Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Just how narrow is your collecting focus?

I've always collected baseball PSA HOF RCs and star Yankees, both vintage and modern.

Recently I've found myself usually drawn to just Mantle and Jeter cards. I'm considering making them my sole focus as I enjoy the challenge of the chase for tougher items.

Also, having such a wide collecting focus gets pretty expensive!

How narrow is your collecting focus, and more importantly (to me, anyway) have you been happy if you've kept it laser focused?

Comments

• Mine has been extremely broad but, like you, it is rapidly narrowing recently. Really only interested lately in Yaz cards, both graded and raw, as well as raw '59 Fleer Ted Williams
  • doog71doog71 Posts: 405 ✭✭

<< <i>Mine has been extremely broad but, like you, it is rapidly narrowing recently. Really only interested lately in Yaz cards, both graded and raw, as well as raw '59 Fleer Ted Williams >>

That's cool. I'm a Yankees fan but have always liked Yaz. That's a good collecting focus because even though he's a popular HOFer his card prices aren't through the roof (at least not yet).

I recently picked up a nice centered PSA 6 Yaz rookie. One of my favorite cards.
  • pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    My focus has change over time. I'm not focused on completing my Post WWII baseball rookies set. What I like about the set is that there are a lot of cards and a lot of demand and every card is the key card of THAT player.
    Looking forward to getting a Mantle and Mays rookie one day.
  • MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    My collecting focus is very narrow, and I'm perfectly happy with it.

Right now I only collect Jordan cards and vintage rookies and stars.

• << <i>I recently picked up a nice centered PSA 6 Yaz rookie. One of my favorite cards. >>

Jealous. So far my only Yaz rookie is a PSA 2, I'm hoping to bump to a 3. I'll post pics one day for opinions. I'd never get rid of that card though, even if a PSA 10 fell into my lap tomorrow, because my current copy was a Christmas gift from my wife and sons.

<< <i>

<< <i>I recently picked up a nice centered PSA 6 Yaz rookie. One of my favorite cards. >>

Jealous. So far my only Yaz rookie is a PSA 2, I'm hoping to bump to a 3. I'll post pics one day for opinions. I'd never get rid of that card though, even if a PSA 10 fell into my lap tomorrow, because my current copy was a Christmas gift from my wife and sons. >>

Yes! Those are always my favorite cards. When I was 10 I went to card show with my dad in Ocean City, NJ. On the way he told me how he'd cash in Coke bottles at a corner store for baseball card packs but never got his favorite player, Nellie Fox. I bought him a Fox card at that show, and he's still got it framed 32 years later.
  • hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot better focused than it was from 84-2000 I know that image. That near decade break in collect helped narrow my focus. Player collect mostly. A few guys. Scott Stevens, Chris Chelios, Pavel Bure. Chris Doleman I started collecting because I couldn't find a really, really nice 1978 Fred Dean PSA 9 or 10 at the time I had money. Wanted a HOF DE, so, Doleman was it. LOL. I liek Dwight Evans, always have, even though I've been a Yankee fan since 86. Cortez Kennedy, Clyde Drexler , a few other guys. I don't collect unopened. Packs, boxes, nothing. I leave that for everyone else Been there, bought most of whatever people buy now the first time it was released. No need for me to rehash that after thinking on it. I'll collect PSA/BGS/BVG/SGC/KSA. But in the end, prefer raw. So much more can be bought with a good eye.
    If I was purely collecting out of ONLY enjoyment, I'd probably only buy Mattingly cards.

BUT, I do need to feel I'm putting $ into something I can liquidate in the future if I had to, and I'm not sure how Mattingly values play out in the long run w/o the HOF.
  • It's funny how many Yankee fans like Dwight Evans. Dewey was my favorite as a 7, 8, 9 year old sox fan. But I hear from yanks fans constantly that he was a guy they liked and respected. For me the Yankee equivalent was Paul o'neill.
  • steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    I used to collect EVERYTHING, but slowly sold all of it and now strictly collect Psa 70's Steelers
    1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    I collect only unopened baseball from the 70's and early 80's.

Btw, Yaz is a Long Island boy so he is a.o.k. in my book. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Hi mike. Aicpa still open?

• << <i>I collect only unopened baseball from the 70's and early 80's.

Btw, Yaz is a Long Island boy so he is a.o.k. in my book. image >>

Mike, I thought you collected Seaver and other Mets cards too. No?

Interesting tidbit: sox scout was actually there to see Carl's dad, didn't know anything about the younger Yastrzemski Til that day
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    That 60 yaz is the shizzle

• PhilGPhilG Posts: 237 ✭✭
    I dabble in 93 Finest refractors. I have 3406 of them or 7.1% of the production run.
    Phil
  • jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It took me a few years to figure out that I am happiest when I have top quality vs. large quantity. This naturally leads you to a more narrow focus regardless of your budget. For me, that exclusively means high grade rookies of elite HOFers and unopened wax from their rookie years. Every time I have started to buy items that don't fit this description, I always end up selling them down the line. I vote to stay narrow and buy the best quality you can afford. My experience is you will be more proud of your collection.

