Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Set registry people - would adding an early Silver Commem 1892 to 1928 set make sense?

I just see these coins in a different light than the ones from the 1930's forward.

Any comments - pro or con?

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye

Comments

• BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Low mintage, has nice color (not easy to find), will maintain price level (or go up), nice history.

If one can be afforded, it would be a super addition.

Approved by Congress on March 7, 1928, and issued in commemoration of the one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the discovery of the Hawaiian Islands by Captain James Cook, and for the purpose of aiding in establishing a Captain James Cook memorial collection in the archives of the Territory of Hawaii.

The design for the coin is based upon a sketch prepared by Miss Juliette May Fraser, an artist of Honolulu, Hawaii, and the models were executed by Chester Beach.

This was the first Act that offered a coin for a possession of the United States and the first with such a low total coinage.

The Captain Cook Sesquicentennial Commission of Honolulu released the pieces at two dollars each; the highest initial sales price for a half-dollar up to that time; and the entire issue was exhausted within a comparatively short period. This was followed by a rise in price. Fifty coins of this issue in the form of sandblast proofs were presented by the Commission to various Museums and officials throughout the country. A special surcharge of the regular two cent stamp was released for this celebration.

As noted in the Act, funds derived from the sale of these pieces were to be used in the establishment of a Captain Cook Memorial Museum in Honolulu. The reverse seems to have been inspired by the statue of the Hawaiian King, Kamehameha I.
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree there is a different look to this period. Would you have it has a type set or a complete set? As a side note it is alot easier to find pre-30 commems holed than post-30.
  • PRO-they are undervalued now and if they hit popularity again you will do very well!
    I'm working on the gold set myself!