Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Holed 1810 960 Reis. Thoughts about the grade?

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm struck (pun intended) by how nice this piece is. No distracting marks, great strike, clean fields, and thick original attractive tone with good luster beneath.

Obviously taking the hole out of the equation, what would you grade her? I feel she's high XF on a bad day, mid AU on a good day. One of our other board members seems to think that's too high--which I'm fine with. But 1810 is the first year of the series, I believe, and given the somewhat primitive nature of the coin, the fact that it's an overstrike, etc? I dunno. Hit me with both barrels. Maybe the other member will chime in.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    My thought would be VF/XF. FWIW...
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, very wholesome XF. I would expect some remaining luster to make AU, any luster left?
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been contemplating how to grade these 960's myself lately. Strike details vary greatly, but the surfaces usually tell the story...and pics posted on this forum don't always tell that story
    so well, mine especially image This one looks XF in the pics but could totally be AU in hand. Like Dan said, it'll depend on the luster.

I'd love to find a really worn 960...anyone have one ? There seem to be alot of XF/AU pieces out there.
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    Here's an NGC AU53...

• Options
    There is some luster on the coin, particularly around the denticles. Not so much in the fields, but I wonder how much of that is just the method of manufacture.

I looked at several graded pieces online, mrpotatoheadd. It's hard to judge how closely mine matches "white" examples. I suppose I could dip mine, but I like the tone and skin on the piece. I don't want to risk that being lost.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice. Very tidy, small hole, too.

I would concur with nice EF, details-wise.

Just solid EF40 details was my first impression. Wasn't so sure about EF45 and didn't think I saw AU details there, but after seeing the AU53 graded example mrpotatohead posted, I guess there's an argument for that.

Nice original "skin", indeed.

<< <i>I suppose I could dip mine >>

Wash thy mouth out with soap (or disinfect thy keyboard), good sir. That would be a crime.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Without being able to cartwheel it in hand, XF45. Wouldn't surprise me at AU50 though.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    Pleasing EF to me, love it! perfect "junque" material.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the opinions!

If I have the story correct, Napoleon invaded Portugal in 1807, and the prince regent fled to the Portuguese colony of Brazil and set up the kingdom of Portugal there instead. Kind of moved the whole country, if you will, with Rio as the seat of the government of Portugal.

From 960Coins:

In September 1808, Dom João declared that circulating Spanish 8 reales, valued on the market at 750 to 800 reis, be counterstamped to make them official coinage of Brazil, and at the same time raising the accepted value to 960 reis. This created a profit for the Royal family, helping to fund the costs of the Kingdom. Starting in 1810, the entire 8 reales coin was overstruck with the Brazilian design, instead of just using a counterstamp.

I paid melt for this piece, about $17 or $18.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I paid melt for this piece, about $17 or $18. >>

Superb pickup, I say. That's what's sweet about high-end holeys sometimes. You can get 98-99% of the eye appeal for a fraction of the price.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.