is way too much. You should be offering 10% of book value at the most. If this guy thinks he has a gold mine he should give eBay a shot. That should bring him back to reality.

• Options

<< <i>It sounds like much of this is junk. Try taking it to a card show and no one will buy it. You might get offers of a buck or two per box, but it won't be worth your time. The cost of shipping will prevent customers from buying this stuff on ebay. Just think of how much time it will take you to list this stuff on eBay. $5k is way too much. You should be offering 10% of book value at the most. If this guy thinks he has a gold mine he should give eBay a shot. That should bring him back to reality. >>

I actually suggested to him to sell on ebay, he said he didnt have the time or interest in doing so. In fact, he disputed my claim that the 91 Dominos Pizza Football Sets are hard sells, even at $2 a pop, to which he later that day called his "expert" family member who told him that there go for $10 all the time on ebay. Judging by this, I have no chance to realistically buy the offer since apparently his info is coming from someone who cannot even use the simple ebay search feature to find information.

At the end of the day, we have decided to no negotiate for this any longer. I did buy a case of 1987 Donruss from him for $275 which I thought was an OK price
  • Options
    That was cheaper than what I paid a case for 1987 donruss wax the year they came out. Sounds like you gots a good deal on the case.
    In regards to what you didn't buy perhaps you should look at it like you dodged a bullet. That would take a long time to unload all that junk.
    Love and laughter,
    Slacker
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sounds like you gots a good deal on the case. In regards to what you didn't buy perhaps you should look at it like you dodged a bullet. That would take a long time to unload all that junk. >>

+1

I wouldn't want most of that stuff for free. You feel guilty throwing it out, it takes up space and it's not worth the time to sell nkotb boxes even with free inventory.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options

<< <i>...which he later that day called his "expert" family member who told him that there go for $10 all the time on ebay. >>

Seriously!? He called his family expert. Yeah, right!

If someone of my family came asking for a suggestion to sell his/her stuff. My 1rst comment will be simple. Take the damage/trash out, break the freaking lot in smaller lot, and sit down to sell it in eBay or craiglist. If you aren't interesting in doing all that work. Just ask a price with offer accepted and don't become ridiculous asking a higher price. You want money and without working. It isn't needed to think twice.