Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The folly of "No Returns"

So since Ebay almost always (always?) sides with the buyer under their "Ebay Buyer Protection", why does anyone list "no returns" in their auctions?

Why not just offer a full return policy so at least you get the goodwill of potential buyers?

Comments

• There are some legitimate, honest buyers, who normally wouldn't return unless something has been seriously misrepresented. There are also less honest buyers who will charge back, no matter what the return policy. If you offer a return policy, you stand the chance of the honest buyer thinking that it is ok to return, just because they changed their mind.
  • doog71doog71 Posts: 405 ✭✭

<< <i>There are some legitimate, honest buyers, who normally wouldn't return unless something has been seriously misrepresented. There are also less honest buyers who will charge back, no matter what the return policy. If you offer a return policy, you stand the chance of the honest buyer thinking that it is ok to return, just because they changed their mind. >>

That makes sense. I guess to me it's more valuable to communicate returns allowed to potential buyers, since you're basically forced to do so anyway.

• << <i>So since Ebay almost always (always?) sides with the buyer under their "Ebay Buyer Protection", why does anyone list "no returns" in their auctions?

Why not just offer a full return policy so at least you get the goodwill of potential buyers? >>

From my experience, I offer "no returns" for all raw cards auctions. For all graded cards, I always offer returns. Raw cards are often open to varying "interpretations" on condition and in my experience, tend to be ripe for people with abuse the return process (my opinion from my selling experience on ebay); I always post 300 DPI scans so people know what the raw card looks like. For graded cards, the "opinion" of condition is on the slab. They know exactly what they are getting and I see very few people asking for returns because they "changed their mind" with these items. This may not answer your question, but in general I do not feel "return vs no return" significantly drives sales. It may contribute somewhat, but price contributes more.