Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Panini Revives the Donruss Brand....thoughts?

I am seeing an article from Sports Collector's Daily about Panini reviving the Donruss brand. While I like it, I am not thrilled about for. For one major reason: Panini does not have the rights to major league logos.

So now all the cards look like Broder cards in my opinion.

What do you think?

Donruss Lives

Comments

• robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2017 4:10PM
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I saw in the article, they don't look too bad, but are definitely lacking something. There are a lot of chopped head shots to cut off the hat/helmet, some awkward angles to avoid logos, but not as much bad airbrush as I was expecting. The one thing I like about no full MLB license is Pete Rose will be included.
  • Agree with Robert on both points. And Kyle, LOVE the new avatar! I can't even remember what your old one was, but this is perfect.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Too much wasted space on the base card. Logo is oversized.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Ugly cards. No thanks.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • The one thing I like about no full MLB license is Pete Rose will be included.

Absolutely! Just bought a box on eBay. Can't wait to rip into it next week. I love the old school feel of this card. Not too worried about them not having a full MLB license. I'm not going to put my unopened Donruss out with this box because I'm fearful I might rip into that as well. image
  • hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't even know it left. But I don't buy much modern image
  • Donruss was my favorite manufacturer in the 80s, so I'm glad they're back. However, I don't like how these cards look. As someone else mentioned, the logos are too big. I like the Diamond Kings, but I don't like the freaky borders on the other cards. The backs are nice and reminiscent of the older Donruss cards. However, the best Donruss sets in the 80s signified to me really nice eye appeal for the cards, and these look like the worst Donruss sets from the 80s.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ugly cards. No thanks. >>

Yeah, I can't say I was impressed with the few cards shown in the article linked above. They look flat, dull, and way too much wasted space resulting in small photos/artwork.