Home Precious Metals

How much over melt to pay for 90% silver?

I found a formula online to calculate how much times face to pay for 90% silver, but since 90% usually sells at a slight premium, how much should I expect to pay over melt? If the melt value indicates that I should pay 15.3x face, would buying at 16x face be a good price? 17x?

Thanks, and sorry if this is a commonly asked question.
Successful BST transactions with: Walkerguy21D, Metalsman, chumley, cohodk

Comments

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

At a shop 16x is fine now

• << <i>At a shop 16x is fine now >>

Just to clarify, this is a average buying from the dealer price right?
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    about 4% over spot is what I work with. If coinflation tells me a 90% kennedy half has $7.70 worth of silver then I plan on spending about $8.00 on one. Problem with the 16x face is that it is only good at current spot prices. If silver climbs up then a new multiple is needed. Coinflation gives me live silver value that is based spot price at the time I check the website and my "plus 4%" remains constant.

"Who needs risk management when you’ve got guaranteed bailouts? - Jesse Felder

From what I have seen at shops locally 16x represents a floor. At the baystate show the other day most tables wanted more and only one dealer I found was at that price.

It will go higher but unless people refuse to pay 16x I don't see it going lower.

Some want more for half dollars now also. Whether you believe that half dollar premium has merit or not , at shops that don't you might as well buy halfs if they offer them.

• Thanks! Just picked up $20 face from eBay for $345 with $27.60 in eBay bucks.
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks! Just picked up $20 face from eBay for $345 with $27.60 in eBay bucks. >>

That sounds like a good price for eBay.
  • pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I paid 1625 today for a 100 dollar face of quarters, I thought about taking the half dollars for the same price and passed. I will probably get another 100 dollar bag on Saturday and I will go for the half dollars this time.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I paid 1625 today for a 100 dollar face of quarters, I thought about taking the half dollars for the same price and passed. I will probably get another 100 dollar bag on Saturday and I will go for the half dollars this time. >>

Half dollars are better at 16.25 x than the quarters are. Usually halves trade at a small premium vs. quarters and dimes.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    The thing I like about selling, and buying for that matter, about 90% is it's usually negotiable, unlike generic .999, which is a slave to whatever Spot is doing.

Also, at current level $16.25 for Halves is a steal of a deal, especially if you were able to get $100 face of them. Around here, Halves are easily going for $1.00 more than what Quarters are. Dimes...usually don't buy them but if I'm forced to to take a whole mixed Lot deal, I buy them at melt or I don't do the deal.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the grade ? image
    I paid 148 times face for one silver dollar. Another silver dollar I paid 1500 times face.

<< <i>What's the grade ? image
    I paid 148 times face for one silver dollar. Another silver dollar I paid 1500 times face. >>

How much would you pay me for this pic-a-nic basket yogi?

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many boo boos are in that basket ? image