Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2014 Donruss Baseball

Looks like Panini is bringing the Donruss brand back with a 2014 showcase. Anyone opening these? Donruss was my favorite when I was a kid.

Comments

• Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    I'm waiting for the UPS man, as he is currently holding 5 boxes hostage on his truck today!

Can't wait to rip them!
  • Options
    Who did you buy from? I know that some might curse me for this one, but I'm actually thinking about bypassing Heritage this year and buying this product instead.
  • Options
    Blowoutcards
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a pretty fun rip at 65 a box. Only 8 cards a pack though, that's kinda weak.

BOX BREAK
    - 2 Autographs
    - 1 Game Gear Memorabilia Card
    - 4 Diamond Kings
    - 4 Rated Rookies
    - 1 Silver Press Proof,
    - 2 Breakout Hitters
    - 2 Breakout Pitchers
    - 2 Hall Worthy
    - 2 The Rookies
    - 1 Team Mvp
    - 1 No-No'S,
    - 1 5X7 Diamond Kings Box Topper
    - 1 Season Stat Line
    - 1 Career Stat Line
    - 3 Power Plus
  • Options
    well they have to offer more than what Topps puts out to make the sales. 2 autos per box at $65 is better than $100 for 1 auto that Topps gives. But what will be in higher demand? Its like PSA or BCCG?
  • Options
    This is why I'm thinking about passing on Heritage. $70 for one auto is a lot. I can buy the set in a couple of weeks, which is what I want, and search ebay for the auto's and relic's I want.

Donruss doesn't have the power to out do Topps, but for me, I'll open it because of what you mentioned and because it's Donruss.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Based on their licensing, are they only allowed to make cards of certain players?? Is that why this set is so small??
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭

<< <i>Who did you buy from? I know that some might curse me for this one, but I'm actually thinking about bypassing Heritage this year and buying this product instead. >>

What the hell is the matter with you? image

This product actually looks interesting, might grab a box or two.
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Does Donruss have permission to use the team logos?
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Nope, no license. What Donruss has done is to use photos that don't ever show the front of a player (team logo/name) or hat fronts. It's a pretty strategic way to get around the licensing issue. Notice hat fronts are air brushed where necessary, but really, hey did a pretty good job of getting around the issue. There is also a wrapper redemption program being offered for the last three cards offered in one of the subsets. These players have not been named yet, supposedly rookies. I haven't seen the player list yet, but it looks like most cards are from players of yester-year. Two autos and a game used per hobby box for about $70, not bad.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nope, no license. What Donruss has done is to use photos that don't ever show the front of a player (team logo/name) or hat fronts. It's a pretty strategic way to get around the licensing issue. Notice hat fronts are air brushed where necessary, but really, hey did a pretty good job of getting around the issue. . >>

Just checked eBay to see what they look like, and you almost don't notice the lack of logos

• Options
    So, I received my 5 boxes from Blowoutcards today and commenced the ripping this evening...

I have one HUGE COMPLAINT about this rip I just did...

I WISH I HAD MORE THAN 5 BOXES!!!!

I know people will be down on this product, but I loved it. Not only did it provide a familiar retro feel to rippping back in the 80's, but I was actually pretty impressed with the product overall. I very good, managable mix of modern players with a decent number of older players mixed in (Nolan Ryan, Pete Rose, Cal Ripken Jr, Reggie Jackson, Ken Griffey Jr, Frank Thomas... to name a few). Most impressive, the inserts are very sharp!

I pulled many gradable cards... and personally, as a PSA player collector, it's nice to have Donruss back in the mix for requirement in the player Basic sets!!!

Here are some scans...

These first two scans... I hit a HOT BOX... not 2 auto's & 1 game used as advertised... but 2 auto's and 3 game used! Also, hits on the best Rated Rookies and some really good insert hits!

Here are my 10 autograph hits...

Not spectacular, but my best hit of the break... Patch card serial numbered to 25 (the standard game used aren't numbered)...

Cheers

-E
  • Options
    The base design looks weirdly reminiscent of 1978 Topps and Donruss mix. You think?
  • Options
    After seeing those pictures I can't wait for my box to be here next week. My only fear...that I'll want more.
  • Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    This set could be a game changer for Baseball cards because of the License deal. Topps has paid so much to produce cards with the team logos and have the exclusive that something like 30% of each dollar that Topps makes goes to MLB. I like this $65 dollar product that gives you more than Topps. I might have to break down and try to make a set.
  • Options
    Finally sorted through all 5 of my boxes... now I'm ready to trade/sell...

Here is what I need to finish my set:

Diamond Kings: 4, 5, 7, 22, 23

Here is what I have to trade (or sell):

Diamond Kings: 1 (Harper), 15 (D.Wright), 29 (Tulowitzki), 30 (Headley)
    Rated Rookies: 32 (Billy Hamilton), 39 (James Paxton)

As for the base set, with the exception of Mike Trout (all my extras will be heading to Newport Beach), I have 2-6 of every card. If you're a player collector, or a team collector, interested in picking up the Donruss base cards without having to bust any of the product... let me know.

All my inserts will likely be heading to eBay, or Sportlots, when time allows
  • Options
    GuruGuru Posts: 3,127
    My box should be here in the next couple of hours. Excited with anticipation!
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Are these in stores anywhere??? I've been looking but haven't been able to find any
  • Options
    GuruGuru Posts: 3,127
    I haven't seen any in box stores. My local hobby shop isn't carrying them either.
  • Options

<< <i>The base design looks weirdly reminiscent of 1978 Topps and Donruss mix. You think? >>

I made that exact statement at my LCS when I busted my box.
    It was a fun rip for me. I kept my yankees and better player base cards. I just sold some parallels on eBay. If I wasn't invested in a case of heritage I would go for more of this. Will prob pick up some more if price goes down.