Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Random oddity found

StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
This was a random item I bid on in an ebay.uk auction. A board member was kind enough to take delivery (UK delivery only) and send it to me. I recall seeing this and having no idea what on earth it was, but it had the reverse theme I like (Thetis/hippocampus type). I bought on a whim, and planned to research later. Oops. Well, now I have a little more information, and as a good piece of numismatica/exonumia, it has led me to learning something.

This was apparently part of a 16 medal/token series done by a subsidiary of the ESSO company (Cleveland Petrol) in 1971. The original Naval General Service Medal from the era is gorgeous, and now I have a book about it sitting in my Amazon shopping cart... I saw a real medal one for sale--way out of my league, so I will content myself with this little aluminum token. It's a little under 2 cm in diameter and in pretty nice shape for old aluminum.

Comments

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I like your token, but the real medal is awesome:

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is great! Who was the engraver? It has a Wyon look to it (think Trozau's icon, unless he's changed it).

Cathy

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh. Neato.

Nice design, fer sure. Bet you're right. It looks Wyon-esque.

Apparently the part of the human brain which is also called the hippocampus is so named because it resembles a seahorse (not the mythical beastie shown above, but the real seahorse critter).

There goes my first (and perhaps last) opportunity to use the word "hippocampus" in a sentence.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.