Home Sports Talk
Options

The 28 Most Unfortunate Names In Sport

lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
The cool players nicknames thread prompted me to find this. Some funny stuff!

link

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Relief pitcher JJ Putz comes to mind.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    that list is incomplete without Fair Hooker.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Argelico F**** wins by a landslide. In fact, if there was an award given, it should be named after him.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭
    I know the list is meant more for suggestive sorts of names but how about being a football player named Charlie Brown? At least he did end up winning a championship with the 1982 'Skins! image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    Baltimore sportscaster Gerry Sandusky drew a short straw in the name game.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Baltimore sportscaster Gerry Sandusky drew a short straw in the name game. >>

Well when his parents named him at birth they weren't thinking THAT far ahead.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    I don't get Andrei Arshavin.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Happy 36th birthday Yoshie!
  • Options

<< <i>I don't get Andrei Arshavin.

image >>

British people use the term arse instead of as*. So Andrei is shaving his arsh

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Baltimore sportscaster Gerry Sandusky drew a short straw in the name game. >>

Well when his parents named him at birth they weren't thinking THAT far ahead. >>

Fairly obvious. Point is some get a bit unlucky as notorious folks cast the name in a bad light.

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Dick Pole did not mark the list??
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

image >>

Ah, thanks! Perhaps they should have narrowed it down to 27 names.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Misty Hyman sure... but what about the volleyball player, Flo Hyman?
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

image >>

Ah, thanks! Perhaps they should have narrowed it down to 27 names.

image >>

lol!

I don't get the Ralph Minge one so don't feel bad.
  • Options
    Taking this in another direction:

OJ Simpson, Michael Vick, Joe Paterno, Mike Tyson, Pete Rose......

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not know if this name would qualify as "unfortunate" [IMO it is more entertaining], but I will toss it out there for your humble consideration.

In 1976 a buddy of mine and me (I?) were watching the Montreal Olympics on TV. One of the European Olympic teams had a male athlete who was very large and muscular [weight lifter, shot putter, discus thrower]. He was performing in his event and his performance was televised with [I think] Jim McKay providing the commentary and analysis.

The athlete was very focused and pumped up, both before and during his performance. He did very well and scored very high. Upon completion of his performance he realized that he did very well and his built up enthusiasm and emotion came pouring out of him. He was standing on his feet and he began to shake. He then began to strike his chest and head repeatedly with his fists and was screaming for joy. This went on for a little while and the TV cameras caught it all and broadcast it to the viewing public. Jim McKay commented on it also, and in doing so said the name of the athlete.

The man's name was none other than: GERD BONK.

I still remember Jim McKay saying GERD BONK and trying to provide his commentary with a straight face and in a dignified manner.

My buddy and I were transfixed not only with the name GERD BONK but with the man's action of standing there and pummeling himself with his fist while he was screaming (we could not tell if he was screaming "GERD BONK", "GERD" or just "BONK" during his self flagellation imageimage).

My buddy and I also discussed whether the athlete had a girlfriend (either back home watching on TV or in the stands watching in person) and if so whether she was so emotionally moved by his athletic performance and post performance self flagellation that she called out (either out loud or in the silence of her soul) "OH GERD, OH GERD".

Wish someone could find old video of GERD BONK's glorious Olympic moment and post it on You Tube so that the world can share in his joy and triumph.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Gerd Bonk has a Wikipedia page. Evidently he's a record holder in certain aspects and the Clean and Jerk was his specialty.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After I posted about Gerd Bonk I Google him and found his Wikipedia page. He was a stud weightlifter. It is sad he is suffering from the effects of the drugs, etc. that eastern block athletes were forced to take.

The TV coverage of Bonk going, well...... bonkers, after he completed his event will always be a clear memory I have of the 1976 summer games.