Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Strange token or gaming piece with eagle and 'ten'

I do not know what this is: (I do now, it's a Radiant Eagle Game Counter)

Obverse: Eagle with wings raised standing on leaves and arrows

Reverse: Number '10' in box within wreath

Brass, 32mm, 13.83gm

I have seen these before but without any description.

Anyone know what it is?

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No clue.

Gaming counter would seem the obvious guess.

And probably of American origin, from the eagle's accessories, though the eagle himself doesn't quite look American.

Late 19th century or very early 20th century would be my guess on the timeline, based on the style.

Interesting piece.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i> the eagle himself doesn't quite look American. >>

I dream of living in a nation where we don't judge eagles by their looks, but rather by their spirit. Where the un-American looking eagles can soar along with the American looking eagles. I dream of an America where the only thing holding any eagle back is gravity, i dream of an america where old fashioned ideas about how eagles should look are cast aside. The journey may be a long one, but we can get to that America.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>

I dream of living in a nation where we don't judge eagles by their looks, but rather by their spirit. Where the un-American looking eagles can soar along with the American looking eagles. I dream of an America where the only thing holding any eagle back is gravity, i dream of an america where old fashioned ideas about how eagles should look are cast aside. The journey may be a long one, but we can get to that America. >>

Ha!image
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H.L. Mencken
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    My first impression is that it is a shooting medal of sorts. The eagle looks to me to be more of a European design. On the medal from Bulgaria, is there a period or comma separating the 2 and 50? If it is a comma then you could definitely rule out US origin. I tried to look up Bulgarian shooting medals and didn't find anything similar but now I am intrigued.
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    It looks like a marker or counter to me, maybe UAR, Syria or Egypt
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very similiar thread just a couple weeks back on the US coin forum. It's almost certainly a gaming piece.

I have a coin similar to this one, but the other side is the heraldic eagle holding the Laurel branch and 6 arrows. The eagle is facing the arrows instead of the laurel branch. Can you tell me anything about this coin? I have been searching for it for quite a while to no avail. Also, my coin appears to be nickle or something close to it. Its not magnetic at all and its not silver. My guess is its a copper/nickle combination. Any help or pointing in the right direction would be much appreciated. Thanks!

The illustrated item is an American gaming counter, $20 (double eagle) denomination. These items are cataloged in "American Counters, Part 1, Double Eagle and Eagle Gold" by L. B. (Benj) Fauver, privately published, 1983. The specific item is listed as "20"-2005 / "20"-2010 (34 mm, plain edge, issued in both brass and gold-plated brass versions).

http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_v13n19.html
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw the E-Sylum article but the token there has the number on both sides and no eagle.

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aethelred- great response... ROTFLMAO

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I saw the E-Sylum article but the token there has the number on both sides and no eagle.

image >>

<< <i>Very similiar thread just a couple weeks back on the US coin forum. It's almost certainly a gaming piece.

I have a coin similar to this one, but the other side is the heraldic eagle holding the Laurel branch and 6 arrows. The eagle is facing the arrows instead of the laurel branch. Can you tell me anything about this coin? I have been searching for it for quite a while to no avail. Also, my coin appears to be nickle or something close to it. Its not magnetic at all and its not silver. My guess is its a copper/nickle combination. Any help or pointing in the right direction would be much appreciated. Thanks!

The illustrated item is an American gaming counter, $20 (double eagle) denomination. These items are cataloged in "American Counters, Part 1, Double Eagle and Eagle Gold" by L. B. (Benj) Fauver, privately published, 1983. The specific item is listed as "20"-2005 / "20"-2010 (34 mm, plain edge, issued in both brass and gold-plated brass versions).

http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_v13n19.html >>

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Thank you for all of your responses.

Apparently there are several varieties of these items from different sources.

My $1.00 was well spent for this little item.

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Another Movie Star!

Some of these items turned up in a movie, the 1957 Allied Artists Western film
    "Gun Duel in Durango" where they are used to portray silver coins from a bank robbery.

"Gun Duel in Durango" tokens

The Eagle-Number tokens are at the bottom left and middle right of the picture.

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

<< <i>

I dream of living in a nation where we don't judge eagles by their looks, but rather by their spirit. Where the un-American looking eagles can soar along with the American looking eagles. I dream of an America where the only thing holding any eagle back is gravity, i dream of an america where old fashioned ideas about how eagles should look are cast aside. The journey may be a long one, but we can get to that America. >>

Very cool token, WB2~
  • Options
    I found out what it is.

These items are "Radiant Eagle Game Counters" which have been made for over 100 years.
    They come in various sizes and metals.

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television