<< <i>Mike, I thought you collected Seaver and other Mets cards too. No? >>

I actually collected Mets cards back in the day, but I haven't purchased any new ones in years as I'm only missing the Seaver RC in order to have every regular card printed between 1962 and 1990. I almost got that card a couple of times but it wasn't meant to be and I'm much happier adding to my unopened collection.

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.

• << <i>It took me a few years to figure out that I am happiest when I have top quality vs. large quantity. This naturally leads you to a more narrow focus regardless of your budget. For me, that exclusively means high grade rookies of elite HOFers and unopened wax from their rookie years. Every time I have started to buy items that don't fit this description, I always end up selling them down the line. I vote to stay narrow and buy the best quality you can afford. My experience is you will be more proud of your collection. >>

That's very interesting advice.
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My collecting focus is fairly narrow. I have three main areas of my collection in order of priority.

1. Cardinals team sets (20 albums full)

2. Topps base and traded sets (2013 down to 1968 are completed)

3. Signed Cardinals cards (Topps base and traded only; no reprints or manufactured out of the pack)

4. I have a small collection of Albert Pujols and Michael Jordan cards.

Shane

• itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    'bout as narrow as the distance between Brooklyn and Los Angeles.

<< <i>Hi mike. Aicpa still open? >>

Yes, although they told me to tell you they were closed. image

Collecting:
  • ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    I cant seem to keep focusedimage I switch between 80's football set registry stuff to unopened alot!! Right now, im into the unopened phase.
    But I only allow myself $25/week for cards so its save for months, buy a box. Kinda boring, but it keeps the wife at bayimage
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Narrow focus.

Nolan Ryan Master set

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like the collecting process is a natural evolution, always changing and morphing. I have periods where I branch out (usually when I learn or discover new items or avenues I didn't know existed) and then I trim all of those down to a core focus. Which lasts a while, and then I expand again, followed by another round of trimming it down. Through the process, the core groups tend to add one or two after each trimming session. I guess I'm interested in a ton of different groups, but some are temporary while others become more permanent.
  • Considering all the different brands and flavors and inserts nowadays, I think my base set collection is pretty narrow image
    Collecting Topps Baseball: 1966-present base sets
    Topps/OPC Hockey 1966-Present base sets
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Sports cards
    Sports memorabilia
    Autographs
    Selected nonsports cards

As narrow as I want it. image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • I collect Brooks Robinson cards/items. I also dabble into O's memorabilia. As a player collector, mainly, you find that you would think it's a very narrow focus, but the more you look the more you find, so there's a lot of "stuff" out there. I really don't pick up much of the shiny cards, but now and then, when I hit a dry spell, I'll start picking up a few here and there.

If I collected everything I liked, I'd go broke "quick".
    Collect Brooks Robinson and unique O's items
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    I've pretty much narrowed my focus down to things that can be bought if I have the money

<< <i>I've pretty much narrowed my focus down to things that can be bought if I have the money >>

I wasn't quite sure what I would see here. image

Collecting:
  • MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    Mine is pretty much narrowed down to completing my raw 57, 71, 75 BB in mostly raw NM condition. Also collect EXMT-ish Clementes, Mantles base cards (graded). Plus a handful of iconic rookies 50-70s, mostly baseball. Of course a few exceptions to all of this.

<< <i>It took me a few years to figure out that I am happiest when I have top quality vs. large quantity. This naturally leads you to a more narrow focus regardless of your budget. For me, that exclusively means high grade rookies of elite HOFers and unopened wax from their rookie years. Every time I have started to buy items that don't fit this description, I always end up selling them down the line. I vote to stay narrow and buy the best quality you can afford. My experience is you will be more proud of your collection. >>

This is exactly the transition I am in. I just added a PSA 9 1993 SP Jeter to my collection, but had to sell a few more abundant items to get it. I'm happier with the SP rookie by far than the items I sold to be able to obtain it.

If I had real courage I'd go get a PSA 10 1984 Topps Tiffany Mattingly rookie, but I'm just not sold on its long term value compared to nice centered Mantles and rare Jeter RCs.

• << <i>

<< <i>It took me a few years to figure out that I am happiest when I have top quality vs. large quantity. This naturally leads you to a more narrow focus regardless of your budget. For me, that exclusively means high grade rookies of elite HOFers and unopened wax from their rookie years. Every time I have started to buy items that don't fit this description, I always end up selling them down the line. I vote to stay narrow and buy the best quality you can afford. My experience is you will be more proud of your collection. >>

This is exactly the transition I am in. I just added a PSA 9 1993 SP Jeter to my collection, but had to sell a few more abundant items to get it. I'm happier with the SP rookie by far than the items I sold to be able to obtain it.

If I had real courage I'd go get a PSA 10 1984 Topps Tiffany Mattingly rookie, but I'm just not sold on its long term value compared to nice centered Mantles and rare Jeter RCs. >>

I'm in that transition too. I used to buy a bunch of vintage "bargains" for a couple of bucks each. Now I'm buying 1 or 2 graded cards a month and a lot more enthralled with my new additions.

It also has helped to have this board to make a few trades. LarkinCollector and I made a nice swap of large lots of raw cards and it was fantastic