Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Newp...Charles IIII / Minas Gerais

I've got a few newps to photograph and post as I get around to it...
Once again, the grade on this one isn't so important but since it's in a holder, might as well see how well you all can do at guessing what it was graded...have fun !

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool counterstamp. I dunno much about 'em, but think they're neat.

Brazil in the 19th century sure seemed to go in for a lot of counterstamps and overstrikes.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole New World went stamp happy for awhile ! So many cool ones...the only trouble is finding them ( and being able to afford em when you do..)image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess with so much Spanish silver out there, it was easier for a lot of places to just make up stamps rather than get their own minting equipment.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it the counterstamp as well

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I guess with so much Spanish silver out there, it was easier for a lot of places to just make up stamps rather than get their own minting equipment. >>

Here's a neat coin I'd like to find one of these days.
    Peru Libre 8 reales counterstamped with royalist crown...there are two known 960 reis struck over one of these, super cool image

Once the Spanish lost their fleet to Lord Nelson, the ability to control the American colonies was doomed and independence movements took off.
    Alot of the counterstamps are connected to the insurgents and those loyal to the Spanish crown who were fighting against the insurgency...

imageimage