Home Precious Metals

Stock dividends vs Gold dividends.

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
With the S&P500 hitting record highs today, I took my weekly look and saw that dividend yields on that index are at a near record low of 1.87%. The only time it was lower was in the late nineties, before the dot com bust.

100 year average is above 4%.

Gold of course, pays no cash dividend. Holders are generally looking for price appreciation or in some cases, just a store of wealth.

So is this sub 2% dividend yield a worry, or can it drop to near zero for the hearty investor as long as equity prices keep rising, creating paper profit?

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dividends are your reward for taking risk. Low dividend yield indicates that the market is saying risk is low. I disagree.

"The good old days when “JUSTICE” stood for something instead of “JUST US.”" - Martin Armstrong

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    To me, stock dividends are your annual payout as part owner of the company.

If I invested $1,000,000 as a passive owner of an established restaurant, I would expect more than an $18,700 check each year.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So is this sub 2% dividend yield a worry, or can it drop to near zero for the hearty investor as long as equity prices keep rising, creating paper profit?

Two things, a "paper profit" is like a paper loss? Just because its on paper doesnt mean you have it?

And, compare the dividend yield to other yield bearing instruments. The sub-2% in 2000 was compared to 7% in treasuries. Today with treasuries yielding 3% the dividend yield is still very attractive.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So is this sub 2% dividend yield a worry, or can it drop to near zero for the hearty investor as long as equity prices keep rising, creating paper profit?

Two things, a "paper profit" is like a paper loss? Just because its on paper doesnt mean you have it?

And, compare the dividend yield to other yield bearing instruments. The sub-2% in 2000 was compared to 7% in treasuries. Today with treasuries yielding 3% the dividend yield is still very attractive. >>

Agree and agree. I suppose the bet is whether treasury yields will remain low.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,546 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I suppose the bet is whether treasury yields will remain low. >>

Or if FED can keep it low.

"The good old days when “JUSTICE” stood for something instead of “JUST US.”" - Martin Armstrong