Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1986 Topps Vending hoard break

I'll keep updating this as I make my way through them, but it's going to be slow going.

1st box thoughts: Why did I buy 10 of these? How many before my eyes start to bleed?

I have no idea how to measure centering on the Team Leader cards.

Every card with 4 borders (All-Stars, TBC) was horribly off-center one direction or the other.

Does PSA prefer mid->high T/B centering like other issues or perfectly centered T/B on these?

1st pass PSA10 candidates - quick check of R/L centering, corners, PD - not whittled down and haven't checked POP to see if they're even worth it in a 10 yet

Stars - 1 PSA 10 candidate and others with issues

Comments

• Options
    LOL why DID you buy ten?? Haha have fun Kyle. Too bad Yaz wasn't around in '86, or we could make another deal to take some of those off your hands.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>LOL why DID you buy ten?? >>

It was really an accident, throwing out a 'if these go really cheap I have a chance' bid on a lot of 10 and I won for about $10 under my snipe.
  • Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It was really an accident, throwing out a 'if these go really cheap I have a chance' bid on a lot of 10 and I won for about $10 under my snipe. >>

Haha, I have piles of this in my garage. "Well, if I can get 4 factory sets for less than $2 each, why not?"
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    I ripped a six box rack case this week and thought my head was going to explode when I was done. Every single card in every center section was diamond cut, meaning all the Ryans and Roses among others. Did get some very nice sandberg and carters, so it should turn out just fine. My first pass had probably 100 or so gradable cards, by the time I was done looking closely under good magnification and light, the final sub will be around 25 out of 7000~. 86 are a beast... g/l on yours.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>I ripped a six box rack case this week and thought my head was going to explode when I was done. Every single card in every center section was diamond cut, meaning all the Ryans and Roses among others. Did get some very nice sandberg and carters, so it should turn out just fine. My first pass had probably 100 or so gradable cards, by the time I was done looking closely under good magnification and light, the final sub will be around 25 out of 7000~. 86 are a beast... g/l on yours. >>

So given those odds, I'll find 18 submittable in 10 vending boxes? Probably less, given that racks typically produce more gradable cards than vending? What have I gotten myself into? image

Oh well, busy weekend planned, so probably won't be back to these until Monday...
  • Options
    Box 2 - Initial pass PSA 10 candidates + Roger Clemens (every one in the first 3 boxes has the same yellow PD in the 'E' of 'RED')

Nothing actually on the Wynne, something on the scanner. Up next the box 3 scans...
  • Options
    This is cool. Threads with rows and rows of card pictures are the best
  • Options
    RyanAdmirerRyanAdmirer Posts: 632 ✭✭
    Just a heads up on something you probably already realize- there are a lot in your scans that have T/B centering off. If that sucker ain't in the middle you can forget a "10"
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just a heads up on something you probably already realize- there are a lot in your scans that have T/B centering off. If that sucker ain't in the middle you can forget a "10" >>

I was thinking some were tilted too?? Brookens in particuliar.
  • Options

<< <i>Just a heads up on something you probably already realize- there are a lot in your scans that have T/B centering off. If that sucker ain't in the middle you can forget a "10" >>

Yes, I was using R/L centering and corner touches to eliminate most, T/B centering, tilt, and surfaces will be assessed in the 2nd pass. Can you point to one you think the T/B centering looks good to use as a reference? I know on some issues PSA prefers it a touch high.
  • Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Larkin, I know this thread is almost a year old, but I was wondering if you ended up subbing any your cards in the pics and how they came out?

I have a handful im contemplating subbing next time there is a decent bulk special.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one thing that struck me about all of these cards is look how skinny everyone was back then - except for Brian Downing no juicing going on yet....
  • Options
    Imagine how great this set would be if there were just 1 or 2 stellar rookies in it.
  • Options

<< <i>Larkin, I know this thread is almost a year old, but I was wondering if you ended up subbing any your cards in the pics and how they came out?

I have a handful im contemplating subbing next time there is a decent bulk special. >>

No, I decided I would rather rip my eyes out than look at more 86s image I only made it through 6 of the 10 boxes, and will have to be desperate before I contemplate the rest. My vision was seeing everything with a tilted black and white border for weeks.

<< <i>Imagine how great this set would be if there were just 1 or 2 stellar rookies in it. >>

+1, I always loved it for all the Rose cards, but when Cecil Fielder is the top rookie card to chase....