Home Testing Forum
Options

~ Grading poll draft

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Time for another "GTG" (Guess the Grade) poll, just for fun.

Here's my latest US coin purchase.

As you can see, it is in TPG plastic, so I will vote the "Neutral/Results Only" option in the poll, and will reveal the grade after the poll has reached 25-30 votes or so.

PCGS/Photograde standards

Index of similar grading poll threads like this

You may have seen my recent thread about a double-struck 1782 Hibernia halfpenny.

Consensus on that seemed to be that it was a contemporary counterfeit, which normally wouldn't have been bad news, except that makes it unfit for my slabbed Box of 20 set, as the TPGs won't grade counterfeits (18th century or otherwise).

So I am returning it to the seller, and exchanging it for this French Colonies piece. (Plus I'll still have a little refund coming.)

This will be the first time I've had one of these, though of course I have seen them in the Redbook all these years.

How do you think this one looks? The surfaces looked OK to me, considering what it is.

I have no idea where to begin on grading this, however. By the host coin? That looks Fine at best. By the counterstamp? That's kind of minimalistic, with only two letters for detail. Is this a Fine? A VF? An acceptable example? What say you?

A TPG should grade this, right? I think I have seen them in plastic somewhere before.

Larger obverse image

Larger reverse image

Larger obverse picture

Larger reverse picture

Larger picture

When posted here, this coin was a pending addition to my "Eclectic Box of 20" collection.

Larger picture

When posted here, this coin was a pending addition to my "Eclectic Box of 20" collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments