Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New pics of some juicy oldps from 2013

[All images courtesy of Greg Margulies]

1853 Bavaria 2 Gulden - extremely attractive crown-sized piece. It's a bit too modern for me, but it's very attractive in hand.

1821-Mo JJ Mexico Real - very lightly toned and flashy. Great eye appeal. I don't do New World stuff normally, but this was a relatively cheap piece that got me past a dry spell. image

(The image's shading and shadows are off relative to how the coin actually looks -- but since Greg does these for free for me and he was horribly busy at the time and I was harassing him incessantly, I guess I shouldn't complain about the sub-optimal product.)

1628-HI Saxony 1/4 Taler - light gray toning. Decent eye appeal. The image shadows are off too, and the reverse is upside-down. (This reminds me of a recent story from him, of someone not knowing reverse from obverse and how to orient that side. Now I can add him as a subject in that story. image )

1612 Casale Tallero, Dav-3870. This piece is conditionally rare in UNC. This is the sole coin where Greg's image makes the coin look nicer than in hand. Thanks, Greg. Don't quit your day job. image BTW, both he and I think this coin is too conservatively graded (by a point).

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I really like the look of these pieces! What are the grades, if you do not mind to divulge the information for these coins?

-Dan

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I really like the look of these pieces! What are the grades, if you do not mind to divulge the information for these coins?

-Dan >>

I think 65, 64, 64, 61.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>got me past a dry spell >>

lol image
    I can relate.

Cool coins and in particular the 2 Gulden and the /14 Taler are really wonderful examples of the engraver's art.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>got me past a dry spell >>

lol image
    I can relate.

Cool coins and in particular the 2 Gulden and the /14 Taler are really wonderful examples of the engraver's art. >>

Heh. I'm kind of in the middle of a dry spell right now, because the last coin I purchased was in early February. It was a doozy of a coin though. I have another piece coming to me on approval from GB. They just got the export license. I can't wait. (Stay tuned for my post -- probably a week or so after Baltimore.)

As for your comment about engraving skill, does anyone know why these hefty Italian States pieces come so crudely struck? (I know this isn't the same as engraving skill, but it just got me thinking...)

EVP

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    these are really nice...look at the crisp details on that 1/4T...
  • Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Nice coins one and all.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.