Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Protecting a Signed Hockey Stick

I have a pretty cool hockey stick signed by an entire Frozen Four team from the early 80's, including several Olympians and one NHL HOFer. As of yet, I haven't displayed or protected it at all. What do you all recommend? I've seen the Plexiglas "cubes" with UV protection that wall mount. Those are a little pricey, but I'll go that route if there isn't a viable alternative. A friend of mine, who isn't a collector, suggested spraying the stick with a clear Krylon spray. That will certainly protect the sigs, but will it also devalue them? What would you all suggest for options?

Comments

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

<< <i>. A friend of mine, who isn't a collector, suggested spraying the stick with a clear Krylon spray. That will certainly protect the sigs, but will it also devalue them? >>

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    Now that thats taken care of, do you want to display or just safely store it?

Commissions

• Options
    Protection is the number one priority, but if that could double as a display that would be great too. Buying a new house with a "man cave" space
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I'd go with the clear display "cube".

I have a few game-used and signed baseball bats, and have bought the BCW wall-mount displays to put them in, and believe me, they look great! image

Steve
  • Options
    Do the cubes you have offer uv protection? I was thinking of just drilling 2 hooks into the wall and laying the stick in them, but I didn't want the autos to fade
  • Options

<< <i>Do the cubes you have offer uv protection? I was thinking of just drilling 2 hooks into the wall and laying the stick in them, but I didn't want the autos to fade >>

I use this for mine; http://www.breakawaydisplays.com/, but obviously, doesn't protect from sun. But, just make sure you keep it away from a window and you should be fine.

Commissions

• Options
    I can keep it away from sun in the basement, but other light has faded some of my signed baseballs, hence my concern. Can't light bulbs also fade autos over time?
  • Options

<< <i>I can keep it away from sun in the basement, but other light has faded some of my signed baseballs, hence my concern. Can't light bulbs also fade autos over time? >>

I have dozens of signed baseballs, and yes, a small few have faded a bit. Most though, show no signs of fading whatsoever. As long as you get baseballs signed with a blue ballpoint pen, you should be ok. The ones I have that have faded, were signed in black and/or sharpie.

Regarding your earlier question about UV protection with my bat holders, they don't say anything about it, so they probably don't. I do have them out of sunlight though, and have had no problems at all.

Steve
  • Options
    Thanks for the input!
  • Options

<< <i>I can keep it away from sun in the basement, but other light has faded some of my signed baseballs, hence my concern. Can't light bulbs also fade autos over time? >>

Depends somewhat on the pen type and the medium being signed. You said it was a stick, was it wood or plastic, signed with sharpie or paintpen? Color?

Commissions

• Options
    It's a wooden game-used stick from Providence College captain and Team USA member Paul Guay, used in the Frozen Four in either 1983 or '84 (can't remember which). The whole team signed it in ball point pen, including HOF goalie Chris Terreri.
  • Options
    If it's special to you, take care of it, regardless of the value.
  • Options

<< <i>If it's special to you, take care of it, regardless of the value. >>

It is and I plan to, the question is how to take care of it. So far some seem to think put it in a cube, some think to hang it on the wall with no case. Neither offers uv protection, but some seem to think I won't need that. Any more thoughts out there?
  • Options

I just picked up a Patrick Roy signed, game-used goalie stick in the recent Lelands Auction.

Now, I need to find a good display case to protect it.

Are there any good display cases around that would hold it. It measures 15" wide x 62" in length.

Thanks!

Steve